Thanks

Default Did my RE prescribe me a wrong Gonal-F dosage?

So I've been Googling for the last hour and I can't find a straight answer...my RE prescribed me 100iu of Gonal-F. The dial skips from 75 to 112.5. Others with the same question were just given the advice to use 112.5, but today was already my 3rd day of doing ~100, so my question is, the notches on the dial are just a guide, and it doesn't have to be set on one of them, does it? I hope not - I'd probably have a little meltdown on my RE if I have somehow just wasted 3 days' of medication! I have gotten a little droplet each time when I've withdrawn the needle, so I would assume it's ok. Just need some reassurance here.
    BFP 10/18/10 on 1st round of injects - ended in chem pg
    BFP 11/21/10 on 2nd round of injects - perfect little boy! 5:27 p.m. on 8/10/11 @ 41w
    Surprise BFP on 1/12/12 - ended in chem pg or m/c

Thanks

That is really weird that they would prescribe you to take 100iu per day. I was started on 75iu, and the nurses always tell me depending on my estrogen level and ultrasound findings my doctor may bump me up to the next dose of 112.5iu. Also, when we took the Gonal-f class at our RE's office, they nurse stated that we must make sure we have the dial tuned to the correct dosage number. Is your RE open on weekends so you can ask them how to proceed? I would be worried that you are trying to do 100iu each night and in turn you are wasting 12.5iu every time.

Tribbles on board AnotherDreamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Well the Gonal-f comes in 37.5iu notches, so it is a little odd dose. Maybe it was an oversight? Never hesitate to call and ask them (If you're still going to the same clinic, you can call them between 8am and 9am on the weekends. Sometimes you have to leave a message, but they're pretty good at getting back to you.)

As for starting on the higher dose than 75iu, I would guess they're going on previous history of response- like if you were Clomid or Femara resistant. The dose can always be lowered if there is too much response too, injects are much more subjective than oral meds. I always start injects on 225iu, but we know from previous cycles that anything lower is useless for me. Everyone is different though. So hopefully the dose has been working out for you, but it's hard telling until you get in there.

As for the droplet coming out after, that's normal. Try leaving the needle in a few minutes longer to see if that helps.
    Stephanie 29 & DH 29 :: Hidden Content
    Miscarriages: 5/08, 3/09, 11/09
    4 years & injects/IUI= DS 12/11
    injects/IUI= DD twins born 06/14
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." --Winston Churchill
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Jack Francis was born 9/4 Mixse's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm...I've never heard of a 100 IU dose...when I watched the video, it says to make sure the pen is clicked into a dosage setting. My RE's nurse confused me at first when she said, You are taking "One 12.5 dose..." When I looked at the pen and it started at 75, I thought how do I do a 12.5 dose? Ooops...communication error. Sounds like you may have one too. I'd call and clarify so you don't waste the cycle/meds.
    ME (Monica): 33 DH (Mike): 43 Married 6 years! Hidden Content
    DS: Jack Francis 9/4/08

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, ladies. This is the first time I've been able to get on SC all day, grrr! Page wouldn't load.

Anyway, Stephanie, yep, I do still go to RGI and I have an appt tomorrow morning so I'll ask. I went ahead and did 112.5 tonight. I noticed it clicked 3 times, while the (estimated!) 100 only clicked twice.
    BFP 11/21/10 on 2nd round of injects - perfect little boy! 5:27 p.m. on 8/10/11 @ 41w

Thanks

I just realized I made a typo, I meant a few more seconds not minutes. Oops!

Yeah, SC has been having a lot of issues lately. Been a pain...

If there was just two clicks, it may have only been 75iu going in then Each click is usually 37.5iu. I mean maybe it was more, but it's more likely that it wasn't.

Hope they can clear things up tomorrow for you though.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I agree that is strange. When i went for the gonal f class, they said also to make sure it is on a dosage... I hope it works out for you!
    Kimberly (34) Dee (34) same-sex couple

PCOS
    James Robert is here!! 7lbs 9 oz 6/3/2011
    TTC again in 2014!

Have my first pumpkin! winddrop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

It is such a crap shoot when they are first figuring out dosage on an injectible cycle that I wouldn't really worry too much about it your first few doses being off.
    **FYI, this took FOREVER to be able to post**
    Kari (37), DH (36)Hidden Content ; TTC#2 9/13
    DS 11/2011
    Meds: Met, Synthrod
    *Detailed past treatment history in profile

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDreamer View Post
    I just realized I made a typo, I meant a few more seconds not minutes. Oops!
    Haha! I didn't even notice that! I remember reading it (because I counted to 20 before withdrawing the needle last night, LOL) but I read it as seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by winddrop View Post
    **FYI, this took FOREVER to be able to post**
    Ugh, I know! One days last week I posted the same reply 3x in a row because when I clicked "post" I kept getting an error, but I guess it was posting despite the error. I appreciate having this community, but like I posted on a thread about the site, lately it's getting to be more work and frustration than it is help!

Thanks

Oh, and duh! Forgot to update on my dr appt (and there's no way I'm even going to attempt to edit my post, LOL - it might make my computer self-implode! ) - the RE just kinda laughed it off - "Oh, we're used to prescribing Follistim which comes in 25iu increments (didn't get my Gonal-F from them). Dr. X wrote down 100iu and I looked at it and the nurse looked at it and none of us caught it, haha." I had several little follies, the largest being ~8mm and based on my estrogen level I'm to bump up to 150iu tonight.

Thanks

Jen: When I was on Bravelle they had to keep remembering it came in 75iu because they don't normally prescribe that either, but no issues after the first cycle. I think that since they've moved offices things have been a lot more hurried, like they have more clients and less time or something. Don't know if you've noticed anything like that too. But glad you have some growing, that is a pretty good response so early on I think the 150iu will get things really going.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks Steph! I have noticed that about the clinic, but for me it's been the same since they were in their old location. "My" dr is only in on Tuesdays so I just see whoever is available any other day of the week, so I feel like I tend to fall through the cracks. EVERY TIME, without fail, I am asked how much my copay is, when it's supposed to be in my file. I have yet to get a bill this year (and at this point, I don't even want to see it! *faints*). And at my baseline u/s this time, they were writing me a scrip for Femara when I came out of the room, didn't even realize I was starting injects. But get me knocked up and all will be forgiven! LOL

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I do feel like everyone who works there is *very* caring, especially Dr J and "my" dr, Dr M, and the nurses! I just feel like seeing different drs all the time doesn't allow any of them to be familiar enough with what's going on with me. And also to their credit, with more nurses than they had at their old location, I do receive callbacks on a much timelier basis!

Thanks

Jen: I imagine that must be really difficult with your doctor only in one a week Just curious, did you request Dr. M or is that who you got? I went with Dr. J because she's only at the office we go to, so she's almost always there (on occasion she has been at a conference or such though). And I liked her at our consult. Either way, yes. Very caring, but sometimes they seem like a little rushed or not altogether. Although my old clinic they didn't even usually look at my chart, so at least Dr. J always does that here lol. They double check my co-pay to make sure nothing's changed, but I always see they have it written on my paper at the front desk.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content