Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default IUI's - did you concieve a boy or a girl????

Hi Ladies!!! I hope asking this question does not make me sound like an awful person, but I was wondering, for those of you who have concieved with IUI's (specifically with no male factor issues), what gender baby did you conceive?

Please know that I would love a boy or girl exactly the same! I'm just wondering as we are trying for #2 (we have a son conceived though IUI who is the light of my life ) and I would just like to try for one of each! From what I've read and from what I know about timing for boy/girl conceptions, AND from those women I know personally who have had IUI's - it is quite apparent that IUI's tend to predominently (though not always) produce male offspring.

As I said before, I just want another child for my DH and I to love and to give my son a sibling so I will love a boy or a girl with all of my heart, BUT I would like to have a CHANCE at concieving a girl and I feel like if I have another IUI, it will most certainly be another boy. My RE seems to want me to have another IUI (of course, more money for them!), but I'm so debating IUI vs TI???

I know I would obviously have a higher chance of concieving with an IUI, but also a higher chance of concieving a boy. On the other hand, I worry that maybe I can not convieve with TI alone??? I do know my cervix is VERY FAR off to the right - can that interfere with concieving? Can the sperm find their way, way over there and make it up to the tubes??? Does anyone else have a cervix far off to one side and was able to concieve on their own?

Obviously, I could still concieve a boy with TI and I am TOTALLY okay with that - I just want the CHANCE at concieving a girl and I feel that would best be done through TI. I hope this is all coming out okay as I type and not making me sound like a bad person!

When it comes down to it, I just want another baby to love and to cherish, but would just like to try for a girl. Not to mention, my three year old son keeps telling me that he wants a sister......LOL!!!

So, for all of us IUI conception graduates out there......could you let me know if you conceived a boy or a girl so that I can decide for sure how we might want to proceed.

Thank you so much and baby dust to all!!!!!
    Jessica (31)/DH (38)
    PCOS, Underactive Thyroid

DS born 1/16/08: Follisitm/Trigger/IUI - Conceived 1st try........Hidden Content Hidden Content

DD born 3/04/12 5mg Femara 3-7, Follisitm 75iux4, 50iux4 - IUI......... Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hurry Up and Wait. Hooah ArmyWife1153's Avatar
    Thanks

You can do sperm gender selection with iui iirc. It's only a little bit more $ since they do sperm washing generally. It's got a pretty decent success rate.
    Me (28), DH (41), DSS (18), DSD (14), DD (6), DS (5)
    V 1999 ~~ VR 1/14/11
    2/21 PCOS dx, DH (Low motility/morph)
    TTC Cycle #1: 50mg Clomid, Novarel 10000iu (CD 15), 2 follies- BFN
    TTC Cycle #2: 100mg Clomid, Novarel 10000iu (CD16), 1 follie- BFN
    TTC Cycle #3: 2.5mg Femara, No dominant follies CD14, Dr. cancelled.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I don't think you're a terrible person for harboring hopes of one gender over another. A terrible person is someone who is so completely devastated by having conceived the "wrong" gender that they don't even love the baby they're carrying, or even after it's born. It happens.

That being said, you are right that you are at least a little more likely, statistically, to conceive a boy with IUI and IVF. I don't know what effect your cervix would have on it, but yes, you could *try* to time the TI to be earlier, so that sperm have already been there for several days before you O, making it more likely to be a girl.

I have b/g twins, and a baby boy, all conceived with IUI. I would LOVE one more little girl - my sweet little girl would love to have a sister, and I would love one more chance at the fluffy pink dresses and tiny Mary Janes! Also I love the idea of the numbers being "even" - two of each. We are TTC #4 right now and I am quite aware it could be another boy, and I've already got it set in my mind that that will be just fine. I just have no control over it and am at peace with whatever happens. I already have some new tiny pink outfits and can't help but to hope, but as long as we are blessed with a healthy #4, I will have a smile on my face either way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyWife1153 View Post
    You can do sperm gender selection with iui iirc. It's only a little bit more $ since they do sperm washing generally. It's got a pretty decent success rate.
    That's interesting - I was actually unaware of this. I looked and found this: http://articles.cnn.com/2005-11-16/h...s?_s=PM:HEALTH

I wouldn't judge anyone else for it, but I think I'd feel guilty if I did that - like somehow I was messing TOO much with the process, and not just being happy with what God gives me.

Thanks

This is my second pregnancy from IUI, The first I lost at 7w5d so we don't know if that was a boy or girl, but this one we had a 3d ultrasound at 24 weeks and the guarantee it is a girl. We did not really have any male factor issues other than low volume, count and morphology were great, infact the "sample" for this pregnancy the lab tech and the doctor said was one of the best they had ever seen.
    Kellie 37 Ray 41
    TTC 3 years DX 8/2009 @ 35 yrs old
    BFP 2/15/2010
    MC 3/11/2010 7w5d Hidden Content
    BFP 9/27/10
    Girl Due 6/5/11
    Hidden Content
    Blessed are those that mourn, for they shall be comforted Matthew 5:4
    Hidden Content

Registered User previouslybutterfly3861's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have a boy...we have motility problems though. but I agree with PP that you can do gender selection if you pay for it.

Hurry Up and Wait. Hooah ArmyWife1153's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not messing too much with the process IMO.
    It's using the technology that has been developed to further your family.
    It's not like you are choosing between embryos or something already growing.
    You're just dividing the sperm.
    Along that train, is it any different than growing embryos out and implanting the healthy ones for ivf? Instead of just putting all the fertilized ones in and letting nature take it's course?
    No you are using the available technology to grow your family.
    Me (28), DH (41), DSS (18), DSD (14), DD (6), DS (5)
    V 1999 ~~ VR 1/14/11
    2/21 PCOS dx, DH (Low motility/morph)
    TTC Cycle #1: 50mg Clomid, Novarel 10000iu (CD 15), 2 follies- BFN
    TTC Cycle #2: 100mg Clomid, Novarel 10000iu (CD16), 1 follie- BFN
    TTC Cycle #3: 2.5mg Femara, No dominant follies CD14, Dr. cancelled.
    Hidden Content

Tribbles on board AnotherDreamer's Avatar
    Thanks

To the OP, you might consider posting this in the pregnancy or mommy sections. You may get more feedback, you can also add a poll to your threads You'll get some feedback here, but you'll probably get more over in those sections.
    Stephanie 29 & DH 29 :: Hidden Content
    Miscarriages: 5/08, 3/09, 11/09
    4 years & injects/IUI= DS 12/11
    injects/IUI= DD twins born 06/14
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." --Winston Churchill
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AnotherDreamer For This Useful Post:

winddrop (03-18-2011)

Registered User previouslybutterfly3861's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Also...I just thought of this. If you have no MF there's not that much more of a chance of conceiving with an IUI it barely ups conception rates for "normal" sperm and if you don't have any other issues besides PCOS...the cervix thing..I have a very posterior cervix and it's really hard to reach. I started using instead cups when we bd'd because it seemed to help from (TMI) leakage after BD...you might try that with TI because the sperm will pool around your cervix no matter what position it is in

Thanks

we did iui with no male factor issue- we got a girl.

Me- Nikki- 33, DH- Doug- 34
    Sophia Elizabeth- 7 yrs old
    Delaney Grace- "Laney" "Lulu"- 1yr old (bday 10/27)
    BIG SURPRISE!! Coming 1/12/13

Thanks

We conceived my daughter with IUI and I was shocked that is was a girl, bc I heard the same thing you did about having a higher chance of a boy with IUI. We are TTC #2 with IUI, so we shall see!

I also would not feel right sperm washing to ensure a boy or girl. Would you really not want a boy or girl that much, that you would pay to ensure that you wouldn't have one? I do realize that process does not 100% guarantee it, but still. Something seems wrong about that to me.
    Jill (35), DH (32), married 1/04
    TTC #1 since 9/07, no luck after several cycles with Met and/or Clomid, Follistim w/ IUI -BFP 1/20/09 (second try after 1 canceled cycle), DD1 born Oct 2009
    TTC #2 since 10/10, Follistim w/ IUI (after 2 failed cycles)-BFP 4/12/11, DD2 born Jan 2011
    No Meds Surprise Baby, DS1 born Jan 14

Thanks

Good question jmk... I have done so much reading about gender. It is a fact that male sperm is smaller and faster, but dies quicker...and female sperm is bigger, slower and lives longer. I asked my NP about IUI producing more males and she was pretty vague about it. Since the sperm is injected closer I think it gives the female sperm more of a shot...but she also told me at the same time, some male sperm dont survive the washing. I asked her about using the washing for selection and she said it was easier to do that to get a boy.
    That said, I think its a personal decision but just DTD before the IUI and hopefully some sperm will still be waiting for the egg. Good luck! I know youll be happy with whatever it is you get
    Me, Ang: 29 DH: 29, MF low motility
    TTC #2 since July 2009, DS is 4
    1st Inj: Bravelle + Ovidrel + progesterone supp
    Mar 4th, IUI one 22mm follie
    Hidden Content BFP 11dpo. BETAS 14dpo: 109 17DPO: 340Hidden Content
    its a...GIRL!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I had twins...1 boy and 1 girl
    July 2009 -- 1st IUI -- BFN
    August 2009 -- 2nd IUI -- BFP
    ---- Twins delivered prematurely on 1/29/10. They did not make it.

March 2011 -- 100mg Clomid -- Cancelled cycle due to low follie response
    April 2011 -- 150mg Clomid w/ IUI -- BFP :: Chemical pregnancy

Hidden Content

Thanks

that is perfect!!!!! How many follies did you have pryncess? I only had 1 but am still hoping for identical twins! (ya right)
    Me, Ang: 29 DH: 29, MF low motility
    TTC #2 since July 2009, DS is 4
    1st Inj: Bravelle + Ovidrel + progesterone supp
    Mar 4th, IUI one 22mm follie
    Hidden Content BFP 11dpo. BETAS 14dpo: 109 17DPO: 340Hidden Content
    its a...GIRL!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

We're expecting a girl, but we do have MF issues. I was really shocked when we found out, I was so certain it was a boy!
    Proud Vegan - I lost 75 lbs. & hubby lost 65!

DH: 29
    Me: 36 - hello, "advanced maternal age"!
    First Pregnancy
    Femara 3-7, Estradiol (5mm lining again), Prog after O, IUI

Hidden Content

Hidden Content