Thanks

Default Spotting and Cramping BEFORE O on Femara? TMI alert

Hi ladies!

First off, can I just say how thankful I am that this site is back up and running?! I felt so lost without it!

So on to my question - slight TMI alert!

This is our first cycle officially TTC and so our first medicated cycle as well. I took 5mg Femara CD3-7 and am now on CD 11. The past couple of days, I've had eggwhitish (I'm not really sure since I've never had it before in my life) brownish CM and lot's of cramping in my lower pelvis, mainly at night, which is weird. I'm hoping that all of this means the meds are working but I read somewhere it could mean cysts are forming

Anyone else have this experience with Femara or other meds?

Thanks!!

Thanks

Hi Kristin. I'm on my first Femara cycle as well, CD 16 now. I haven't had any spotting or cramping. To be honest, I have never had EWCM either and so far, not with this. I am having regular u/s tracking and my follicles are forming (slowly) but no O yet. Hoping to get trigger tomorrow. To be honest, if it wasn't for the u/s I would have no idea anything is going on. Hopefully for you, it is a sign the meds are working. For me there are none but everyone is different. Good luck!

Such stuff as dreams... Katie_Lucey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,271 Posts

Kristin- essentially cysts are forming BUT by that I mean this. You are in the follicular phase of your cycle- meaning that femara you took is trying to grow lots of follicles in your ovaries. Those follicles will hopefully produce a nice healthy egg. At the time you O (and when I started Oing again after BCPs I had terrible cramps, bloating, pain, etc) Whichever of those follicles have nice ripe eggs will release those eggs. Those follicles then turn into Corpus Luteum cysts. The corpus luteum (one for each ripe egg) produces progesterone to help with implantation. If you get pregnant and implant an egg they will hang out for about 12 weeks until the placenta takes over and the baby starts producing progesterone. If you do not get pg. this time around and you do not implant an egg those cysts will be reabsorbed by your body. Once they go away your progesterone will drop suddenly and you will start your period. This is why your temp will rise during your luteal phase (post O phase) because of the increase in progesterone and then why your temps go down in the follicular phase (before O) becuase of the lack of progesterone. Now about the cysts- so if those follicles do not contain an egg they will produce a cyst. Now like the Corpus Luteum they should be reabsorbed by your body. With PCOS and fertility meds sometimes they are not reabsorbed and hence present during the next cycle cd3 baseline ultrasound- causing problems. That's one way cysts form. They can also form if the Corpus Luteum does not reabsorb like it's supposed to and creates a lingering cyst.

Also every month in a "normal" cycle (non medicated) a woman will start to grow multiple follicles on both sides. At some point one will become dominant and grow to be mature while the rest are reabsorbed. If for any reason any of those do not reabsorb like they should they can also cause cysts. With fertility meds the ovaries are more stimulated and more follicles can grow then a normal unmedicatd month.

So basically at this point in the cycle the pain you are feeling is your ovaries growing lots and lots of follicles. Hopefully if all goes well one if not more will become mature and release an Egg so you can Ovulate and the rest will happily be reabsorbed by your body and leave you with no lingering cysts. So right before Ovulation the pain of those ripe follicles can feel very much like cyst pain- but for now it is nothing to worry about.

Best of luck in your journey!

Also Ovulation spotting is VERY common so nothing to worry about there!
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    M/C: 02/01*10/10*03/12*04/12
    August 2011- Connor was born
    February 2013- Jackson was born
    We are overwhelmingly blessed!
    Hidden Content

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katie_Lucey For This Useful Post:

JennyPennyLynn (05-17-2014),KristinL (02-25-2011),Rosecitygirl (12-17-2012)

Thanks

Katie - thank you so much for the detailed reply! I thought I knew a lot of what you said from reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" but I had forgotten a lot of that - you're right, they ARE forming cysts. Let's just hope one releases a cute little eggie Thanks again, I love reading posts you reply to, you're so informed! Congrats on your pregnancy too btw!!

Jackey - we are almost in the exact same boat in the exact same stage in our cycle!! I have my CD14 ultrasound in two days on Saturday! I might ask for the trigger if I can but I think my RE wants to see if I can O on my own first. Why did you decide to go with the trigger?

Let's be cycle buddies, we can cheer each other on and keep each other updated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KristinL View Post
    Thanks again, I love reading posts you reply to, you're so informed! Congrats on your pregnancy too btw!!

Haha- thanks! I think its just a matter of too much time spent on these boards!
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hey Kristen, let's do that! I'm on CD18 now. We have been seeing the RE for 6 months now so she recommended going the trigger and IUI route to really get things moving along. Problem is, for the last two cylcles, I haven'd had sufficient lining to do the trigger.

My appintment yesterday was disappointing. No change at all in my follies or lining. They think this cycle might be a wash. They told me to go home and keep DTD because there is still a chance I will O on my own but they didn't think it was a good cycle to trigger. I have to go back when I get AF to look at options for new meds. I am getting so frustrated. I know others have been doing this much longer and shouldn't get too worried yet but I can't help it.

I hope your appointment went better. How long have you been TTC? Is this your first medicated cycle?
    Diagnosed: 2008 PCOS
    BFP: March 14, 2012
    EDD: November 21, 2012
    History: 3 rounds 5 mg Famera, 75 mg Gonal-f + trigger & IUI, four rounds of Clomid 5 mg, one round Femera 5 mg
    Latests Meds: 5 mg Famera, 50 units Puregon + trigger + IUI
    Miscarriage: October 28, 2011 (13 weeks)

Hidden Content

Thanks

Oh! One other thing, this morning I had a crazy sharp pain on my right side. It actually made me buckle over. Could it be the big O? DH and I immediately DTD - LOL!
    History: 3 rounds 5 mg Famera, 75 mg Gonal-f + trigger & IUI, four rounds of Clomid 5 mg, one round Femera 5 mg

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JackeyJ View Post
    Oh! One other thing, this morning I had a crazy sharp pain on my right side. It actually made me buckle over. Could it be the big O? DH and I immediately DTD - LOL!

Yep! Ever since I started Oing again after BCPs I could feel it happen almost every time! Good luck!!
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks Katie! It was really intense. Fingers crossed.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Jackey - your pain sounds promising! How exciting! How many follies did you have?

I ended up getting the trigger yesterday morning, without even asking - apparently it's standard with my RE for Femara. Anyway, last night and today my ovaries literally feel HUGE and I'm pretty sure I'll be ovulating late tonight or early tomorrow....and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to feel it too. She told us to BD last night, tonight and tomorrow night. So we should be good to go!

The only issue is that I have an extremely thin lining as well - it was only at 6mm yesterday during the ultrasound, which she said is the very minimum of what she wants it to be. I took a baby aspirin yesterday and today and am drinking lot's of red wine to try and help. What was your lining at? Different doctors have different standards but I know most want it to be over 6, usually between 8-10mm.

Anyway, my fingers are crossed for you as well - it's so funny that we're on the same meds on almost the exact same cycle Baby dust to us! hehe

Thanks

Kristin - I had three follies total, one on my right and two on the left the largest got to 15mm and then seemed to stop. My lining was around 4mm. Since things didn't progress between visits, they figured it was not a good cycle to trigger but encouraged us to DTD and try it on our own. We'll see!

How about you? How did your follies do? My RE says that even though they would like lining at least 8 mm, that is not as big an issue as getting the follies ready so good luck!

Hidden Content

Thanks

3 follies and two at 15mm sound good to me! Good luck, DTD on your own is so much more fun anyway

I actually just called my RE's office because I've been having lot's of cramping and bloating and heaviness in my lower abdomen since Saturday. This morning I told her I could barely stand and she said that's because I had a 25mm follie and an 18mm, and both probably were rupturing. The pain is slowly subsiding so my fingers are crossed! DH and I BD twice last night (I did NOT want to the second time but we're on vacation...so I said okay lol) and then will tonight.

Keep me posted on how everything goes! Are you temping or using OPK's to confirm O?

Thanks

I have never been on femara...but this past cycle I had spotting with ovulation...It was the day before ovulation and from what I have read it is pretty common to spot with ovulation. Mine was just a tinge of pink.

Thanks

Kristen, do you know if you o'd yet? I had a progesterone blood test today will know tomorrow if I did or not. I have elevated LH levels so OPK's don't really work for me and I have not been temping. To be honest, the temping kind of intimidates me. A lot of information to digest! LOL!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the advice JumpFrog - I believe it was O spotting too

Hey Jackey! Yes, I definitely did, but I had the trigger shot so it's like 99% accurate or something. I believe, according to my temps, I O'd on Monday so I go for a P4 on Saturday. Let me know how your test turns out - isn't it everything over 0 a positive O?

Temping is intimidating at first but I actually LOVE it. I hate waking up at 7 AM every single day BUT I always know what my body is doing, in terms of O, progesterone/estrogen levels, etc. I also temp vaginally because when I temped orally before, my temps were pretty unstable (but I also didn't O for three months after going off BCP.) I would recommend trying it, if you need to, next month - it's really helpful! I also read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and that was an amazing book that totally convinced me to temp

Good luck tomorrow, KUP!