I want to see BLUE PEE!! mystik817's Avatar
    Thanks

Default HCG (trigger) shots used instead of progesterone for luetal phase support...

Anyone else doing this? My RE had be trigger this morning, IUI tomorrow at 1pm then another HCG trigger shot on Monday for LP support instead of progesterone (crinone) that I have done in the past. Anyone else heard of this? I am really nervous. But then again I was on progesterone last time I had a early m/c so maybe this will work better.
    Misty & Gary Hidden Content Lauren (4)

Hidden Content

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted me what I asked of him." I Samuel 1:27

Have my first pumpkin! winddrop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have heard of it. One lady that had many loses actually had HCG shots I think about once a week her first trimester.
    Kari (37), DH (36)Hidden Content ; TTC#2 9/13
    DS 11/2011
    Meds: Met, Synthrod
    *Detailed past treatment history in profile

Thanks

Thanks! I did a lot of research and I guess it is a popular choice. I wonder why I never heard of it before. I am only doing one shot in the LP so I hope that's all I need. I have 4 follies that may release, so many I will have enough CL to give me enough progesterone to support at least one embryo!

Hidden Content

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted me what I asked of him." I Samuel 1:27

Have my first pumpkin! winddrop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

If all 4 go your progesterone should be good.
    Kari (37), DH (36)Hidden Content ; TTC#2 9/13
    DS 11/2011
    Meds: Met, Synthrod
    *Detailed past treatment history in profile

Thanks

I have never heard of that but it's interesting that you posted it, because just I was wondering a few days ago if that would work! I was wondering if with a chem pg/early mc if your body stops producing hcg causing the pregnancy to end, or if hcg stops being produced because the pg has already ended for another reason.
    BFP 10/18/10 on 1st round of injects - ended in chem pg
    BFP 11/21/10 on 2nd round of injects - perfect little boy! 5:27 p.m. on 8/10/11 @ 41w
    Surprise BFP on 1/12/12 - ended in chem pg or m/c

Thanks

Jen, from how it was explained to me, HCG is produced by the pregnancy but the pregnancy can fail due to any amount of causes (genetic defect, poor implantation, etc) causing the HCG to decrease because the pregnancy is failing. When the HCG drops so does the progesterone. The progesterone does not affect the HCG level, the HCG level affects the progesterone. If it's a healthy pregnancy to start with and has good HCG then the progesterone too will be good. If you have a true luteal phase defect as I do, then the progesterone may be low even with a healthy pregnancy, so the HCG shot will boost the progesterone to an acceptable level to continue to support the healthy pregnancy. My RE and his nurse both told me if a pregnancy is not healthy, as in already has something wrong with it be it chromosome, etc, then no amount of progesterone they give me will sustain a unhealthy pregnancy.

Make sense? It did to me when they told me even though my mind has been trained to think "I just need progesterone" which is a lie because I was on progesterone for two of my early m/c and it didn't help one bit.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks Misty, and yep, it makes total sense! I guess I am just looking for a way to rationalize my chem pg (and try to prevent another) when it is not a thing that can be rationalized!
    BFP 10/18/10 on 1st round of injects - ended in chem pg
    BFP 11/21/10 on 2nd round of injects - perfect little boy! 5:27 p.m. on 8/10/11 @ 41w
    Surprise BFP on 1/12/12 - ended in chem pg or m/c

Thanks

Jen, I had two chem pg before I had Lauren and one after. First chem pg my progesterone was low so we thought that was it. Second chem pg I was on progesterone support and still m/c. Third pg was Lauren and I was on progesterone support again, so we thought that was my problem and the last chem pg was a fluke Well the fourt pg ended in chem pg as well and I was on the same meds I was when we conceived Lauren. So no clue why! I have gone through the battery of tests including sonohystogram, chromosome, recurrent pg loss panel, etc and Hubs was tested too... nothing came up! It's so frustrating! The only thing we can think of it egg quality, which is what I was on injectables this time. I know its frustrating, but all you can do is try again with something new. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Just know you are not alone and can talk to many of us anytime you need to.

Hidden Content