Registered User cysticinfoseeker's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Seriously, try Inositol it has cleared my Acne

I have only been on Inositol (just the regular kind that you can find in your herbal pharmacy) for a a week now and it has totally cleared up my face and also gave me AF.

The first day of AF i had a break-out (still much more moderate than anything I usually suffer) but that cleared up after 2 days. It has also helped me with food cravings and I believe I have already lost a little weight.

I have not noticed any side-effects. Inositol is a type of b6 vitamin. I take 2000mg spread out over the day.

This is really the best thing I tried so far.

Thanks

Thanks for this. May I ask what kind of acne you suffer from, how old you are, how long you've suffered from acne etc? I've suffered from acne my whole life although different kinds at different ages, now I'm in my mid-30's and still get the occasional cysts, and have a generally dull complexion, and only get acne on my face.
    • Me SAHM 36, DH 41, Beautiful DS born 2012
    • Conceived on 2nd round of Clomid + trigger after 3 years TTC naturally
    • Suspending my 1700mg of MET till after Gallbladder removal, on medical advice.
    • Lost all my baby weight 7 months PP - 66kgs/145lbs.
    • THEN put on a load - now the heaviest I've been in years - 76kgs/167 lbs.

Thanks

I'm 28 years old, I generally don't get the cystic type of Acne. I get the sort of 'regular' kind, nevertheless I have for the past five years had pretty bad outbreaks (maybe 10-15 or more) on my face, and also on the top part of my back. At times when I have been on birth control (such as Yasmine) the acne has generally gone away, only to return as soon as I stop the birth control. I've previously tried all sorts of things but nothing seemed to really help, having the result that I felt very self-conscious, ugly, and depressed.

My blood tests show that I have slightly elevated testosterone levels which perhaps explains the acne, and also my very irregular periods (sometimes more than 6 months pass between the cycles).

Although, I started taking Inositol rather recently, I did see a dramatic and fast reduction of my acne. After about 3 days my face was basically completely clear, and after 5 days I got AF. On day 6 I noticed a return of the acne, although less and more moderate than before, so somehow it seems that the acne returned for the duration of my AF. Now that I stopped bleeding my face is almost totally clear again.

Otherwise, I'm of normal weight (132 pounds and 5.3 tall) do not take any other supplements apart from prenatal vitamins, eat a normal but healthy, balanced diet (although I eat very little meat, a lot of fish and make a point of keeping it to a fairly low GI index), and try to walk for at least an hour every day.

Thanks

thanks fr the info

Thanks

Thanks so much Cysticinfoseeker. I'm going to give this Inositol a try once I can track some down. It sounds like we have different types of acne, but hey, it's worth a shot! I too had very controlled acne when I was taking the BCP Diane, and once I've been off it - yuck! I've just started some more microdermabrasion again (having had it in the past and it worked quite nicely) to clear up some scarring etc and it's already having great results. I have my 2nd treatment in 10 days and I hope to have up to 6 treatments altogether before summer hits.

I had some persistent chin acne that wouldn't budge, and already after my first microdermabrasion - it's cleared up majorly. Thank goodness.

I'm going to try what you mentioned, thanks for the post.

p.s. which brand do you use?
    Last edited by zigzag; 02-07-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added
    • Suspending my 1700mg of MET till after Gallbladder removal, on medical advice.

Thanks

Smile Inositol

I'm so thankful I stumbled onto this website! I too would like to know what bran you use and where you purchased it. Thanks for the info!

Thanks

Zigzag, interesting to hear about your positive experience with microdermabrasion, I was just thinking about it for acne scars and reduction of visible pores.

As for the brand of Inositol that I'm taking, I'm not sure where you are both based, but I got the Inositol (650mg) from a local UK health-food chain called Holland & Barrett, and the Inositol I bought is just their own brand.

I have heard that some refer to the same product by the name of myo-inositol, which I believe is the same thing with a slightly different name. There is also something called D-Chiro-Inositol which I believe has a related function in the body, a lot of people claim it is somehow faster acting and 'better', but its also very expensive. I never tried the D-Chiro-Inositol, as it seemed so very expensive, and also because I saw fast results, and had a good experience using the 'regular' Inositol.

Also, I read about the benefits of regular Inositol used in a medical trial concerning women with PCOS. The trial was conducted by a group of Italian doctors ('Randomized, double blind placebo-controlled trial: effects of Myo-inositol on ovarian function and metabolic factors in women with PCOS' S. GERLI1, E. PAPALEO2, A. FERRARI2, G.C. DI RENZO1, published in 'European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences' 2007; 11: 347-354, this site will not let me post the link to the page...)
    • Weight: 132 lb (gained 13 lb since PCOS problems started)
    • Height: 5.3
    • Married since: Aug 2010
    • TTC since: Nov 2010
    • Diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago, when I started very irregular AF & acne breakouts, used to have clear skin & regular 35 day cycle.
    • Current meds: Metformin since 28 April 2011, Pregnacare Conception vitamins since Nov 2010

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cysticinfoseeker For This Useful Post:

zigzag (02-09-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cysticinfoseeker View Post
    Zigzag, interesting to hear about your positive experience with microdermabrasion, I was just thinking about it for acne scars and reduction of visible pores.
    Hi there, thanks for the additional information, I'm going to check it out over the weekend...it sounds familiar so hopefully can find it. I wonder if there are any interactions with Metformin?

About the microdermabrasion, just a note that try to use someone that you've heard good things about if possible. I moved and had to find a new place for treatment. Unfortunately, the first new person I tried basically just blew crystals all over my face and didn't seem to do much at all. It's like their machine was broken or they just didn't know what they were doing. I had crystals blowing all up my nose, in my ears (which NEVER happened before!). Funnily enough, they were the most expensive and least effective, total waste of time and money.

Also, note that some Dermatologists also do microdermabrastion for the same price as a beauty therapist - so could be worth looking into as well, I mean, they are Dr's after all.

My new beauty therapist is the distributor for some kind of "diamond" microdermabrasion machine, so I thought, if she is selling the machine, she must know how to use it, and she does! Although she's not a doctor, she sells to various Dermatologists and also liaises with them to refer on clients who may want additional services that she can't provide (chemical peels etc).

Can't wait to go back for my next treatment and to reduce some of this scarring.

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks

Hi. Did the Inositol make your stomach upset at all? I had my daughter try the DCI over the summer and she would have this urgency to have to use the restroom out of the blue. We stopped the DCI and eventually that went away. With her being in high school, she can't really take something that's going to pull her out of class. Plus, she refuses to use the restrooms in school because she said they're "gross". lol Thanks so much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Cyster View Post
    Hi. Did the Inositol make your stomach upset at all? I had my daughter try the DCI over the summer and she would have this urgency to have to use the restroom out of the blue. We stopped the DCI and eventually that went away. With her being in high school, she can't really take something that's going to pull her out of class. Plus, she refuses to use the restrooms in school because she said they're "gross". lol Thanks so much.
    Inositol has not affected my stomach in any way. I have heard some reports online about stomach upset being a possible side effect of DCI though. I agree with your daughter and can totally see how that would be a cumbersome side-effect!
    • Weight: 132 lb (gained 13 lb since PCOS problems started)
    • Height: 5.3
    • Married since: Aug 2010
    • TTC since: Nov 2010
    • Diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago, when I started very irregular AF & acne breakouts, used to have clear skin & regular 35 day cycle.
    • Current meds: Metformin since 28 April 2011, Pregnacare Conception vitamins since Nov 2010

Thanks

Has anyone actually gotten breakouts after taking inositol?

I have PCOS. I am currently about 20lbs. overweight, and have suffered with cystic acne, MP baldness, and unwanted hair growth for a long time. I was put on 2000mg of Metformin a year ago - the met has managed to take away my acne and I've been able to lose 40lbs. to where I am now (with just another 20 lbs. to go!).

I started taking 1000mg/daily of inositol a couple weeks ago. I was hoping it would help with the hair issues. Since then, I've suffered with daily headaches as well as a cystic acne breakout along the jaw line and cheek. I haven't noticed any improvement with the hair loss or unwanted hair growth. I do realize that it will take a while to really see any improvement, but I'm wondering now, that since I started it I've been having problems, should I stop with it? Prior to this I didn't have to worry about such breakouts at all.

I see so many positives about inositol, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had adverse side effects from it. Wondering if it's worth it for me to keep taking - if I should stop it, or give it more time... Any ideas?
    30-something, self-employed bookbinder, happily married. Not TTC. Not on BCP.
    [ My health & fitness blog: Hidden Content
    ]

Thanks

Hi! I am a newbie here, just registered and would really like to post a new thread, but since I can't yet, I am posting here, because I have some serious doubts about the effects of B vitamins. You say that vit. B6 in the form of inositol has cleared up your acne. This sounds terrific and I do hope B6 is that good. I have also been taking B complex supplements for the past 14 months - combinations of B1, B6 and B12. B6 is in the form of pyridoxine, this is the one available where I live. Since I started the B vitamins, I noticed an improvement in my cycles (this is the only thing I am taking, no hormones or any other medications) - the overall length shortened considerably, my ovulation occurs earlier (I have been temperature charting) and my luteal phase has increased. But two months after I started taking the B complex supplement I had a terrible acne outbreak and the acne has remained with me for the past year. And it has been getting worse Before April last year I had only had an occasional pimple now and then, nothing to be concerned about, but now the situation is out of control. I have started to suspect the B vitamins, mostly the large doses of B6 and B12 in the supplements.

I do have PCOS. I have reduced my overall carb intake over the past year and a half and lost weight, although I am still slightly overweight. But acne had not really been a problem before.

Have any of you guys had similar experiences with vitamin B6 - or B12 for that matter, since b vitamins are often taken as a B complex supplement?

By the way, I just checked - it seems inositol is vit. B8, not B6.