Thanks

Default metformin vs. gluten free

I've heard conflicting reports about how gluten free diets may restore regular AF cycles. I was on BC (Yasmin) for 6 years after my PCOS diagnosis, but I wanted to try something other than contraception to regulate my AF. Provera causes me to go into a depression for 3 weeks and I haven't tried the prometrium yet, but my RE told me it would cause yeast/bacterial overgrowth, which I am prone to get.

I've been on Metformin for 3 weeks, but it makes me terribly nauseous and I've also been trying to go gluten free, since I've heard that can "fix" irregular AF. Has anyone had any positive experiences as a thin cyster on a gluten free diet in terms of a regular AF after some period of time?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm definitely not a thin cyster but I went gluten-free a few months ago and started met again about a month ago. Since then I've had 3 regular cycles, which is unheard of for me, although one was induced with prometrium (because my RE wanted to make sure I had a good full lining shedding before we started TTC, not necessarily to induce AF).

The thing about gluten-free is, even if you don't have full blown celiac, you may be sensitive to it and not know. Basically gluten can inhibit your bodies ability to absorb nutrients for food (for up to a week after you last ate some), so when you go GF, you can restore your body's ability to absorb them. I finally did it because my mom is gluten-sensitive and kept telling me it might help with my PCOS issues. So far it seems like she was right. Plus I can't even explain how much better I FEEL.
    Proud Vegan - I lost 75 lbs. & hubby lost 65!

DH: 29
    Me: 36 - hello, "advanced maternal age"!
    First Pregnancy
    Femara 3-7, Estradiol (5mm lining again), Prog after O, IUI

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I am a thin cyster and a gluten-free diet has done wonders for me! After not getting my AF for YEARS without the assistance of BCP I went gluten free and after a few months of eating that way I got AF all on my own. It also decreased my hair growth, helped me regulate my weight better and totally cleared up my acne. There is actually a pretty clear link between gluten sensitivities and PCOS. If you Google "Gluten and PCOS", you will find some helpful info.
    My symptoms are almost all gone and I conceived a baby with no drugs using a completely holistic treatment
    Me: 28

DH: 33

RX: Exercise, Gluten-free/low GI/vegan/unprocessed diet, meditation, accupuncture, love!

Herbal RX: Magnesium, Women's multi, Maca, Udo's 3.6.9 w/DHA

Thanks

This is a strange topic for me, when I was younger , maybe 11 or so I was tested for celiacs. They said I was positive. Then they said they misread the test and it was close but it was not positive. I dont know what that really means but there is seriously no way I can cut out all gluten considering I have already cut out milk and high carb foods. I would love to hear more about this. If going gluten free helps pcos, because of absorbtion, then wouldnt that mean that we re lacking in some nutrient?
    Me (26) DH(31) DS(4) 123 lbs 5'6 Oily Skin, Acne, Irregular periods, Thinning hair
    MTHFR, PCOS (although I think AAE is more fitting)
    Currently taking
    100 mg Aldactone, Diane -35, Retin-A
    Tests before pregnancy and breastfeeding revealed:
    DHEAS (335) Testosterone (85) LH:FSH 1:1 (it has been higher previously) Fasting insulin 7.5
    Tests done 06/23/2010-LH 11.2 FSH 4.7
    Tests done Sept 2010-All normal!
    Tests April 2013-Low everything? Not normal. I

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not just some nutrients, all of them. My understanding is, basically some/all of the protein in gluten doesn't get broken down by your body so it passes through to your small intestine where it damages/destroys the fingery villi thingies that stick up and absorb the nutrients from passing food (they will regenerate if you change your diet.) It's also one of those things where cutting back doesn't really do you any good. Those villi are either alive or they aren't.

I know it sounds daunting, but I'm a vegan (no dairy of any kind, no eggs, no animal products) and I also do not eat soy or gluten. Carbohydrates are okay for me at least, I stick with non-processed, complex carbohydrates like whole grains (quinoa is the bomb). In the beginning I thought it would be impossible, but you start finding things that work for you, and instead of it being a deprivation for me, I ended up finding lots of new foods I never would have tried that I absolutely love. In a way it's expanded my food horizons.

In the end though, it's about finding what's comfortable and what works for you. I had to tinker for a long time to figure out what worked for me. When I was making my changes, I did 3 week trials of whatever I was doing. It's long enough to see if you feel better and also if it's workable with your life. After the three weeks, there wasn't anything I really felt I needed to add back in.

First Pregnancy

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I tried to go gluten free today, ha I Failed. We went to McDonalds to eat (grandmas choice since it was her b day!) and everything had gluten it seemed like. Also DH made shake and bake for supper. Yikes.

Glitch, did you find cutting out gluten helped you? And if so, what symptoms did it help *curious*
    Me (26) DH(31) DS(4) 123 lbs 5'6 Oily Skin, Acne, Irregular periods, Thinning hair
    Currently taking
    DHEAS (335) Testosterone (85) LH:FSH 1:1 (it has been higher previously) Fasting insulin 7.5

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm not a thin cyster, but I have been gluten-free for seven years now. I have Celiac Disease and PCOS. It all just depends on the individual. I will say that it will not fix AF problems for everybody.
    Christina (28) DH (32)
    Married: 03/08/08 Hidden Content
    TTC #1 since July 2010
    Dh's SA: Came back great!! Hidden Content
    November: 50mg Clomid (CD5-9) Canceled due to no follical growth
    December: 100mg Clomid (CD3-7)
    January: On a Clomid break this month Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BookAddict View Post
    I tried to go gluten free today, ha I Failed. We went to McDonalds to eat (grandmas choice since it was her b day!) and everything had gluten it seemed like. Also DH made shake and bake for supper. Yikes.

Glitch, did you find cutting out gluten helped you? And if so, what symptoms did it help *curious*

LOL, BookAddict. Yeah, without family support it's significantly more difficult to do. Luckily, DH is willing to do/eat anything if I tell him it's healthy. We joke about it, "You'd eat my flip-flop if I told you it was good for you." He's kookier than me, even. If you ever decide you seriously want to try it, there are websites for celiacs/gluten-sensitive folks that list gluten-free restaurant options and restaurants that are gluten-free-friendly.

As far as whether it helped me, I'd say definitely. I have been an on-and-off insomniac for most of my life. Since I switched, I haven't had any problems. Also, I'm a big girl and even with metformin have had weight loss trouble (I always would lose, then plateau for a long time) and my plateau ended and the weight just started falling off after I went G-F. Excess hair growth has been a lot better, and my cycles have become very regular, they used to be anywhere from 3-6 months long. But I've also added metformin around the same time frame that may have helped with the cycle regularity. Hard to say which, but I'm going with both.

First Pregnancy

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I think we are soul mates, Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Not just some nutrients, all of them. My understanding is, basically some/all of the protein in gluten doesn't get broken down by your body so it passes through to your small intestine where it damages/destroys the fingery villi thingies that stick up and absorb the nutrients from passing food (they will regenerate if you change your diet.) It's also one of those things where cutting back doesn't really do you any good. Those villi are either alive or they aren't.

I know it sounds daunting, but I'm a vegan (no dairy of any kind, no eggs, no animal products) and I also do not eat soy or gluten. Carbohydrates are okay for me at least, I stick with non-processed, complex carbohydrates like whole grains (quinoa is the bomb). In the beginning I thought it would be impossible, but you start finding things that work for you, and instead of it being a deprivation for me, I ended up finding lots of new foods I never would have tried that I absolutely love. In a way it's expanded my food horizons.

In the end though, it's about finding what's comfortable and what works for you. I had to tinker for a long time to figure out what worked for me. When I was making my changes, I did 3 week trials of whatever I was doing. It's long enough to see if you feel better and also if it's workable with your life. After the three weeks, there wasn't anything I really felt I needed to add back in.
    My symptoms are almost all gone and I conceived a baby with no drugs using a completely holistic treatment
    Me: 28

DH: 33

RX: Exercise, Gluten-free/low GI/vegan/unprocessed diet, meditation, accupuncture, love!

Herbal RX: Magnesium, Women's multi, Maca, Udo's 3.6.9 w/DHA

Thanks

I have no digestion problems then, so I doubt that I have a gluten problem...
    Currently taking

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You won't necessarily feel digestive problems. I never felt like I had issues with it either, which was why I was so resistant to it when my mom kept suggesting it. Just because people don't have full blown celiac doesn't mean they don't have issues with gluten. Someone mentioned above, googling PCOS and gluten intolerance should come up with lots of links, if you're curious.

Holly: I <3 you. I just noticed your signature! I will see if DH will share soulmate status with you.

First Pregnancy

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I yahoo'd it but all I found were things talking about digestive problems and how the intestine was so damaged from these digestive problems that it caused vitamins to not be absorbed, leading to PCOS. Thats what made me think...I have no digestive problems...so how would my digestive system be so damaged that it wouldnt absorb vitamins ? So I dont think the ruined digestive system causing mal absorbtion of nutrients is the cause for me. I wonder if there are any other ties of gluten and pcos, like things that have other reasons for the connection between the two ?
    Currently taking

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was gluten free for a long time but since starting a low GI diet I've had to revert back to gluten products because any gluten free products that are available seem to have a really high GI. How do you all get around this issue?
    TTC #1Hidden Content

NOT insulin resistant but LOVING the insulin resistance dietHidden Content ;

Panic attack free and med free for 4 years now since using The Linden Method. Had been having 4 panics attacks a day prior to this, even when on meds!

Thanks

I've been gluten free since March, after reading that their could be a possible connection between gluten and PCOS. My cycles are now on a regular basis, every 36 or 37 days, which isn't ideal, but better then the 90 days I had before. I also don't have as much spotting as I had before, as long as I stay lower carb. If I have too many gluten free treats that are high carb, I spot like crazy, but still have my cycle on the 37th day. I believe I've ovulated every cycle. Summer- I try to eat food that is naturally gluten free, such as meat, cheese, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit (once a day). It's amazing to me how many carbs are in gluten free food. Though, I confess to eating a corn tortilla, potato chips or ice cream every once in a while.