Thanks

Default What was your E2 level on Femara? PLEASE help ladies!!!

[SIZE=1Hello! I am rather new to this site, but I was hoping to get some help with this issue! We are trying for #2. I took Femara for the first time this past cycle and to my (delightful) surprise, it worked great. I got a 23mm follicle, had a great lining, and I even O'd on my own! I NEVER ovulate on my own - I am not sure if I ever have before as I have only had a few natural periods in my life (I must take Provera to induce one). I was ECSTATIC that this worked so well for me because Clomid did not work AT ALL - I am definitley a Clomid-resistant cyster! I thought I had to spend thousands of dollars on injectables to get my body to develop mature follicles and ovulate (how we concieved #1), but here I ovulated on a medicine that I took for a few days in the beginning of my cycle and only cost me $10 - that is just amazing to me!!!

Anyway, so here's the problem! I was originally scheduled to do a trigger shot and have an IUI this past cycle, but the day of my u/s, I also had bloodwork done - when I was called later by the nurse, she told me my Dr. was cancelling my IUI this cycle because my Estradiol was a bit low at 110 (as oppossed to the normal 200 per mature follicle). Needless to say I was devastated, and I immediately got online and starting researching E2 levels on Femara and I quickly came to find out that it is completly NORMAL and EXPECTED for E2 to be low on Femara as that is how Femara works - by lowering ones estrogen level. At this point, I was completely infuriated! Through all of my research, I have read over and over that E2 will be signifigantly lower on Femara; that follicles are mature on Femara even though E2 is low; that as long as the follicles are growing, that there is never a reason to cancel a Femara cycle due to low E2; etc...... I have even read that many doctors do not even check their patients E2 levels when they are on a Femara cycle because they already know they are going to be low!!! Now, I realize you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but EVERYTHING I have read states the same thing, and many of the things I read (repeatedly) came from doctors mouths, so it is obviously true!

So, why does every doctor seem to know this but mine??? When I went in the following week for my ovary check after my cancelled IUI, my doctor told me that I have one more dose to try (7.5mg as I took 5mg the first time), and if that does not increase my E2 level, then I can no longer take Femara!!! Are you kidding me??? It seems like every doctor but mine KNOWS that E2 will be low on Femara. I understand that they are the doctor, but that does not mean they know everything - us cysters are very informed patients . MY RE's office does NOT use Femara very often - I had to ask for it as they did not offer it to me. My doctor even said one time in a conversation, "with our limited use of Femara "! They are going to make me stop taking a medicine that works wonderfully for me simply because they do not know enough about it to know that the follicles are still mature on a Femara cycle even though E2 is lower. They will not listen to me when I tell them what I've researched - I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. How is this fair??? I was able to take a cheap $10 medication and ovulate as oppossed to spending thousands of dollars to O on an injecatble cycle and their going to make me stop taking it if my E2 is not at the normal "non-femara cycle" level on this increased dose. AHHHHHHH!!!!!

I literally just sent in the last check to pay off our over $6,000 balance from the two injectable/IUI cycles we tried last Spring/Summer that were not successful. It feels to me that they don't want Femara to work for me so that I will have to do more injectable cycles giving them a TON more money!!!

I am so sorry for this extremely long rant, but I just had to get this out and I was hoping that any other cysters who have taken Femara might be able to answer some questions. Such as.......

1. What was your E2 level on Femara and how many follicles did you have?
    2. Did you concieve with a lower E2 level on Femara?
    3. Does your Dr. even check you E2 level on Femara or do they just assume it will be low?
    4. If they do check, do they use it as a basis for cancelling a cycle if it is low?
    5. Did increasing your dose, correlate to an increase your E2 level (I would think increasing the dose of a medicine that works by lowering estrogen, would just lower it even more???)

Any other comments and experiences are welcome as well! One last quick note regarding my frustration with my RE - I asked if I could just go straight to a combo Femara/low-dose injectable cycle as it gives you the benefit of a few low-dose injections without the TREMENDOUS cost of a full injectable cycle (since there's no more monitoring than in a Femara alone cycle) and they would not let me do it!!! I must first do this 7.5mg dose, but she said even if that does not work, she will not "commit" to the combo cycle. How can they say no? It's extremely successful, it's cost effective, it's MY body, MY treatment, and MY MONEY!!! I need a new doctor, but there are no other RE's in my town!!!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I'm hoping to use your replies when speaking with my doctor next time (not that it will probably

[/SIZE]
    Last edited by jmklunk; 03-14-2011 at 10:25 PM.
    Jessica (31)/DH (38)
    PCOS, Underactive Thyroid

DS born 1/16/08: Follisitm/Trigger/IUI - Conceived 1st try........Hidden Content Hidden Content

DD born 3/04/12 5mg Femara 3-7, Follisitm 75iux4, 50iux4 - IUI......... Hidden Content Hidden Content

Registered User previouslybutterfly3861's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

i did 9 cycles of femara so I will be glad to help. I did all the doses ranging from 2.5-10mg. I ovulated on them all. I also did 2 combo cycles of femara and menopur the first was femara 5mg and 75IU menopur for 3 days the 2nd was 7.5mg femara and 75IU menopur for 5 days (we were trying to get more follicles on that one)
    What was your E2 level on Femara and how many follicles did you have? The highest E2 I ever had was 200 and that was with 4 follicles they say that with femara it's usually 30-50 per mature follice (that's what my RE said)
    2. Did you concieve with a lower E2 level on Femara? Yes the cycle that I got pregnant (both times) my E2 was not over 150

3. Does your Dr. even check you E2 level on Femara or do they just assume it will be low? They checked mine to make sure that there are eggs inside the follicles...if there are no eggs then E2 will not rise...so I had mine checked every 2 days along with LH levels to see if I was going to surge on my own or needed to trigger
    4. If they do check, do they use it as a basis for cancelling a cycle if it is low? My RE would have cancelled if the E2 did not rise but it always did, which is more what they were looking for rather than #'s
    5. Did increasing your dose, correlate to an increase your E2 level (I would think increasing the dose of a medicine that works by lowering estrogen, would just lower it even more???) Yes but only because my # of follicles increased...the more eggs the more estrogen they produce.

Regarding the combo cycle that's what got me pregnant the first time although I miscarried. I self dosed 10mg the next cycle and got pregnant again. My RE would not go to 10mg but somehow I knew that it was going to be best for me. I would have weaker ovulations on the lower doses of femara and was just saving money to do another combo cycle...I had a very strong Ov the cycle that I got pregnant, which resulted in my son. I had to drive an hour and half to get to an RE that would really work for me. Is that an option for you? I think femara is wonderful and I'll use it again when TTC #2

Me (Robin) -29, DH-41
    MC 3/10 @ 6 weeks
    DS- Elias Antonio Hidden Content born 1/2/11 @ 32w3d due to pre-e (conceived with 10mg femara + IUI (13th cycle of femara)
    Baby #2 conceived cycle #4- 7.5 mg femara +1000mg Royal Jelly, O CD 16, TI= BFP 7/22/12Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to previouslybutterfly3861 For This Useful Post:

jmklunk (03-14-2011),Miller1975 (03-21-2011)

Thanks

PreviouslyButterfly......thank you so much for your response - I really appreciate it!!! You are so lucky to have an RE who knows that E2 will be low on Femara. What a huge difference of your RE saying it will be 30-50 per mature follicle and my RE saying it must still be at 200! Mine being 110 with 1 mature follie on Femara was probably a great cycle that my RE wasted! I am so frustrated that I could cry!!! I really feel like I could get pregnant on this medicine, but I don't feel like my RE is going to LET me get pregnant on it!

I, too, was thinking it would be great to try a 10mg cycle, but my RE will not give me that dose either. I would do it on my own, I just have no way to get the medication! It's so frustrating that their going to make me stop taking this when they just don't know enough to know that it's actually working really well for me!

I am going to start researching new RE's farther away if I can't get through to them even after this cycle. I go for my follie u/s and bloodwork this Friday so hopefully I will have more than just one follicle this time so that my E2 will hopefully be up to their "acceptable" level!

Congratulations on your beautiful little boy! My little man is a January baby too - except he's three now so he tells me, "Mommy, I'm not a baby anymore, I'm a kid"! :-)

Thank you again......you were alot of help and I really appreciate your response!!!
    Last edited by jmklunk; 03-14-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Jessica (31)/DH (38)

DS born 1/16/08: Follisitm/Trigger/IUI - Conceived 1st try........Hidden Content Hidden Content

DD born 3/04/12 5mg Femara 3-7, Follisitm 75iux4, 50iux4 - IUI......... Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No problem at all. I hope that it works out for you somehow because I do really like femara. The way that I took 10mg was that I had a refill and just filled it 2x at the same time. I got pregnant before on the 5mg and miscarried due to low progesterone. The RE that I was seeing didn't believe in supplementation only getting a stronger ovulation to produce a better corpus leuteal cyst to make more progesterone...so I decided myself...lol. The lowest E2 that I had with femara was 63 ( I looked at my chart) that was with 1 follicle at 23mm...so I am sure that you probably had a great follie. ARe you doing IUI? is that why the cycle was "cancelled"? We did IUI too for the most part because DH has low motility.
    Me (Robin) -29, DH-41
    MC 3/10 @ 6 weeks
    DS- Elias Antonio Hidden Content born 1/2/11 @ 32w3d due to pre-e (conceived with 10mg femara + IUI (13th cycle of femara)
    Baby #2 conceived cycle #4- 7.5 mg femara +1000mg Royal Jelly, O CD 16, TI= BFP 7/22/12Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

PreviouslyButterfly.......thank you for all of your helpful information! Yes, we were suppossed to do an IUI, but to be honest I have been thinking that I might want us to just do TI even if they feel my E2 is "acceptable" to them this cycle. We did of course BD last month too, but it was my first month taking Femara and I had no idea if I was going to ovulate or not on my own - I assummed I would probably need the trigger, but they didn't give it to me once they cancelled the cycle. In addition, my temps were not going up and I never did get a positive kit so I finally just gave up hope that I was going to O. Then the following week, my temps did go up and the day that they went back down, AF showed. This was the first time, I ever had anything close to a "normal" ovulatory chart. Anyway, so I'm not even sure that we TI with my ovulation or not. My RE still says that I O'd the day after my cancelled cycle - so I can't say for sure when I did. Maybe he is right and it just took my temp a few days to rise??? I never ovulate so it was totally new to me

Thanks for looking in your chart too! Do you have access to it online or how are you able to see it? It would be so nice to just be able to pull all of my information up! Do you mind me asking your Dr's name? When I go into to discuss this whole situation with my RE again (if I do not concieve this cycle) I just want to be able to say, "Dr. "So and So" told his patients E2 will be 30-50 per mature follicle on a Femara cycle" (along with all of the other information I have printed out to "try" and discuss with them). They already don't put a lot of faith into what I have to say and the information I learn from the internet - I will feel better if I can at least go in there with as much information as possible.

Thank you again and enjoy that beautiful baby boy of yours!!!
    Jessica (31)/DH (38)

Thanks

I'm so sorry this is happening to you!

On my successful cycle, my day 12 estrogen was 55. (I'm still trying to find my baseline - thought I wrote it down somewhere - but maybe they did not give it to me.) On day 15 it was 130. On day 16 I triggered but don't know what my estrogen was that day. On day 18 we had IUI and then 10 days later I got a BFP!
    Me (35) & DH (35) married in '08 Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Baby #1 - second medicated cycle - Femara - BFP 11dpo (2/27/11)! EDD 11/9/11. DS born 11/19/11. Hidden Content
    Baby #2 - fifth medicated cycle - Femara + Gonal-F. BFP 11dpo (10/11/14)! EDD 6/23/15. Biochemical pregnancy lost at 5w4d (10/25/14). Hidden Content

Thanks

I am on Femara- dose 12.5mg. That is the only dose that worked for me. I tried them all. On 12.5mg I get at least 2 if not 3 follies per cycle. My RE has not checked my E2 since my second cycle. I use ovidrel to trigger (never O on my own). We took a break for a few months (adopted our beautiful son!) but now Im back on. I go for an ultrasound tomorrow. I know I have 3 follicles right now with a possible 4th ( I am an ultrasound tech so I scan myself during my cycle just to see what's going on hahah!). My hubby has no fertility issues so we just have TI. No BFP yet. I hope your dr will be able to work with your wishes more or that you can find a RE who is more familiar with Femara.

jen

Thanks
    Blog Entries

jmklunk- My dr was Donald Kreger at Kaiser. Yes with Kaiser your medical record is online so you can look at test results and whatnot anytime.
    Me (Robin) -29, DH-41
    MC 3/10 @ 6 weeks