Thanks

Question Vitex Dosage Confusion

I have recently started taking Vitex under the brand name Women Sense PMS support. It is 80mg capsules. I bought it because they had it at my local natural food store. Reading online and talking to other PCOS cysters I have heard that the dosage that most women with PCOS take is 400 mg. So far I have been taking 2 capsules a day- one in the morning and one in the evening. The bottle says that up to 3 capsules can be taken per day- for a max of 240 mg.
    So, I'm confused. Should I be taking 400 mg or follow the directions on the bottle?
    Do you have any brand recommendations for my next bottle?
    ~ Michelle ~

Mommy to Jonas (July 2010) Milo (April 2012) and ready for number 3.

CD1 6/5/13 Clomid cycle 1 100mg CD 4-8

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I would follow directions on the bottle. This is what I read on another site (they are good with siting studies and the dosage used).
    Here is a link to the website but here is an excerpt from that page: http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/vitex.html

"Every women is unique, so the amount and form of vitex you need won't be the same as for someone else.

We recommend you seek guidance from a licensed naturopathic physician, who would have extensive knowledge of herbs and botanical medicines. As a general guideline, your daily dose could be:
    • 60 drops of vitex tincture, standardized to contain 0.6% agusides.
    • 175 mg. or more of standardized vitex extract, standardized to contain 0.6% agusides.
    Chasteberry can be taken daily for up to 18 continuous months, unless pregnancy occurs. Vitex can be taken once or twice a day. It may take 1-3 months before any results become evident. "
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

Thanks

I would also follow the directions on the bottle. I've recently picked up a bottle of Nature's Way Vitex (since I keep hearing it's a miracle herb) I take 1 400mg capsule 3 times a day (total 1200mg daily) Keep in mind that does take time for it to work.
    Me: Anna, age 26 Hidden Content DH: Franco, age 32
    Diagnosed PCOS in May 2009
    Ectopic Pregnancy January 2010
    TTC the natural way! 2011
    Taking Daily: Glumetza 2000mg, Vitex, Royal Jelly, Maca Root Extract, Folic Acid, Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin B-100 Complex, Omega 3 6 9, Organic Raspberry Leaf tea
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna1984 View Post
    I would also follow the directions on the bottle. I've recently picked up a bottle of Nature's Way Vitex (since I keep hearing it's a miracle herb) I take 1 400mg capsule 3 times a day (total 1200mg daily) Keep in mind that does take time for it to work.
    I think I have that exact brand on order coming from GNC. I can't wait to get this all started!
    Me-31 Dh-34 DD-9 DS-4

DX: PCOS & MF (varicocele)

Destiny was born August 14, 2002 after 2 cycles of injectables with IUI's.

Preston was born June 13, 2007 after 5 cycles of injectables with 4 IUI's, 2 fresh IVF's with one loss and a FET that was finally successful.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I am not sure if the vitex has been helping me or not. I can't tell since I am taking so many other things.
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

Thanks

You must always follow the dosage instructions on the bottle you purchase because they're made especially for that product. Vitex dosage varies, however the most common dosage is 500mg a day. If you take too little it will do nothing, and if you take too much it will cause the opposite affect you're looking for (it will worsen your cycles).

That's why I always took Fertility Blend. That way I never had to worry about getting the right dosage. I tried regular Vitex before, 500mg a day for 8 months - it did nothing. Went back on Fertility Blend and my cycle became regular 2 months later.
    Pamela
    For help in controlling PCOS naturally visit:
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fellow_cyster For This Useful Post:

sirrefarual (03-28-2012)

Waiting for a miracle sirrefarual's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fellow_cyster View Post
    You must always follow the dosage instructions on the bottle you purchase because they're made especially for that product. Vitex dosage varies, however the most common dosage is 500mg a day. If you take too little it will do nothing, and if you take too much it will cause the opposite affect you're looking for (it will worsen your cycles).

That's why I always took Fertility Blend. That way I never had to worry about getting the right dosage. I tried regular Vitex before, 500mg a day for 8 months - it did nothing. Went back on Fertility Blend and my cycle became regular 2 months later.
    fellow_cyster - what brand was the fertility blend you took? i am taking one from daily wellness and i have been confused on the dosage and wondering if i will be getting enough vitex from it

Hidden Content Joel and Laura Hidden Content
    Married 10/21/2012

Furbaby: Blaze

Thanks

Sorry for the double post.

Ok, after 3 days of trying to find the answer everywhere I finally compared labels.

I also found this:

If you don't consult with a qualified health professional, a general guideline for your daily dose could be:

60 drops of vitex tincture, standardized to contain 0.6% agusides.
    175 mg. or more of standardized vitex extract, standardized to contain 0.6% agusides.
    from here:
    http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/vitex.html#sec4

It seems to be that the higher mg (400-500) contain the chasteberry fruit.
    Often with a 0.5% agusides

The lower mg, contains the extract and 0.6% agusides
    Some have this plus an added 100mg of the fruit as well.

So my guess is that the 80mg is actually a good option.

I wanted to post this in case someone in the future struggles with this as much as I have in trying to figure it out. If anyone has a better explanation would love to hear it.
    Last edited by Ju; 07-10-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    What you seek is seeking you - Rumi