Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Extreme Fatigue/Exhaustion After Eating

Hi,

Do any of you suffer from extreme fatigue/exhaustion after eating? I get it really bad after eating lunch, i can barely keep my eyes open after lunch and am yawning my head off in the office.

Can anone give me any advice that may help? I only suffer really bad when i'm at work but am always generally tired no matter how much or how little sleep i get. I generally get 9 hours sleep every night but still extreme fatigue after eating. Now i think about it i dont have time to eat lunch when i am at home at the weekends and dont get the exhaustion then.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated
    xx
    Emma Hidden Content Nicholas
    1st BFP 03/11/09 @ 22DPO EDD 03/07/10 M/C @ 7w4d Sac measuring 3w.
    2nd BFP 07/07/11 @ 18DPO EDD 11/03/12 M/C 20/07/11 @ 6w3d Heterotopic Pregnancy Left Tube Removed 22/07/11
    3rd BFP 29/09/12 @ 20DPO EDD 04/06/13. 1st Cycle Clomid after HSG. 1st u/s 05/10/12 gestational sac and yolk sac, 2nd u/s 12/10/12 Baby & HB.
    James born via emergency c section 7th June 2013 at 10.49am. 40+3.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

What type of foods are you eating? Stuff with too much sugar will do that. Try eating complex carbs at every meal.

Thanks

I have/had this too... It was really really bad, I'd be falling asleep at my desk at work after I would eat, and always get in trouble... and then just feel like crying, because there was literally nothing I could do about it! I used to nap in my car on my 10 minute breaks (I could fall asleep that fast) and on my lunch breaks too.... That helped. I didn't get it on the weekends.

But, I'm not working right now... and I don't have it anymore. I wonder was mine stress related, or the fact that I had a horrible boring job? Anyway... I'm also on Met now, so it could be that too. Because I think maybe it could have to do with Insulin Resistance, if your body is pumping a ton of insulin after you eat like mine is, it can make you really really tired. Just my thoughts.

Take care,
    Lulu
    Me: 31 & DH: 36 (ttc 12/2012)

PCOS since: 09/06, Dx'd via labwork/ultrasound: 05/07- Slightly High Testosterone, Bad IR, Adrenal fatigue, Syndrome X, Anxiety & Depression

Things I'm doing now:
    Metformin 500mg, BCP, Blood pressure med, Anti-D
    Astaxanthin 8mg, Inositol & Choline 1500mg (for PCOS & Anxiety), Magnesium 400mg
    Exercising, Charting

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi Both, thanks for posting.

For lunch i usually have a sandwich, soup or a jacket potato. I dont eat many sweets, very few and far between. I prefer savoury foods.

I dont think it is strees related as i really enjoy my job and dont usually have any symptoms at the weekend but like i said i dont usually eat lunch as im too lazy to eat.

I have looked at the symptoms of insulance resistance on the following webstie- http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi...et/insulin.htm (In the pink box at bottom of page)
    and think i can link myself to symptoms No. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 9. I have never been tested for IR as far as i know and dont know how to ask to be tested. I dont want to ask my GP as a) i would feel silly and b) would feel even worst if the test came back negative but i can go on feeling the way i feel.
    Emma Hidden Content Nicholas
    1st BFP 03/11/09 @ 22DPO EDD 03/07/10 M/C @ 7w4d Sac measuring 3w.
    2nd BFP 07/07/11 @ 18DPO EDD 11/03/12 M/C 20/07/11 @ 6w3d Heterotopic Pregnancy Left Tube Removed 22/07/11
    3rd BFP 29/09/12 @ 20DPO EDD 04/06/13. 1st Cycle Clomid after HSG. 1st u/s 05/10/12 gestational sac and yolk sac, 2nd u/s 12/10/12 Baby & HB.
    James born via emergency c section 7th June 2013 at 10.49am. 40+3.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I feel this way too a lot after meals. From what I have read it seems to be related to a meal that is too high in "bad" carbs. In most cases the reason for PCOS can be traced to insulin resistance and our bodies crash after a high sugar meal (all starches convert to sugar). What has helped for me is more of a low GI meal, trade white bread and potatoes for whole wheat, brown rice/pastas and a low GI fruit like apples. And donít feel bad for asking for more tests from your doctor, thatís what they are there for! *hugs*
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Me (34) DH (37)
    DD (14)
    DS (8)
    metformin 1500 XR, Prenatal Vit w/ DHA
    1st Clomid cycle April 2011
    Hoping for BFP in 2011
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi Emma-
    New to the forum here, but I just had to post because I can relate to your problem. I know that PCOS affects us all differently, but for me, one of the most important things I have learned is that I am VERY sensitive to certain foods and especially sugars. Its been a long road to figure this out, but with the help of a new doctor I think I'm finally getting a handle on things. I've realized that I can't eat any type of food that my body will process as a sugar at , I will be crashing big time in about 30 minutes. Not only does my current list of no-no foods include what people typically term as "bad carbs" (white bread, pasta, etc.), but it also includes any food that contains sugar or that my body will process as sugar: any type of carb/starch (all grains, sugary veggies like potatoes or carrots), sugary fruit (like apples, pears, some berries are ok), absolutely no dairy, and of course processed sugars. Basically, if I eat only good fats, protiens, and lots and lots of veggies, I can mostly power through the day like a champ! This has made a HUGE difference in my life.

Another thing I thought it would be worth noting is that I am B-12 anemic (pernicious anemia). I haven't heard of a correlation between PCOS and pernicious anemia, but I have both so I'm sure others could too. Before I was diagnosed, I had days where I didn't think it would be possible to make the 15 minute drive home from work because i was so fatigued. When I got home, all I could do was lay on my bed, even cooking dinner was a chore. I was so exhausted that I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel and honestly didn't know how I was going to make it to the next day! Once I was diagnosed, I started getting B-12 injections and my life turned around! I'm sure this is an extreme case, but since I've been preaching the B-12 gospel to anyone who will listen, I've had many people tell me that just by taking a B-12 supplement, they have experienced a great increase in energy. Its probably worth a try!

Thanks

Hi Emma-
    New to the forum here, but I just had to post because I can relate to your problem. I know that PCOS affects us all differently, but for me, one of the most important things I have learned is that I am VERY sensitive to certain foods and especially sugars. Its been a long road to figure this out, but with the help of a new doctor I think I'm finally getting a handle on things. I've realized that I can't eat any type of food that my body will process as a sugar at , I will be crashing big time in about 30 minutes. Not only does my current list of no-no foods include what people typically term as "bad carbs" (white bread, pasta, etc.), but it also includes any food that contains sugar or that my body will process as sugar: any type of carb/starch (all grains, sugary veggies like potatoes or carrots), sugary fruit (like apples, pears, some berries are ok), absolutely no dairy, and of course processed sugars. Basically, if I eat only good fats, protiens, and lots and lots of veggies, I can mostly power through the day like a champ! This has made a HUGE difference in my life.

Another thing I thought it would be worth noting is that I am B-12 anemic (pernicious anemia). I haven't heard of a correlation between PCOS and pernicious anemia, but I have both so I'm sure others could too. Before I was diagnosed, I had days where I didn't think it would be possible to make the 15 minute drive home from work because i was so fatigued. When I got home, all I could do was lay on my bed, even cooking dinner was a chore. I was so exhausted that I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel and honestly didn't know how I was going to make it to the next day! Once I was diagnosed, I started getting B-12 injections and my life turned around! I'm sure this is an extreme case, but since I've been preaching the B-12 gospel to anyone who will listen, I've had many people tell me that just by taking a B-12 supplement, they have experienced a great increase in energy. Its probably worth a try!

Thanks

ive heard of that and it happens to me too its called spiking and its when your body feels you have eaten too much carbs. Even eating a sandwich does it to me. Do you feel like this at breakfast too? if you dont, try switching what you have for breakfast with your lunch and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Hi,
    I have this problem too and have had low blood sugar for years. My dietician told me I am not allowed to go longer than 3 hours without eating. Even then, what can happen is this: your sugar has already dropped and anything you eat can hit you really hard because you've suddenly shot up higher and your body is trying to adjust. For the most part I quit eating anything with bread in it at lunch and that helps somewhat, but it still happens sometimes. For the longest time I was eating an apple and some cheese slices for lunch because it was the only thing that worked. Then I might eat something else 2 hours later. It can be hard at work though if you get in trouble for eating. I do agree though, that if you are going to be eating any kind of potato it should be small and you will need a lot of meat and veggies to counteract it. I have a really hard time with potatoes so I barely ever eat them. I also found that adding good fats like olives and nuts can be helpful with any meal.
    symptoms:

low blood sugar
    excess hair
    high testosterone

After years of Met making me sick - I don't take it.
    I take the mini-pill.

I don't eat sugar or most flours.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi Emma,
    The way to tell if you have insulin resistance is a simple diabetes test, where you fast overnight and then they measure how much insulin is left in your bloodstream the next day. The more left over, the greater an insulin resistance you have. Everyone with PCOS is recommended to have one performed every year, especially if you're taking a bcp. If you don't have it tested and it's left untreated, it can develop into diabetes II over time, hence why insulin resistance is often referred to as prediabetes.
    Like everyone's commented, it's because of your body's inability to process complex sugars. That's why most doctors recommend women with PCOS stick to a low-GI diet. Researchers believe this is the overall cause of PCOS; excess insulin fosters the production of androgens, which leads to masculinizing characteristics of the condition (like acne, hirsutism) as well as the anovulation and resulting infertility. IR also leads to weight gain, because your body can't fully process carbs, which makes the symptoms worse.
    If you really don't want to get a diabetes test, your doctor can usually tell whether there's a significant problem just from looking at the blood glucose levels of a recent blood test, since glucose tolerance and insulin resistance are strongly correlated.
    Hope this helps x

Thanks

Another way they test for IR is a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test). It is harmless but time consuming test. You have to fast, they take a blood sample and test where your glucose and insulin levels are at. Then you drink this really sweet orange soda type drink. Once you are done drinking it, then the clock starts. They take blood samples at certain intervals and again test your glucose and insulin level. When I had this done years ago, my sugar levels came back to normal (on high side) in the given time period but my insulin levels were extremely high.

Thanks

they only figured out I had a problem because I forgot to fast a few times. It wasn't that my sugar was high (though I have caught it being somewhat high a few times). They tested my blood sugar an hour after eating once and it was low and another time I forgot to fast for an insulin test and had just eaten a big carby meal and it was sky-high. I think they're not catching half the people who have these problems because they keep asking us to fast for the tests. They also gave me a blood sugar tester so then you can test at home and see what the numbers are before or after you eat - how you respond to different things.
    symptoms:

low blood sugar
    excess hair
    high testosterone

After years of Met making me sick - I don't take it.
    I take the mini-pill.

I don't eat sugar or most flours.

Thanks

I get like that alot, I find that I tend to skip meals during work hours so I know I have more energy than if I ate.... sucks.

Thanks

Emma

I was just thinking about this the other day. I havent had this in forever. I use to have it all the time and often wouldnt eat if I had something to do or some where to because I knew it would make me sleepy.
    When I went on metfomin and started changing my eating habits this stopped. I didnt even realize it till the other day that hadnt had this problem in forever. I eat a lot more protien and vegetables now. Even if Im eating out I my fave places are wendys and subway cause I know the calories in most the stuff I order. Im a calorie counter. I have lost 65 pounds so far but I usually choose a good source of protien and veggies over carbs or at least make the carbs the smallest portion of the meal. Like from wendys I usually get the large chili and a double stack. THis is around a 550 calorie meal and the only carbs are the crackers for chili plus with all that protien n the chili and burger. It keeps me full a long time with out wanting to fall into a coma.

Also since I stopped drinking soda I noticed this has helped a lot with those sugar crashes.

Everyone is different just have to play around till you find what works for you.
    Good luck
    Meds
    Metformin 2000
    Prozac
    Phentermine(diet pill)
    Weight loss......82
    Goal .............68 more to go!
    "The way I see it if you want the rainbow you got to put up with the rain!" Dolly Parton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
    Hi,

Do any of you suffer from extreme fatigue/exhaustion after eating? I get it really bad after eating lunch, i can barely keep my eyes open after lunch and am yawning my head off in the office.

Can anone give me any advice that may help? I only suffer really bad when i'm at work but am always generally tired no matter how much or how little sleep i get. I generally get 9 hours sleep every night but still extreme fatigue after eating. Now i think about it i dont have time to eat lunch when i am at home at the weekends and dont get the exhaustion then.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated
    xx

not a dr but i do have diabetes and pcos, do you check your blood sugars, has the dr sent you for a GTT glocose tolerance test, Hemaglobin A1C, sounds like you could be insulin resistant, maybe check your thyroid sluggish thyroid can make you tired any tell me what you come up with
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    24, femLE, NY, his name JOE 1-23-2009
    i need help
    humilin r 500, tramadol, walbutrin, visteral, prilocet, promethazine,

Dx PCOS, double Diabetes1 & 2, Neuropathy, depression, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis,