Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: milk and pcos

Thanks

Default milk and pcos

I was reading an article about how milk and milk products effect women with pcos. Has anyone cut these products out and had better results with weight? I haven't been on in here in a loooong time but I really need to be on here more for support!

Thanks,
    Heather
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content - cerclage placed at 12 weeks

Hidden Content Kailana Jael born 10-4-09 at 37 weeks = cerclage placed at 12 weeks

Thanks

Hi Heather,

I'm under the impression that milk isn't really meant to be digested by adults, especially women with PCOS typically have difficulity with diary products. I don't drink milk and rarely have yogurt and cheese...it works for me! I would try it and see what happens! Best of luck!

Thanks

I eat a bowl of cereal everyday and don't have a problem with the milk, but I do use lactose free milk. I think it has made all the difference.

I haven't given up cheese. I don't eat a lot of it, but I love cheese. I don't think I could live totally without cheese. lol
    Deni- 37. DX Aug 2, 2001. Obsessed Pearl Jam fan.
    TTC #1 for 8mos with "known donor". I'm going to be a SMBC!
    BFP!!! 6-19-11. MC. 7-3-11 at 5w4d. Hidden Content
    Meds: Metformin 1500mgs, Soy Iso CD5-9, Cinnamon, Super B Complex, Vits C and D, Mag and Zink, Royal Jelly, CoQ10, Folic Acid, Baby Aspirin--RRL and EPO 1st half of cycle. NPC 2nd half of cycle.

Look at my chart ifen you wanna.
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think they're referring to ingesting the hormones in some dairy products. If you go with organics I think there isn't an issue. I think this goes further than just diary it effects meat as well.
    PCOS dx 10/19/2009
    2000mg Metformin, 1000 IU daily Vitamin D, 1st month off of BCP's after struggling for 15 years.
    Not TCC

Hidden Content

Follow my PCOS journey on my daily blog: Hidden Content

Thanks

I've started drinking milk again because I need the extra protein (I'm vegetarian), but I will only drink organic milk. Like Cyber Cyster, I had read that it was the hormones in regular milk that can cause problems.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have yogurt and fruit for breaky every morning and have lost over 30kg at this point Not a lactose free, but one high in natural cultures. I actually found that having cereal, toast etc made the weight problems worse as apposed to dairy.
    Amy (23) Hidden Content DH Gordon (28)

Diagnosed: 2009 Pcos & 2010 diabetic
    Cocktail: Metformin 500mgx3, fish oil tablets, celery & juniper tablets, low GI diet & exercise
    , Prenatal vits
    Clomid in June 2011

Hoping for a 2012 miracle!

Thanks

I've actually had more success with weight loss since increasing my dairy intake. When I'm not pregnant, I follow a strict low GI diet, and I get a good deal of my protein from dairy products. I only consume full-fat varieties, because dairy has become my main source of fat, and also contributes a lot of my calories. I also stick to the hormone-free brands. I know that the FDA says that it doesn't make a difference, but I don't think it's natural and nothing good can come of it when I already have imbalanced hormones...
    Kiely-31, DH Gerry-33
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    Metformin-1,000mg/day (started 7/5/10)
    Starting weight--209.8 (4/10/10)
    Current weight--190.0 (10/7/10)
    BFP (x3 tests) on 10/4
    10/12--Confirmed! 8 1/2 weeks along. Saw u/s and heard heartbeat. Due 5/18/10!Hidden Content
    10/20--Family history completed. Still happy and healthy! Hidden Content
    5/30/11--Welcome, Preston Huckleberry, aka Huck!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I rarely drink milk, never drink yogurt, but I can't give up my cheese!!!

Thanks

I drink organic whole milk only with my porridge for brekky and in cups of tea.I've found i use less whole milk than i do semi-skimmed (half fat).
    It's not made any difference to my PCOS symptoms.
    *~*~*BELIEVE*~*~*

Hidden Content
    Me 41 & Hubby 42
    Managing PCOS the natural way!
    Healthy Food & Lots of Walking.
    Start to do something to make a positive change in your life!

Thanks

I've lost 58 pounds. Of course it took me like 2 years, but whatever. lol And I didn't stop eating cereal or dairy. But I am a firm believer in the notion that what works for one wont always work for everybody.
    Deni- 37. DX Aug 2, 2001. Obsessed Pearl Jam fan.
    TTC #1 for 8mos with "known donor". I'm going to be a SMBC!
    BFP!!! 6-19-11. MC. 7-3-11 at 5w4d. Hidden Content
    Meds: Metformin 1500mgs, Soy Iso CD5-9, Cinnamon, Super B Complex, Vits C and D, Mag and Zink, Royal Jelly, CoQ10, Folic Acid, Baby Aspirin--RRL and EPO 1st half of cycle. NPC 2nd half of cycle.

Look at my chart ifen you wanna.
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

But I am a firm believer in the notion that what works for one wont always work for everybody.
    Definitely agree with you there!! I had a friend (No PCOS) try my diet and put ON weight, while I was steadily loosing it. Crazy.
    Amy (23) Hidden Content DH Gordon (28)

Diagnosed: 2009 Pcos & 2010 diabetic
    Cocktail: Metformin 500mgx3, fish oil tablets, celery & juniper tablets, low GI diet & exercise
    , Prenatal vits
    Clomid in June 2011

Hoping for a 2012 miracle!

Thanks

I have been wondering the same about milk myself... I have never really been a fan of it -- even before I knew about PCOS I found that it aggravated my tendency towards acid reflux. Also, I hate the taste of anything but skim! While I enjoy milk and yogurt, I have cut these out as well because of the following experience: After being diagnosed with PCOS, I used diet and exercise to keep my weight within a certain range (still 30-40 lbs overweight but better than what it was steadily climbing to before diagnosis) and thought since DH and I were soon ready to start trying to conceive that I should consult a naturopath. She knew very little about PCOS, and that should have been my first warning sign. (Others followed that aren't worth mention in this context.) When she recommended that I increase my dairy intake, since that seemed to be the only lacking area of my diet, I agreed despite my reservations. What a mistake!!! Suddenly, my menstrual cycles went from regular and patterned (for over 2 years!) to erratic and once every oh --- 56-68 days. I was devastated!!! The only change I made was adding milk to my regime.... how could it screw everything up so badly????? I decided to ignore her advice after 6 months of upset and as soon as I caught an ovulation after cutting out milk we tried, and succeeded!

Now, I have no proof that it was the milk that threw everything off, except my own certainty. But milk is out now. And I'm not tempted to give it another chance. I have simply increased my dark leafy green veggie intake and maintained my calcium supplements since. Reading about the organic varieties having less hormones makes me curious but.... the anti-milk articles I have found online also suggested that skim was safer and contained less estrogen than higher fat percentages. Since I had my unpleasant effects on skim I am dubious.

I agree that everyone's body is different, and what effects one may not upset another's, but since milk and I have never really agreed in the first place.... I think I know where to stand in my case!

Thanks

Skim milk is really bad for hormones.

Drinking skim milk and other low-fat dairy products increases a woman's risk of being infertile, research from the Harvard School of Public Health suggests. Less-healthy foods that have a high fat content, meanwhile, actually tend to increase fertility.

What you need to know - Conventional View
    The study showed eating two or more low-fat dairy products a day as part of a woman's diet increases her chance of infertility by 85 percent.

This type of infertility is due to a lack of ovulation, called anovulatory infertility.

The eight-year research study involved 18,555 women between 24 and 42 in age with no history of infertility. By the end of the dietary study, 438 had become infertile.

Information on the link is scarce and the study's lead researcher, Dr. Jorge Chavarro, believes that while the connection between infertility and low-fat dairy products is relevant, more research is needed.

"Once they have become pregnant, then they should probably switch back to low fat dairy foods as it is easier to limit intake of saturated fat by consuming [these]," Chavarro said in the study.

The research was published February 28th in the European health journal Human Reproduction.

What you need to know - Alternative View

Statements and opinions by Mike Adams, author of Grocery Warning: How to identify and avoid dangerous food ingredients

All processed dairy products carry health risks. While raw, organic milk offers genuine nutrition, processed dairy products (homogenized and pasteurized) have been linked to heart disease, diabetes, hardening of the arteries, obesity and digestive disorders.

For smart consumers, the choice is not between skim milk vs. whole milk, but rather dairy products vs. dairy-free products.
    Conceived 1st round of Clomid 10/08
    Miscarriage 12/08

Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and HSG Dec 2009
    Now on Clomid, trigger, and progesterone suppositories. Injectables up next.

My infertility blog: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to theOceanicSix For This Useful Post:

CurlyKay (04-07-2011)

Registered User Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Thanks

There's a lot I could say about milk, but I'll keep it simple.

me + milk = persistent, cystic acne
    me - milk = clear skin, clear enough for people to comment on

If it's doing that to my skin, what else is it doing to my body?
    Hidden Content ... Again! Starting 6/27

Hidden Content ... training, CrossFit and paleo!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Somewhat Damaged For This Useful Post:

AussieBex (07-13-2011),Nursesheri (10-01-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    There's a lot I could say about milk, but I'll keep it simple.

me + milk = persistent, cystic acne
    me - milk = clear skin, clear enough for people to comment on

If it's doing that to my skin, what else is it doing to my body?
    I forgot to mention that in my previous post, but I have had the same experience!

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one out there who actually reacts to dairy. People are very disapproving of my no milk policy and I have to defend it often. Why isn't this more common knowledge?