Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question How to Use VITEX ?

Hey I need some help with something, I see a lot of people trying Vitex to regulate their period and maybe help their fertility problems. But I still have some concerns.

Questions -

1 - What brand is the best to use ?

2 - How does the dosage do ? Some people are using than need and are getting good results. Should I try the same thing or with the right brand the recommended dosage will be just fine ?

3 - At what point should I use it ? Should I start using it after my period starts ? Can I take it at any point in the month ? Do I take it for the entire 30 days every month forever ?
    Hey Everyone ... I think I always Had PCOS, but I wasn't told about until just a few months ago. So what I decided to do was start a blog called pcosdiaries.com about my story. Including the funny moments , the sad and the learning process. And the best part is ... This is my story , only I decide how it ends. Hidden Content

Thanks

Bumping this because I'd like to know how to take it too
    Amanda, 31 DH, Kev 32 Hidden Content
    Meds and Supplements - Pro natal vitamins with folic acid, omperazole, naproxen, hydroxychloroquine, omega 3, agnus castus & cinnamon.
    Hidden Content

BFP 21/04/11, MC 28/04/11
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator Pnksunflrws4ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

1. I took NSI brand http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitex-Agnus-Castus

2. I took the recommended dosage on the bottle. 800mg/2x/day. Generally you want to go by the bottles recommendation b/c certain formulas are more concentrated than others. It is recommended although for you to start on the lower end of the dosage scale and work your way up.

3. You take vitex everyday besides when you have AF. You can start it at any point in your cycle, but they generally suggest you only take it for 18 months maximum (anyone correct me if I am wrong). This is a slow acting herb so it can take 3 months or longer to see results.

Extra: You cannot take vitex while taking Clomid/Soy. They work against eachother. I've read multiple things on what to do if you become pregnant while on Vitex. Some sites say to stop it immediatly and others say to wean yourself off. That is something to talk with your doctor about if this happens and to get progesterone support.

~~~

I had to stop taking vitex b/c it was killing my milk supply, but it seemed to be working well for me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pnksunflrws4ever For This Useful Post:

squirly1522 (02-17-2011)

Thanks

I've been using Vitex for the past 2 weeks and so far it's really helping! I got AF 6 days after I started using it. Usually my period would last 8-10 days but after taking Vitex I only had AF for 5 days. I use the Nature's Way brand 400mg. I take 1 capsule 3 times daily = 1200mg daily (on the bottle it says to take it 3 times/day for 12 weeks then take 1 capsule daily for up to 18 months) I was told to take it continuously (even when AF shows up) but to discontinue taking as soon as you get a BFP.
    Me: Anna, age 26 Hidden Content DH: Franco, age 32
    Diagnosed PCOS in May 2009
    Ectopic Pregnancy January 2010
    TTC the natural way! 2011
    Taking Daily: Glumetza 2000mg, Vitex, Royal Jelly, Maca Root Extract, Folic Acid, Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin B-100 Complex, Omega 3 6 9, Organic Raspberry Leaf tea
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna1984 View Post
    I've been using Vitex for the past 2 weeks and so far it's really helping! I got AF 6 days after I started using it. Usually my period would last 8-10 days but after taking Vitex I only had AF for 5 days. I use the Nature's Way brand 400mg. I take 1 capsule 3 times daily = 1200mg daily (on the bottle it says to take it 3 times/day for 12 weeks then take 1 capsule daily for up to 18 months) I was told to take it continuously (even when AF shows up) but to discontinue taking as soon as you get a BFP.
    This is what I read as well to take it during all phases of your cycle.
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pnksunflrws4ever View Post
    1. I took NSI brand http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitex-Agnus-Castus

2. I took the recommended dosage on the bottle. 800mg/2x/day. Generally you want to go by the bottles recommendation b/c certain formulas are more concentrated than others. It is recommended although for you to start on the lower end of the dosage scale and work your way up.

3. You take vitex everyday besides when you have AF. You can start it at any point in your cycle, but they generally suggest you only take it for 18 months maximum (anyone correct me if I am wrong). This is a slow acting herb so it can take 3 months or longer to see results.

Extra: You cannot take vitex while taking Clomid/Soy. They work against eachother. I've read multiple things on what to do if you become pregnant while on Vitex. Some sites say to stop it immediatly and others say to wean yourself off. That is something to talk with your doctor about if this happens and to get progesterone support.

~~~

I had to stop taking vitex b/c it was killing my milk supply, but it seemed to be working well for me.

Ok thanks a lot for the information. WHat does AF stand for ? Im going to check out the website. An dI might use the brand nature way. I don't know why but it seen like it might be good. And I know to make sure it's stabilized (i think thats the word) too right ? But how come ?
    Hey Everyone ... I think I always Had PCOS, but I wasn't told about until just a few months ago. So what I decided to do was start a blog called pcosdiaries.com about my story. Including the funny moments , the sad and the learning process. And the best part is ... This is my story , only I decide how it ends. Hidden Content

Thanks

Standardized. You want a minimum of the vitex in each pill. If its not then you really don't know how much you are getting. AF = aunt flow or your period.
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmschapp View Post
    Standardized. You want a minimum of the vitex in each pill. If its not then you really don't know how much you are getting. AF = aunt flow or your period.
    Oh I see what your saying, so its better to just use as directed and don't try to double the dosage. And thanks for telling me what AF means. I see people write it, but I didn't want to ask. -smile

Thanks

I started taking Agnus Castus since Friday and I've started to get sore bbs. I normally get sore bbs with AF but I'm only on CD 8 so shouldn't be getting PMS symptoms yet.

Is this the agnus castus working already?
    Amanda, 31 DH, Kev 32 Hidden Content
    Meds and Supplements - Pro natal vitamins with folic acid, omperazole, naproxen, hydroxychloroquine, omega 3, agnus castus & cinnamon.
    Hidden Content

BFP 21/04/11, MC 28/04/11
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ickle pand View Post
    I started taking Agnus Castus since Friday and I've started to get sore bbs. I normally get sore bbs with AF but I'm only on CD 8 so shouldn't be getting PMS symptoms yet.

I haven't heard of agnus castus does tht work like Metformin or Vitex ?

Early Years Teacher :) VickieAsh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squirly1522 View Post
    I haven't heard of agnus castus does tht work like Metformin or Vitex ?
    Agnus Castus is Vitex (Or at least to the best of my knowledge there's no difference aside from name)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitex_agnus-castus

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VickieAsh For This Useful Post:

ickle pand (02-21-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VickieAsh View Post
    Agnus Castus is Vitex (Or at least to the best of my knowledge there's no difference aside from name)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitex_agnus-castus
    LOL oh ok, I'm so use to Vitex i thought agnus castus was a different medication - smile

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ok so since u can't take Vitex and Clomid together because they cancel each other out. Is it possible to get PG on Vitex alone ?

Thanks

it's best to take vitex for 3-6 months without TTC - within 3-6 months you should start to notice some increased regularity in your cycles. Then when you stop it you're clear to TTC. The risk with taking vitex and actively TTC while taking it is that if you don't time it right it can interfere with your hormones and should you become pregnant it can cause a miscarriage. In the old days it was used to induce miscarriage in women as it's use is to restore women's hormones to the 'normal' non-pregnant state. most naturopaths recommend that you avoid TTC while taking it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ickle pand View Post

I had the same thing happen to me. Just after 2 days of taking vitex 3 times a day, my boobs were extremely sore! 5 days later I got my period. I read a lot of different posts and this seems to be common among women taking vitex.
    Me: Anna, age 26 Hidden Content DH: Franco, age 32
    Diagnosed PCOS in May 2009
    Ectopic Pregnancy January 2010
    TTC the natural way! 2011
    Taking Daily: Glumetza 2000mg, Vitex, Royal Jelly, Maca Root Extract, Folic Acid, Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin B-100 Complex, Omega 3 6 9, Organic Raspberry Leaf tea
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content