Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Proactiv for acne... does it work with PCOS?

Hi All,

Proactiv (e) has tonnes of commercials playing these days so I googled to find out if their skin care (acne) products work with "hormonal acne" and the answers don't seem to be very helpful. Has anyone had any success with Proactive on their PCOS-related (hormonal) acne?

Would love to hear success and failure stories.

thanks!
    Hidden Content
    July 2011: 200mg clomid on cd 5-9 + 1600 mg Metformin - OVULATION + Pregnancy (now ending in miscarriage)
    May 2011: 10 days of Prometrium, 150mg of clomid on cd 5-9 + 1600mg Metformin = no "O"
    Jan.17th: 3rd RE appointment -- Waiting on DH's tests then starting 150mg clomid
    Nov.23rd: 2nd RE appointment - Met is regulating hormones; keep on it.
    Sept.14th: first RE appointment - started Metformin

Super Moderator Pnksunflrws4ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I used Protactive and have since moved on. It did clear up my face, but it was one of those products for me that I could only use for 6 months max and then have to move onto something else b/c is stopped working. Also it would scrub my face raw and make it very sensitive/red/blotchy. I do still use the oil free moisturizer and sulfur mask (GREAT for sudden breakouts). For me Neutrogena face wash and Clean n Clear toner and Rx Cleocin-T (for bad acne) has done the trick for me.

Thanks

I've been using Proactive for about five years now and it keeps my acne in check. I recommend you give it a try and see how it works for you! With my fertility treatments and high doses of medications, I have had short periods of break-outs but a dab of the Proactive Advanced Blemish Treatment usually zaps them within a day or two. I could be on a commercial. . . but I'm not Jessica Simpson
    Me 35 + DH 35 Hidden Content DS Sept '07 & DS May '13
    Dx Jan/10 + MF . Four Inject + IUI = BFNs
    Nov/10 IVF+ICSI #1 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jan/11 IVF+ICSI #2 ET 2 blasts = BFP & two h/bs! -8wk m/c twin angels
    Jul/11 FET #1: 2 blasts = BFP & h/b! -SCH -9wk m/c angel boy
    Dec/11 FET #2: 2 blasts = BFN
    Mar/12 IVF+ICSI+PGD #3 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jun/12 FET #3: 2 blasts = BFN (2 snow)

Aug '12 natural surprise = DS born May 2, 2013

Registered User omglookitsagoat's Avatar
    Thanks

No. Proactive doesn't work at all. In addition to not improving my acne, my skin also had a bad reaction to it. After years and years of acne treatment (over 10 years of acne since puberty) I have concluded that there is NO SUCH THING AS A TOPICAL TREATMENT FOR ACNE - PERIOD! Any dermatologist who tells you otherwise is lying and wasting your time. The ONLY thing that will improve my acne symptoms are pills that artificially lower my testosterone levels like BCP and spirinolactone. Anti-inflamatory or anti-bacterial pills might help too, but I prefer to treat the cause more directly.

Thanks

I heard about a new one by Laroche Posay...I want to try that one.
    ____

"Somewhere weakness is our strength..."

Thanks

Yes, yes yes. The only thing that worked for me!
    (Jess) 27Hidden Content (Chris) 30

Hidden Content Our 4 Munchkins:
    Joshua- 6yrs, Dominick- 3yrs, Luciana- 2yrs & Addison- born 10/24/13 7lb-11oz and 20in

Hidden Content

Thanks

It's depends on what type of acne you have. If you have "regular" acne made up mostly of comedones, whiteheads, and blackheads, then Proactiv has a good chance of working for you. However, if you have a cystic acne (like so many of us cysters do), a topical solution isn't going to have ANY effect, because the infection and inflammation are actually below the skin and can't be reached by topicals. The only true solution for cystic acne is hormonal treatment.
    Kiely-31, DH Gerry-33
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    Metformin-1,000mg/day (started 7/5/10)
    Starting weight--209.8 (4/10/10)
    Current weight--190.0 (10/7/10)
    BFP (x3 tests) on 10/4
    10/12--Confirmed! 8 1/2 weeks along. Saw u/s and heard heartbeat. Due 5/18/10!Hidden Content
    10/20--Family history completed. Still happy and healthy! Hidden Content
    5/30/11--Welcome, Preston Huckleberry, aka Huck!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I don't know, i had cystic acne all over my neck. BAD welts and blisters. I started Proactiv and Yaz at the same time, and thanked Yaz for clearing it up. But then i stopped birthcontrol and kept up with the Proactive and am still 99% acne free close to 8 months later.
    (Jess) 27Hidden Content (Chris) 30

Hidden Content Our 4 Munchkins:
    Joshua- 6yrs, Dominick- 3yrs, Luciana- 2yrs & Addison- born 10/24/13 7lb-11oz and 20in

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smeets88 For This Useful Post:

rachelsono (06-20-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had acne since i was in the forth grade (not cool). Proactiv was the only thing that worked for me. (now i sound like a commercial). Its one of those products that makes your face get worse before it gets better, so you might be discouraged to using it because you will see a slight increase of acne on your face (or wherever you use it) at first. The reason it gets worse before it gets better, is because it pushes that bacteria out and cleans it. Also, beware....when using this product, you have to keep at it...once your all cleaned up, if you skip even one day of using it...you will see a field of pimples. Im all cleared up now, all thats left is the scars

Good luck!
    Married my sweetheart 10/12/13 Hidden Content
    DX PCOS in 2007
    CP May 2010
    Dec 2013 - 1st rnd - 50mg Clomid Cd 5-9-Fail
    Jan 2014 - 2nd rnd - 100mg Clomid Cd 5-9 - BFP! 2/13/14
    2000 mg Metformin XR, Progesterone Sup, Crinone Gel 8%
    1st BETA - 33 - 2/13/14
    2nd BETA - 1160 - 2/21/14

Hidden Content

Registered User omglookitsagoat's Avatar
    Thanks

proactive sort of worked. it was the only topical that got rid of my acne, but I couldn't use it because I was allergic to it. Lots of people have bad reactions to benzyl peroxide (active ingredient). I hear they do have one version with salicylic acids too now, though, but I doubt it would do any more than any other salicylic acid treatment. If I put LOTS of moisturizer on, then it wouldn't puff up so much, but I would still get acne. weird. anyway, I can't use it. I haven't found any solution for acne besides pills. I think they work 1000 times better than any topical I've ever tried in my life.

Thanks

Thanks for the info folks. I didn't really know there were different kinds of blemishes for cysters vs. "regular" acne.

The reviews of Proactiv are pretty mixed. I'll give it some more thought.

Thanks again

Thanks

lyshy, if you want to try it but don't want to invest a bunch of money in it, try www.makeupalley.com. It's a website where you can trade products you don't like for ones you want. Strictly speaking, selling products is against the rules, but members do it all the time in a discreet manner. I paid $8 for the Proactiv starter kit instead of the retail price, and it was all in original packaging and everything.
    Kiely-31, DH Gerry-33
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    Metformin-1,000mg/day (started 7/5/10)
    Starting weight--209.8 (4/10/10)
    Current weight--190.0 (10/7/10)
    BFP (x3 tests) on 10/4
    10/12--Confirmed! 8 1/2 weeks along. Saw u/s and heard heartbeat. Due 5/18/10!Hidden Content
    10/20--Family history completed. Still happy and healthy! Hidden Content
    5/30/11--Welcome, Preston Huckleberry, aka Huck!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Stick Little Bean, Stick! leslie728's Avatar
    Thanks

I've noticed that I break out really bad along the underneath of my jaw only when I take Provera or Clomid. And it's the type of acne that HURTS. I've tried everything besides proactive. I wondered if it would work in my situation. Hhhmmm...
    Me-29 DH-30
    DD#1 1-11-12
    DD#2 12-12-12
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

For me my acne is hormonal so topical remidies do not work

I have tried so many topical remidies out there all through my teenage and adult years my mother used to tell me it was because my skin was dirty! What? I washed my face at least twice a day. As I got older my acne got worse instead of better. At 35 my acne was far worse than it had ever been during puberty. Then I was diagnosed with PCOS (I always had regular cycles so was never diagnosed until the dr. did blood work to find out why I hadn't gotten pregnant) I was put on metformin and my acne was gone within two weeks! About a month after I started it a woman acutually told me I had a beautiful complexion and she wished she could get away without wearing make-up! (I only wear mascara and eyeliner no base, blush or foundation) I almost started crying. I wish I would have known about pcos years ago because I would have saved so much money on topical trewatments and dermatologists.
    Kellie 37 Ray 41
    TTC 3 years DX 8/2009 @ 35 yrs old
    BFP 2/15/2010
    MC 3/11/2010 7w5d Hidden Content
    BFP 9/27/10
    Girl Due 6/5/11
    Hidden Content
    Blessed are those that mourn, for they shall be comforted Matthew 5:4
    Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Wife For This Useful Post:

zigzag (08-10-2012)

Thanks

My acne was so bad and painful that i was on accutane but after I did that my dermo told me due to my PCOS I have cystic ance which no topical treatment can touch..And I dont want to do accutane again... YUCK ! I have been told it wont cure its self without lowering my testosterone levels and this is why they put me on spiro.. i cleared up with spiro but didnt want to be on BCP's so i got off the spiro and my acne came back.. spearmint tea is the only thing besides spiro that makes my cystic ance go away... GL
    Me: 33 DH: 29
    DS: July 2002
    DD: October 2010
    DD2: August 2012