Thanks

Default Low FSH level - anyone know what that means?

I just had my CD3 FSH level tested in preparation for IVF treatment (which won't actually happen until about Aug next year...finger crossed I get pg before then!). The FSH result was 2.8. My GP told me that the normal range is 3-10. I know I've been accepted for the IVF waiting list, so they can't be concerned about it. I just wondered if anyone else had received a 'below normal' FSH result - and if they had been given an explanation of what this might mean?

My GP is a bit useless. She said she didn't really know what it meant to be below normal. I have had my CD3 FSH tested before - about 2 years ago, I think - I can't remember what the exact result was, but it was in the normal range.

Any ideas?

Thanks

One thing I have heard from a Reproductive Endocrinologist is it can mean diminished ovarian reserve. Also my Dr told me at the beginning of the year your FSH number should be twice the amount of your LH number. But in people with PCOS they are usually reversed, meaning you have a high LH number but a low FSH number. So it really could just be a sign or a symptom of PCOS...I am sure more here can answer you better though!!
    Tami (30) Hidden Content DH (33)
    TTC #1 Since 04/04
    BFP 5/20/10, MMC 7/2/10 @ 9W6D Hidden Content
    BFP 4/30/2011 @ 11 DPO
    After 7 years of waiting, Landon born 1/4/12!
    Just one more please...TTC #2 with Femara

Hidden Content

Thanks

I too would like to know. I had a lot of testing done, and my FSH level was 2.1. My Dr. wrote on the results form that 'all was normal' however. I know a FSH level over 10 can mean diminished ovarian reserve, but I have never heard below 3 being so.

Thanks

I'm really not sure, but I heard elevated FSH is a problem as it means diminished ovarian reserve. I haven't heard anything about it being too low though.
    Me (35) & DH (34) married in '08 Hidden Content
    Started TTC #1 in 5/10
    BFP cycle - 5 mg Femara 2/2-6 (cd 4-8), Ovidrel, IUI, Endometrin (3DPO-12w).
    BFP 2/27 (11dpo), EDD 11/9/11! hCG=21 (12dpo), 47 (14), 833 (21), 1644 (23), 12,629 (33).
    Our sweet baby boy was born at 41w3d on 11/19/11!
    Hidden Content

TTC #2 since 2/13. Started Clomid 3/18/14 (CD 5).

Thanks

A slightly low FSH level is nothing to worry about at all. High FSH levels ( above 12) mean diminished ovarian reserve and really low levels of FSH (below 2) means you have a condition of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Low levels are also found in women who are on birth control and who are pregnant. Your level is only slightly low so its nothing to worry about at all. Really a lot of doctors would consider it within normal range.
    Danielle (31) DH (32)
    TTC #1
    Meds: Met ER 2000mg Daily, Prenatals, 400 mg daily progesterone after confirmed O
    Fourth Clomid cycle: BFP!! Hidden Content 1st Beta: 16 2nd Beta: 64 3rd Beta:708 4th Beta: 13,270

HE'S HERE!!! Paxton Robert was born on October 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM weighing 3 lb 11 oz and 15 3/4 inches long. He was born at 31W 3D gestation.

Thanks

Good to know. I guess I just flipped what the Dr said! Sounds like you don't need to worry about which is GOOD news!
    Tami (30) Hidden Content DH (33)
    TTC #1 Since 04/04
    BFP 5/20/10, MMC 7/2/10 @ 9W6D Hidden Content
    BFP 4/30/2011 @ 11 DPO
    After 7 years of waiting, Landon born 1/4/12!
    Just one more please...TTC #2 with Femara

Hidden Content

Thanks

It's a good thing don't worry! You need to worry when it's a high number! Good luck
    Hidden Content

Clomid 50mg-No O
    Clomid 100mg-No O
    Follistim + Ovidrel + TI cycles 1-3=BFN
    Started Met 500mg
    Follistim + Ovidrel #4= Triggered 4 follicles=BFP!!!!!!!

GO TEXAS LONGHORNS!!!!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I thought it probably wasn't a problem. I did google and came across "hypogonadotropic hypogonadism" but I didn't really understand what it was - doesn't look like I need to worry about it, though - phew! I also had come across someone saying that if you were being treated with oestrogen that this could affect your FSH levels - and I guess I had a little concern that maybe my oestrogen was out of whack. However, looks like all is well - so phew! Thanks again!