Thread: My beta numbers

Thanks

Default My beta numbers

I post this on the ttc board but I wanted everyones opinion. I just turned 38 and I have been trying (with the help of an RE) since October of 2009. I have tried femara, clomid, at least two mixed cycles, and have done four injectible cycles. I have lost count of the number of IUI's I've had. I have had two chemical pregnancies. My last IUI was on Feb. 23. I got a BFP on March 10th with a beta level of 568 and progesterone of 80. My second beta level (taken this AM) was 4300. I am doing daily injections of 1cc PIO. I also did three booster shots of hcg during my two week wait. I had ten or eleven eggs this cycle. I am having some cramping. What do you all think? I'm so afraid to get my hopes up. I value your opinions and comments. Thanks.

Registered User previouslybutterfly3861's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

sounds good! you're definitly preggo

Thanks

Wow, your beta numbers sound very high! Did you have ten or eleven mature follicles (over 18mm) at the IUI?! When is your u/s scheduled? With both my pregnancies, I had cramping in early pregnancy, so that's probably a good sign Good luck and keep us posted!

Here's a web article I found helpful when I was analyzing my beta numbers. 2007 web article; Reference: http://www.conceivingconcepts.com

What is HCG?
    HCG serves to maintain progesterone production by the corpus luteum in the early part of pregnancy. By the time HCG drops at the beginning of the second trimester, the placenta can make sufficient progesterone to maintain the endometrium. HCG also stimulates the development of fetal gonads and synthesis of androgens by the fetal testes. HCG has a similar to function to LH in stimulating secretion of estrogen and development of the placenta.

What Do the Numbers Mean?
    The problem is, once a pregnancy is confirmed, you need to know if it progressing along normally. Keeping track of HCG numbers is one way of measuring fetal viability. HCG is measured in milli-international units per millimeter (mIU/ml). HCG is first detectable in the blood as early as seven or eight days after ovulation by very sensitive HCG assays. Blood pregnancy tests will be positive (> 2 mIU/ml) by 10 or 11 days after HCG injection or LH surge, and levels vary with gestational age during pregnancy.

There is a large variation in a "normal" HCG level for any given time in pregnancy. Caution must be used in making too much of HCG "numbers." Ultrasound findings after five or six weeks of pregnancy are much more predictive of pregnancy outcome than are HCG levels. You won't expect to see a gestational sac or the fetus until the HCG level reaches at least 1,200 mIU/ml.

However, a single HCG level cannot indicate a normal pregnancy. In a normal pregnancy there is a regular increase of the HCG, so you need to see more than one value before you can better understand what's going on. Additionally, a single value cannot always tell you how far along the pregnancy is, because of the wide range of blood HCG levels in pregnancy. To illustrate the limitations of looking at a single measurement, here is a sample reference list for HCG levels in singleton pregnancies, based on days past ovulation (DPO):

* At 14 DPO, the average HCG level is 48 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-119 mIU/ml.
    * At 15 DPO, the average HCG level is 59 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-147 mIU/ml.
    * At 16 DPO, the average HCG level is 95 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 33-223 mIU/ml.
    * At 17 DPO, the average HCG level is 132 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-429 mIU/ml.
    * At 18 DPO, the average HCG level is 292 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 70-758 mIU/ml.
    * At 19 DPO, the average HCG level is 303 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 111-514 mIU/ml.
    * At 20 DPO, the average HCG level is 522 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 135-1690 mIU/ml.
    * At 21 DPO, the average HCG level is 1061 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 324-4130 mIU/ml.
    * At 22 DPO, the average HCG level is 1287 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 185-3279 mIU/ml.
    * At 23 DPO, the average HCG level is 2034 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 506-4660 mIU/ml.
    * At 24 DPO, the average HCG level is 2637 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 540-10,000 mIU/ml.

Accordingly, the key to interpreting the true value of HCG measurements is to look at their progression. In general, the HCG level will double every two to three days in early pregnancy. Approximately 85 percent of normal pregnancies will have the HCG level double every 72 hours. However, as you get further along in your pregnancy and the HCG levels get higher, the expected doubling time increases.

* For HCG levels <1200 mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is 48-72 hours.
    * For HCG levels 1200 to 6000 mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is 72-96 hours.
    * For HCG levels >6000 mIU/ml, the expected doubling time is >96 hours.

HCG levels peak at about eight to 10 weeks of pregnancy and then decline, remaining at lower levels for the rest of the pregnancy. Here is a sample listing of expected HCG levels based on time after conception:

* 0-1 week: 0-50 mIU/ml
    * 1-2 weeks: 40-300 mIU/ml
    * 3-4 weeks: 500-6,000 mIU/ml
    * 1-2 months: 5,000-200,000 mIU/ml
    * 2-3 months: 10,000-100,000 mIU/ml
    * 2nd trimester: 3,000-50,000 mIU/ml
    * 3rd trimester: 1,000-50,000 mIU/ml

Twins or Higher Pregnancies
    Twin pregnancies tend to show higher HCG levels on a given day of pregnancy. Twin HCG levels fall within the reported range of singletons, so, you can't assume anything based on the level alone. A higher level on a given day does increase your chances for twins, but there's no level above which you're guaranteed twins.
    Me 35 + DH 35 Hidden Content DS Sept '07 & DS May '13
    Dx Jan/10 + MF . Four Inject + IUI = BFNs
    Nov/10 IVF+ICSI #1 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jan/11 IVF+ICSI #2 ET 2 blasts = BFP & two h/bs! -8wk m/c twin angels
    Jul/11 FET #1: 2 blasts = BFP & h/b! -SCH -9wk m/c angel boy
    Dec/11 FET #2: 2 blasts = BFN
    Mar/12 IVF+ICSI+PGD #3 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jun/12 FET #3: 2 blasts = BFN (2 snow)

Aug '12 natural surprise = DS born May 2, 2013

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple Blossom For This Useful Post:

Cheri282 (04-12-2011),JennyPennyLynn (06-12-2014)

Thanks

Yes, I had at least ten. We were not sure if number 11 would catch up. These levels seem high to me also. I have also hear high hcg levels can mean Downs Syndrome. My first chemical pregnancy I had a beta level of 18. My second chemical pregnancy I had a beta of 58. These levels seem extremely high compared to the previous two.

Thanks

Wow! Did your Dr discuss with you the possibility of high order multiples?! That's a lot of eggs!!! When is your u/s scheduled?
    Me 35 + DH 35 Hidden Content DS Sept '07 & DS May '13
    Dx Jan/10 + MF . Four Inject + IUI = BFNs
    Nov/10 IVF+ICSI #1 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jan/11 IVF+ICSI #2 ET 2 blasts = BFP & two h/bs! -8wk m/c twin angels
    Jul/11 FET #1: 2 blasts = BFP & h/b! -SCH -9wk m/c angel boy
    Dec/11 FET #2: 2 blasts = BFN
    Mar/12 IVF+ICSI+PGD #3 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jun/12 FET #3: 2 blasts = BFN (2 snow)

Aug '12 natural surprise = DS born May 2, 2013

Thanks

With a high beta and knowing you had lots of follicles, it's a lot more likely you could have multiples than anything remotely related to any trisomy. I wouldn't read anything into it at all and then see how many at u/s. Are you having a scan at 6-8 weeks? I would ask for one to know the number. Congrats and all the best!
    me=38, DH=40 PCOS dx 1991
    pre-natals, baby aspirin, raspberry leaf tea cd10 until hCG
    1/09/09 clomid (50mg) cd2-6/hCG/iui - BFN; 2/09 clomid (50mg) cd2-6/estrogen cd7-10/no foll.
    3/09/09 femara (2.5mg) cd2-6/no foll.; 4-6/09 bcp; 5/09 HSG all clear
    7/09/09 femara (5mg) cd2-6/hCG/IUI/prometrium - BFP July 25th Hidden Content
    Sammy born March/2010 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I think your beta looks great and the numbers are doubling really well! According to the beta base calculator your doubling time is 40.75 hours which is good!

I am kind of surprised your doctor would let you trigger that many mature follicles! Granted, every follie doesn't necessarily contain an egg but I would guesstimate at least half did! Wow!

I can't wait to see what your U/S shows!

Thanks

Wow, that's a lot of eggs. Everyone says that hcg levels don't tell you about multiples, but I don't know if that's ALWAYS true. With those numbers, I am going to bet there are several little babies growing in there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anonykat2 View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of eggs. Everyone says that hcg levels don't tell you about multiples, but I don't know if that's ALWAYS true. With those numbers, I am going to bet there are several little babies growing in there.
    Yeah - beta base pretty much proves that levels are higher with more babies...not always, of course, but it does make sense.

If I calculated the OP's O day and DPO when her tests were done according to the beta base it looks like (going by median hcg levels) I would say triplets!

But, it could just as easily be a singleton. Only one way to find out!!!

Thanks

Thank you all for your well wishes and positive thoughts. My ultrasound with the RE is the 24th. I will go in on the 21st for another beta. I did fail to mention that I have stage III endo. On my previous injectible cycles I had wonderful responses. I guess she wanted to give me every chance. She did mention twin risk but nothing higher than that.

Thanks

Update: My beta this morning was 22,000. I was concerned that it was not doubling but the Dr. says at 20,000 it begins to level off. She did not mention checking again. Let's just hope all is well on the 24th for the ultrasound.

Thanks

I would agree that it is unlikely there is not more than one in there with those numbers (including the higher progesterone). I would venture to say even more possibly. Anything over 4 mature follicles increases your risk of multiples. Having 10 or 11 doesn't mean you'll have HOM with a BFP though. We routinely had 8-9 definitely mature and many others near at or above 14.

These were our twin betas 12dpo=30, 2nd beta 14dpo=100, p4=29 - Beta@18dpo=882! Beta@22dpo=5921! Beta@27dpo= 17,792