Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Lap-band DOES work!

I just went for my consult today for the lap-band and I was very excited, until I came here to this board and read up on posts about it. I can't believe the negativity towards it. And saying 'I'm not putting the band down-but' or 'I know it works for some people-but' before talking badly about it doesn't help encourage people who are getting this surgery in hopes of changing their lives.

The lap-band does work, if you work with it.

And just a little encouragement for those of you considering lapband, everyone that I know that's had the band has been successful.

However, if you don't follow up when you're supposed to, you wont be successful because the band needs adjustments. As you lose weight, the fat that the band is around gets smaller, therefore needing a fill so that you continue to feel full. The band doesn't just go around your stomach, there is a layer of fat on your stomach and the band goes around that. Of course if you don't go for fills and you lose weight, the band will be able to move and you will have trouble with feeling hungry.

I personally picked lap-band because I'm not heavy enough to get gastric bypass, and frankly, the risks associated with it weren't worth it to me.

GOOD LUCK TO THOSE CONSIDERING, GETTING, OR WHO ALREADY HAVE THE LAP-BAND!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda_Who For This Useful Post:

keecee (07-19-2013)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Gee thanks. I'm glad your band is working for you. Mine kept slipping. Apparently by your post it was my fault. To bad you're so freaking new here, or you'd see the struggles I personally had with the CRAP-Band!

teri
    Teri (39) & ds brandon 14 yr & twins Michael and Matthew born 2-22-06 Hidden Content Angels :march + July 12, 2002
    Chronic back pain, RSD, reflux, diabetes II, pcos,
    lap band September 16, 2008, RNY 1-11-11 [url]Hidden Content http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wVGrMyT/s-weight.png"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to terilynn112 For This Useful Post:

hopeful85 (04-27-2011)

Thanks

I never said I had a band. I said I went for a consult. I never said it was your fault either. I was stating facts. A lot of people fail with the band because they don't follow up with it. NOT ALL OF THEM, OBVIOUSly, because sometimes things are out of our control. And the reason for my post was that I was shocked at the negativity towards the band when there are so many people who are excited to get it. With that said, I really don't appreciate your condescending tone, nor that fact that you think because I'm new I don't know anything.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amanda_Who For This Useful Post:

christinanewhart (07-29-2012),lonessave (03-07-2013)

Thanks

I had RNY but have seen plenty of people with the band...some succeeded...some did not. Those did...great job...it was the right surgery choice for them, such as Tracy here on SC and a few other personal friends. For those that didn't (which frankly I have seen more of) some did fail for lack of trying and following up...they had surgery beliving that the lapband was going to be the magic fix and that poof their lives were going to be better and they were going to be skinny with no work because they would not be able to eat much. These people clearly didn't do their research because the band...or any WLS for that matter is just a tool....you have to work it.

Then there are others like my friends Beth and Teri, who despite all efforts, the band really did fail them. Teri struggled for 2 years trying to get the band to work. She had complication after complication and after 2 years of doing everything she was supposed to and at the time of her revision to RNY she weighed more than when she had the band placed. I can understand her negativity towards the band...even her anger with it. She'd followed up with her surgeon so many times it was HIM that suggested that she get it removed and revise to RNY since she'd had so many problems with it. Then Beth...who despite becoming a marathon runner after her lapband, failed to loose more than 20lbs with the band and didn't find real success in weight loss til she (after 2 years of working her a$$ off) revised to RNY.

My point being this. Before having ANY sort of WLS...research research research. Don't settle on one particular type just because it's the least invasive or because it's the 'latest/popular" thing. I've known many a post op in my last almost 7 years post op life who started out determined to have one surgery, only to research it & meet with a qualified bariatric surgeon and then decide on a different surgery. I have seen successes and fails with each form of surgery...sometimes (usually) it's the fault of the person, sometimes it's not...nuff said.

Kristy
    Kristy (35) & Adam (38) & DDs Alice Kay & Amanda Kay
    Founding WLS DIVA - RNY 8/3/04
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goddess819 For This Useful Post:

hopeful85 (04-30-2011),terilynn112 (04-30-2011)

Thanks

Thank you for responding. I completely agree with everything you've said. You've got to research and make the best decision for yourself. And for those people who did not find success with their choice, my heart does go out to them. I've been battling with weight my whole life thanks to this wonderful PCOS so I know how hard it can be.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What I wanna point out... .and hate me if you wish... dr's are paid stripends by the lapband companies. They're given gifts, etc. My own surgeon just took a trip on allergan. They say they work, because of the business it brings. You cannot believe everything you are told!

teri
    Teri (39) & ds brandon 14 yr & twins Michael and Matthew born 2-22-06 Hidden Content Angels :march + July 12, 2002
    Chronic back pain, RSD, reflux, diabetes II, pcos,
    lap band September 16, 2008, RNY 1-11-11 [url]Hidden Content http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wVGrMyT/s-weight.png"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to terilynn112 For This Useful Post:

shugal (07-26-2011)

Thanks

I'm new to the forums, and i would highly appreciate any advice. I've just been told that when I turn in a form on June 1st, that i'll be approved for the lap band surgery.

I've had a hard time with my weight ever since i started menstruating, which was around 12. I kept bringing up my symptoms to the NP that I was seeing, and all she'd say is "hmm... that's weird" and wouldn't pursue it. It wasn't until i was 21 that I was able to switch doctors, and within 5 minutes, had me diagnosed with PCOS. In getting ready for being reviewed to see if I qualify for the lap band, I was reading through some of my old medical records. It shocked me to see that for 9 YEARS, different doctors had been communicating with each other, saying they believed I had PCOS or PCOD, and NONE of them did the correct tests. When I first started having issues with my periods, which was from the start, they did an ultrasound of my ovaries, but that early on, you're super lucky they are able to catch a cyst. After that, they never did another test. I was so upset at all of my previous doctors for letting it get this bad, and I keep thinking that the reason they did nothing, was because they didn't believe me when I said that I exercised and watched what I ate, but still gained weight. It's so frustrating that for NINE YEARS I had to put up with people calling me names, and getting angry at myself that no matter what I did, I couldn't lose weight.

I am now 23, almost 24, and I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. My husband and I have been putting off trying for kids until I could get my weight to a healthy point, and I'm so excited that that point could be within reach.

Thanks

Welcome to SC. I'm sorry that for so long the docs thought that you had PCOS but yet failed to adequately treat. I was wondering how much weight you had to loose? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what lead you to choose the lapband over any of the other surgeries? Just curious.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Goddess819,

Are you asking how much weight i had to lose to be approved? or how much weight I have to lose to get to my ideal weight?

Also, I chose the lap band over the other surgeries, because I've had more experience with the band. My dad got the band about 5-6 years ago, and it's worked very well for him. I know what to expect. Also, it reversable. If it ends up not working, or I (hopefully) get pregnant, and I'm not getting the nutrients i need, etc, it can be taken out. My husband is also very protective of me when it comes to stuff like that. The other surgeries are much more....in depth. With my luck with surgeries, I wouldn't heal well from the other surgeries. Also, I know that women with PCOS have had more luck losing weight with say RNY, but I wouldn't mind losing weight at a slower pace, so that my body has a chance to catch up, and I don't wind up with a bunch of left over skin.

Overall, the band had more pros than cons for me. I have nothing against the other surgeries, I just decided that the band suited me better.

Thanks

also, I like that the band doesn't do all the work for you. I really need a kick-start. I want to get in the habit of working out and eating right, long term. I did what i had to do to get qualified, but i've been trying to lose weight for years, with no success. I've gotten to feel like there's no point in me working out, since it won't do anything for me. i want to work at it, so that i'm in the right frame of mind to keep it going.

♥ Expecting our 1st ♥ girlbryant's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda_Who View Post
    However, if you don't follow up when you're supposed to, you wont be successful because the band needs adjustments. As you lose weight, the fat that the band is around gets smaller, therefore needing a fill so that you continue to feel full. The band doesn't just go around your stomach, there is a layer of fat on your stomach and the band goes around that. Of course if you don't go for fills and you lose weight, the band will be able to move and you will have trouble with feeling hungry.

I personally picked lap-band because I'm not heavy enough to get gastric bypass, and frankly, the risks associated with it weren't worth it to me.

GOOD LUCK TO THOSE CONSIDERING, GETTING, OR WHO ALREADY HAVE THE LAP-BAND!
    Lapband was the best decision of my life! I was banded in October and have lost right at 70lbs. It was in no way an easy fix and I struggle at times daily, in making healthy food choices as well as excercising consistently. Alot of people do fail with the band for several reasons. It's only a tool to aid in weight loss, it isn't a quick fix. Neither is the sleeve or gastric, I know numerous people who have failed with those surgeries as well. Being banded does require more focus and the mind set to make a life style change. You have to eat healthy. You have to stay away from soft/liquid foods that are unhealthy and you have to excercise. I'm happier now than I've ever been. I'm so close to loosing 100 lbs. in less than a year. That my friend, is success! If you decide to get it, best of luck to you! I hope it brings you the happiness I've acheived! But just like any of the surgeries, it isn't a "quick fix" nor is it always easy. You have to work the band.

My before/progress picture, taken this past weekend:

[I'm on the Right]
    Me (32) ♥ Him (36)

After an incredible 10 years journey with infertility, we're expecting our first child. We began treatments in
    2009. An HSG revealed blocked tubes in April 2011. Surgery was May 2011 to unblock tubes/remove
    mild endo/minor scar tissue; July 2011 we got our BFP! We had a total of 5 IUI's w/ Femara/Repronex combo.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to girlbryant For This Useful Post:

justamanda (04-12-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terilynn112 View Post
    What I wanna point out... .and hate me if you wish... dr's are paid stripends by the lapband companies. They're given gifts, etc. My own surgeon just took a trip on allergan. They say they work, because of the business it brings. You cannot believe everything you are told!

teri
    What I'D like to point out is that even though people are looking to lapband to help them and change their lives, you're still trying to bring up negative facts that are almost pointless. And for someone who has successfully lost 73lbs, I would have imagined you'd be more encouraging and uplifting instead of negative. Everyone is different and each WLS is different. What will work for one person may not work for another. That's the way it is. I'm sorry the lapband didn't work for you, but you still lost 73 lbs and that is amazing with this condition. And I'm pretty sure the women on this website aren't stupid and won't just believe everything they hear. And I mean really, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't post.

Girlbryant, that is awesome!
    You look fantastic. I can only hope to have results as good as yours!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda_Who For This Useful Post:

CindyRB8603 (07-09-2011)

Thanks

Girlbryant,
    you do look amazing! congratulations! I think the lap band would be a good thing for me. like i said in a previous post, i WANT to get in the habit of making the right choices, and exercising. i've lost so much motivation over the years to do those things, because they made absolutely no difference one way or another. I really need the kick-start the lap band would provide, and then be able to do the rest myself.

Amanda_who,
    i totally agree with the things you've said. i never even asked my surgeon what surgery he thought would be best. I did my OWN research on the different surgeries, and chose the one that was best for me. it happened to be the lap band, and my surgeon agreed with my decision.

I can't wait to set my surgery date!!!

Thanks

I just set my surgery date! It's going to be June 16th!!!

Thanks

In Teri's defense...she had a very negative experience with the lapband and I can understand her tone behind her postings. She's not a negative person...sadly she was mislead by things that were told to her pre op. Her real success with her weight loss didn't come til she had the band removed (after 2 very difficult years) and revised to the RNY. Personally I'm glad that you did the research and found that the lapband had more pros than cons for you and I wish you all the best in your journey to health. I was just making sure that you had done your research to come to the decision to lapband and didn't just pick it because it's gaining popularity. I ask the same question of all pre ops...why did you choose the surgery you did? Sometimes after doing research they've ended up picking a different surgery whether it be going from lapband to RNY or RNY to DS or DS to lapband...I just want to make sure that every post op has their best chance for success. And to be successful you have to pick the procedure that is best for you. For you it's the lapband, for me and Teri it was the RNY. GL to you! Please...keep us posted on how it goes!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content