Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Can someone with PCOS get pregnant accidentally (while on bc)?

I'm doing pretty well on 2,000mg of Metformin and losing weight slowly, but steadily. I've been on Yasmin for years, but I'm not super-careful about taking it on time each day because I thought there was almost no chance I could get pregnant having PCOS *and* being on birth control. Well, now I'm late (which I'm usually not due to Yasmin) and having nausea and I'm *freaking out* worrying that I could be pregnant. If I don't get my period in a couple more days, I will get a pregnancy test, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask here.

Has anyone ever heard of someone with PCOS accidentally getting pregnant while on the pill?
    Yasmin, Metformin, Spiro, Victoza, Levothyroxin
    Start weight: 190
    Current weight: 166
    Hidden Content

Thanks

If you haven't been taking the BCP regularly, then yes, it can happen. Especially with the Metformin and weight loss! Good luck, and hope you get AF soon! x

Amanda (23) & DBF Vlad (31)
    Future step-children: Vanessa (8), Dominic (5)
    BFP 9 August 2010: It's a GIRL!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I know you donīt want to hear that, but yes it is possible to get pregnant while on bcp, PCOS or not. BCP in a way, balances the hormones that are normally unbalanced in PCOS women, sort of "resetting" us cysters to a more "normal" profile. Sooo, if you skip a pill, you have basically the same chance as a non-PCOS lady of conceiving. With all the low dose bcps, you have to be careful keeping the times you take it. That being said, chances of conception while on bcp are low, unless you skip pills. I would test just to get piece of mind. I hope you get the answer you are looking for Best of luck!
    me=38, DH=40 PCOS dx 1991
    pre-natals, baby aspirin, raspberry leaf tea cd10 until hCG
    1/09/09 clomid (50mg) cd2-6/hCG/iui - BFN; 2/09 clomid (50mg) cd2-6/estrogen cd7-10/no foll.
    3/09/09 femara (2.5mg) cd2-6/no foll.; 4-6/09 bcp; 5/09 HSG all clear
    7/09/09 femara (5mg) cd2-6/hCG/IUI/prometrium - BFP July 25th Hidden Content
    Sammy born March/2010 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You should call your doctor to be sure. Metformin has been known to help women with PCOS conceive. If you're also losing weight, your hormones may be beginning to regulate themselves. If you didn't take the pill within a two hour window of when you were supposed to, you increase your chances of becoming pregnant.
    PCOS dx 10/19/2009
    2000mg Metformin, 1000 IU daily Vitamin D, 1st month off of BCP's after struggling for 15 years.
    Not TCC

Hidden Content

Follow my PCOS journey on my daily blog: Hidden Content

Such stuff as dreams... Katie_Lucey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,219 Posts

The simple answer is YES. I know more then one person who got pregnant while on birth control and taking it regularly. PCOS does not mean you can't get pregnant and birth control is never 100% effective.

I would take a test ASAP.
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    M/C: 02/01*10/10*03/12*04/12
    August 2011- Connor was born
    February 2013- Jackson was born
    We are overwhelmingly blessed!
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 486 Posts

I got pregnant on yasmin. There are a lot of yasmin babies around this board.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks

I got pregnant on Yasmin and my beautiful 2 year old DD is the result!

Thanks

I did. My dr said that the pill lowers testosterone so it's not unlikely for PCOS women to get pregnant on the pill. I had been on Microgestin for years when I got pregnant. I didn't even think I could get pregnant. My lo will be 2 in May.
    Sarah, Mommy to surprise baby Reagan 5/20/09Hidden Content and wife to my wonderful Michael Hidden Content
    Diagnosed PCOS 6/25/2010
    2500mg Met...it worked. I'v stopped gaining weight...lost a few pounds and I'm regular for the first time in my life!

Taking a break from ttc #2

Hidden Content

Thanks

Yeah, it could def. happen especially since you're not consistent with the pills.

The way I look at it is if you had unprotected sex, regardless of pill/IUD/etc, you could be pregnant. It's that simple.

I know a girl that got pregnant with an IUD in and another that got pregnant after having her tubes tied for years and years. They were shocked to say the least.

I would go grab a cheap test or call your doctor to get a blood test done.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am now sufficiently freaked out that I think I will get a test on the way home today. Not sure what I'm hoping the result will be. One night last weekend I had about 5 drinks plus I take a bunch of medications that aren't recommended for pregnancy, so I'm worried about that in particular. I will let you all know the result when I get it.
    Yasmin, Metformin, Spiro, Victoza, Levothyroxin
    Start weight: 190
    Current weight: 166
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I wouldn't be too worried about the drinking or the meds. I was about 8w when I found out I was pg w/ Molly and right before I tested, I drank the last Mike's in the fridge (I knew I was pg, but needed that boost of confidence to test). You would be really, really early in your pg and chances are that most things shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks

Gabrielle - I wouldn't worry about those drinks or meds - most women don't know they're pregnant immediately and think about how many women go out, get trashed and wind up pregnant LOL The body is an amazing and resilient thing. If/when you test tell us the results!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am now sufficiently freaked out that I think I will get a test on the way home today. Not sure what I'm hoping the result will be. One night last weekend I had about 5 drinks plus I take a bunch of medications that aren't recommended for pregnancy, so I'm worried about that in particular. I will let you all know the result when I get it.
    Gabrielle - My DS was an unplanned pregnancy. I went to a Cubs game and drank all day (there were a few other occasions I drank too) and I had a thyroid uptake scan done (which you are NOT supposed to do while pregnant) all while I was preggers with him and didn't know it. I was almost 8 weeks before I figured it out. I was really worried that I had harmed him when I found out I was pregnant, but he is almost 5 years old now and perfectly healthy. Now, I would never recommend knowingly doing those things while pregnant of course, but sometimes when the pregnancy is a surprise you do things without knowing. Lots of luck to you!
    Me - 36 & DH - 36
    DS1 - born May 20, 2006
    DD - born July 7, 2010
    DS2 - born Aug. 7, 2012 at 31 weeks gestation

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

But you should test soon because you don't want to keep on taking birth control if you are pregnant but I'm assuming that you are on the placebo pills right now anyway. KUP
    Meredith - 34 dh- John 34
    DS: Lucas William born on May 9, 2009

at 12:18 pm weighing 5lbs 12oz 19.25 inches (35 weeks gestation)

DD: Madelyn Grace born on August 31, 2011
    at 5:21am weighing 6lbs 7oz 19.5 inches

Surprise Bfp June 2013!! EDD February 24,2014

Hidden Content

Thanks

I did I got pregnant from the Birth control shot...really bizarre
    Cortney- (22)Jason- (24) Phantom- (2)
    TTC Baby #1
    PCOS, Left tube blocked, and Male infertility
    BFP! 3/25/2011. 1st beta. 500. 2nd Beta 1100. 3rd Beta 2400. 4th Beta 22,057! please stick baby Hidden Content
    EDD:November 30th 2011!Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content