Thanks

Default Pregnant with high testosterone levels

Hi All,
    I need some advice from my sisters. Last week, i found out i was pregnant. I used gonal f and IUI. I am very pleased but, my doctor tested my testosterone levels at my first appointment after the positive and she found that are still high at 76! I am mad at my doctor because i feel she should have tested this before trying to get me pregnant, don't you think? I was taking metformin at 1500 but since last week, i have increased it to 2000. I have had four miscarriages and I am so scared that with this high testosterone level, i will miscarry again. I need advice, should I be scared? What can i do at this stage to reduce my testosterone levels? I am not sure that my doctor knows what she is doing. Tell me your stories please, i am absolutely terrified.
    Love
    Isha

Thanks

Isha, I believe my levels were a little high too. I started 2000mg of Met in November and my levels haven't been checked since. Im not sure if there is any effect on the pregnancy. Little trivia, I once read that mothers with high testosterone tend to produce more left handed babies. Wierd I know, but my son is left handed and hes the only one in the family!
    Me, Ang: 29 DH: 29, MF low motility
    TTC #2 since July 2009, DS is 4
    1st Inj: Bravelle + Ovidrel + progesterone supp
    Mar 4th, IUI one 22mm follie
    Hidden Content BFP 11dpo. BETAS 14dpo: 109 17DPO: 340Hidden Content
    its a...GIRL!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi Willow, thank you so much for responding,- that is sooooo helpful. This is my first thread and i dont understand why no one else is replying. Please sisters, reply!!PLEASE

Such stuff as dreams... Katie_Lucey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,946 Times in 2,272 Posts

Staying on the Met is probably the best thing to do to help control those levels. The other things you can do is eat well and watch your blood sugar. When your blood sugar is out of whack it effects your insulin and once that gets out of the normal routine it effects your hormone levels. Eating well and meds are the two best things you can do now. Many PCOS ladies have high testosterone as it is an indicator of PCOS. It could clear up in pregnancy since your body is working more efficiently- or if you are carrying a boy you can get more testosterone in your system from that. I woulnd't worry about it too much right now. Take care of yourself, take your meds and see what happens. With the history of losses have they done recurrent loss testing to see why you have been miscarrying? I know after three they usually like to do those tests.
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    M/C: 02/01*10/10*03/12*04/12
    August 2011- Connor was born
    February 2013- Jackson was born
    We are overwhelmingly blessed!
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 487 Posts

high testosterone will keep you from ovulating and if you do o maybe give you not such great quality eggs. But - just my opinion - I'd think it would be the kind of poor quality egg that just wouldn't even fertilize, or would be a super early chemical loss - not t later type m/c. So if you get preg with high test. and get a heartbeat and all that your odds should be as good as anyone else's.

I don;t think I had testosterone checked while TTC with treatment so I don't know if it was high. I dont know why they'd test it once you were preg - did they give you a reason?? There's not much you can do about high testosterone that is safe for a pregnancy. Aldactone should not be taken while preg or ttc and birth control pills kind of ruin your chances of ttc so... Metformin will lower test. in some, but not all - as will diet/exercise - but if they don't work you're kind of out of luck. Fertility meds are sort of the way to over ride PCOS and get pregant despite what is wrong - esp once you go the injectable route. SO more testing would have been pointless, there's nothing more to to be done and fertility meds are about the best you can do.

SO bottom line - I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure lots and lots of us have gotten preg with high testosterone and most of us just don't know.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

~Can't Beleive It Worked~ ChelseyWol's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I agree with the other girls who said that pregnancy may even regulate your testosterone.
    I think so long as you are as healthy as you can be, and make sure to eat properly and not gain too much weight during your pregnancy, your hormones will kick in and your body will do what it needs to.
    Good luck!
    TTC#1 Oct'08 DX w/PCOS Feb'10
    Aug18th'10 1st 100mg cycle Clomid-IT WORKED!

May29th'11~Zoey born@11:14pm-emerg CSection, 7lbs14oz
    Surprise natural BFP April'13
    July 31st Ultrasound-
    Team PinkHidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Wow, thank you so much for these responses. This board is awesome and you ladies are all so kind. It makes such a huge difference to hear from others going through something similar. @ Runnerduck, they are not so sure whsat is causing the miscarriages, my doctor said it could be excess androgens due to the PCOS which is why I guess she retested even when i got pregnant. Well I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again so much ladies and happy easter!!