Thanks

Default Positive OPK on CD 10?

Ok, a little bit of background info:

I had a "mid cycle" ultrasound on Saturday, even though it was only CD 7 (I have to go back in this Friday for the REAL mid-cycle one) and I had a follie that was .9 cm on the left side and several that were almost that big on the right side (which they said was very good for only CD 7). They told me to start doing the OPK's today (which is CD 10) and I got a smiley face (a positive). I took Clomid on CD 3-7 and I'm also taking Metformin and I know taking the Clomid so early and the Metformin will shorten my cycle, but CD 10 seems a little early for a positive OPK. I guess my questions is: Do I need to keep doing an OPK for the next couple of days just to make sure it wasn't a fluke? Have any of you ever had this situation before? I don't want to be too hopeful...but I also want it to be right!

Thanks

I would BD like crazy regardless, and for your own peace of mind do the OPKs for a few more days. It does seem early, but you never know. Is this your first medicated cycle? How long are your cycles normally (if the exist, that is. Mine sure don't!)? Take into account that your surge can indicate ovulation as far as 2 days (48 hours) from when you received your positive, so if you got your positive on CD10, you could POSSIBLY be looking at a CD12 O date, which is only a few days earlier than "normal" on a 28 day cycle.

Personally, the earliest I've O'd was CD15 and that was with Clomid alone. I received my positive on CD 13 that cycle.

I've added Metformin to the mix so I'm interested in seeing if that bumps up my O date a bit now.

GL and baby dust!
    DX PCOS 2001
    My Cinco de Mayo Miracle: JAXON SCOTT
    May 5, 2011
    9lb8oz, 21 1/4"
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Oh, and another thing I'm sure you're aware of:

Women with PCOS can test positive on OPK's all the time because our LH levels can always be high (or low, etc). If you read the box, it will say something about PCOS and false positive or something.
    DX PCOS 2001
    May 5, 2011
    9lb8oz, 21 1/4"
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I have about an every two month cycle...ugh. But it's not really an AF, just a bleed. I will definitely keep doing the OPK's...but I don't understand why my RE would tell me to do the OPK if I could get a positive all the time? Also, how do you know which specific day that you O? This isn't my first medicated cycle, but it's the first that I'm doing with my RE who is doing the ultrasounds, bloodwork, etc. I just feel like I'm getting my hopes up, but I really want this to be the real thing.

Thanks

You know, I never understood why my doctor had me do OPK's either considering I've read many women on here who straight up can't use them because they always get positives. I on the other hand, seem to be successful using them. I think the ones who have to worry are those who have elevated LH all the time, verified through blood work.

I know my specific O dates based on BBT charting and my OPKs. Try fertilityfriend.com. They have free charting software and it has always nailed my cycles down to O date, etc. You enter in different stats about your cycle and your temps and it does all the work for you. I've even printed out my charts to bring to my doc so he has a better idea of my cycles. It's really a great resource!
    DX PCOS 2001
    May 5, 2011
    9lb8oz, 21 1/4"
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the advice! A little update on my situation...I got a negative OPK today...I'm so confused! How is that possible???

Thanks

Well, it is possible you are actually Oing, or about to if you got your positive! Again, just BD like crazy! I have had a few cycles that I didn't ever test positive and still confirmed an O, so OPKs aren't completely what we should live by. Also, if you did in fact have a legit early OPK positive, you wouldn't neccesarily stay positive for more than that day anyway! GL!
    DX PCOS 2001
    May 5, 2011
    9lb8oz, 21 1/4"
    Hidden Content

Thanks

That same thing happend to me on CD10, we did a US to check and it was not time yet. Some people with pcos ebb and flow with their lh surges. n One problem i was having was those internet cheapies were just so confusing to me and it seems like i got + all the time on them. But my CBEFM NEVER gave me a peak. This time around i did the digital with the smilie face and i got a SMILE on Cd19. But yet the cheapie didn't look +.

It looks like you did the + so my story is not much help. But we all just have such different cycles. Mine + i was not well hydrated teh day before and used my first mornign urine and the internets didn't want the first urine, but the CBE digitals do.
    It is not our Abilities that show us who we truly are... but our choices!

adopted sibling group of 5 Sept 2006 Hidden Content
    Miscarriage Nov 2010
    First IUI with femara cycle began July 2013
    Cd11 Ultrasound follies left side 12, right side 9,8,7,6,6

Hidden Content

Thanks

I have gotten a smiley today and yesterday both (CD 18 & 19)...and this is the same cycle as the one that I got the positive OPK on day 10! My body is so weird lol. We are BDing like crazy right now trying to make this the first and last cycle of Clomid and that hideous Metformin! Good luck to you too!