Thanks

Question Change in hair texture?

I have always been a "shedder". Until recently, my hair loss was what I considered normal for a woman with medium length, thick, naturally curly hair. About 6 weeks ago, my hair began to come out in massive amounts (only when I washed my hair). Naturally I freaked...this went on for about 2 weeks until it finally began to slow down. Today, it is still coming out a tad bit more than what I had once considered normal, but nothing like it did durning those two weeks of hell.

I now believe that stress was the culprit (the #1 cause for hair loss). I had dislocated a rib in my upper back and was in severe pain for a good length of time.

My question to you ladies who have experienced this type of hair loss...Has you hair changed texture? My thick curls used to be soft and easy to manage. My hair, while much thinner, seems to be rough and unmanageable with no change in cleansing or styling products, and we are in the heart of winter here in the South...no humidity!

I doubt very seriously that my hair will revert back to its natural luster...I am on my way to the salon!
    Last edited by SouthernGirl; 02-12-2003 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks

Although my hair loss if cause by a different reason than stress, I saw this webpage that might be of interest to you regarding stress and hair loss and approaches to reversal of it.

http://www.mmtresearch.com/stress.htm
    Symptoms: Obesity, Hirsutism, Hair Loss, Irregular Menstruation, Insulin Resistance, Hypothyroidism, Acid Reflux, Acanthosis Nigricans

Daily Medications/Vitamins: 500 mg Flutamide, 137 mcg Synthroid, 1000 mg Metformin, Apri (BCPs),
    40 mg Omaprezole, 300 mg Ranitidine, .5 mg Enapril, Zyrtec, Women's Ultramega Multivitamin

Weight Stats: Original: 230, Current: 209, Short/Long Term Goals: 200/130
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the info....you can understand how stress can kill!

I had about 1.5 inches cut off yesterday...my hair feels much better. My hairdresser made the comment that it looked like someone had gone through my hair with thinning shears. Almost varying textures....but it is growing back now.

Thanks

A great website for hair loss:

http://www.hormonehelpny.com/column/alopecia.htm

• Maureen 36, DH is 35
    • Momma to Declan Christopher, born 9/2/03
    • STILL happily and proudly breastfeeding my big boy! Hidden Content
    • Before pregnancy, went from 175 to 136 thanks to Hidden Content , exercise and low glycemic index foods. Polycystic appearing ovaries are gone; ovulated regularly; bloodwork normal.
      Improvement in hirsuitism and androgenic alopecia is greatly improved. AN and cystic acne are gone!
    • Improvements in skin and hair due to Hidden Content , standardized, 160mg 2x day. (no longer on it due to PG and BFing). Hidden Content