Thanks

Question Normal cramping but then just barely spotting?

I've been diagnosed with PCOS for about 6 years now. I originally got diagnosed because I couldn't stop my very heavy period and I was put on BCP's. I stayed on those til about 6 months ago when I decided I had enough of the hormones and I wanted to go 'natural'.

Well, I ended up starting eating low carb, and within 2 weeks I started cramping and then started my period. It was 'normal'. About 5 days long and a medium flow. The next month, the same. Then in January, I didn't cramp and my period came and it lasted 4 days and was very light. February, I cramped like crazy, but my period was 3 days long and was barely more than spotting. March was the same except it was 2 days. And just in April it was HORRIBLE cramping, but then 4 days of just barely more than spotting.

What is going on? My periods are, for the first time without BCP's, 28-30 days apart. The cramping is worse than I've ever experienced (when I was on BCP's I never cramped). But they're light and that worries me. My husband and I would eventually like to start TTC but I'm more just into getting my weight down and regulating my periods.

Anyone have any ideas or ways to induce a heavier period or have a problem similar to this? What was your outcome?

Thanks

Hi Britty. I have the same exact issue and joined this site to find help. I came off depo provera in January 2010 and didn't start having cycles until July 2010. Once the cycles regulated in November, I started receiving OPK indicators that I was ovulating (with only one positive per cycle-so no consistently high LH surges) and had cycles of 28 days like clockwork. However, the issue was that my luteal phase was very short (4-9 days the first couple months). I started working with a personal trainer and trying to get rid of the weight I gained after quitting the depo (I gained 30 pounds). This seemed to increase my luteal phase to 11 days by January and February. I thought this was a great sign. However, my last really signifcant flow was February 25. In March I did not cycle at all. On April 2, I had a couple days with a brown discharge or a light pink watery discharge after wiping only. I went to the doc's on the 11th and he confirmed that my luteal phase was too short. He started me on Metformin and told me to assume that the discharge day was the start of my last period and to go forward from there. He also told me to take a break this month from BBT charting and using the OPK kits. Finally, he said that I should expect my period within a couple weeks and then to begin the Clomid that he perscribed. My issue though, is that I am now at 30 days and nothing. I had tender breasts for a while, but they went away yesterday. Also, I had cramps all day yesterday and then nothing. Woke up this morning and NOTHING! No tender breasts, no cramps. I think I will give it one more week and then I am calling the doctor and asking for an u/s to see what's up. If everything is okay, I will ask for something to induce a period.

Thanks

Hi,
    I have been having this problem for some time now. I know that I have ovulated and then feel AF coming on and nothing except spotting. For awhile I thought maybe I was spotting during ovulation which is very possible.

I alternate between light and heavy periods too. Some months I barely notice and other months I spend days in bed with a heating pad and Aleve. I don't think there is really any rhyme or reason to it other than with PCOS the hormonal fluctation...especially after coming of BCP's. Your body has been so used to synthetic hormones that it is trying to regulate with its own hormones.

I think with PCOS that we ovulate but the eggs just don't get released rather they become cysts...so we have all the hormones rushing through our bodies. If you are certain you ovulated and you are trying to conceive I would also take a pregnancy test because sometimes there is implantation bleeding.

Just a thought! Good luck!

Thanks

I've' been having a somewhat similar problem. I've been having problems with strange, short, light periods since ttc. On clomid, my periods shortened from 5 days to about 2 1/2. I'd have one day of bleeding that was mostly clots and brown discharge, and then very, very faint pink bleeding for the next day and a half. I was on bcp the last 6 weeks to suppress some ovarian cysts. Today I started my first period since stopping them, and it seems to be the same thing as with clomid, but with larger clots. Now, after less than a day, it's almost completely stopped.

It concerns me and I don't know if I should be worried that it will affect my chances of getting pregnant. :S
    ~~~~

Jenny (40)
    and James (44)
    ttc since January, 2011

Proud parents to Seamus Finnegan, born June 21st, 2013. Hidden Content
    Expecting our second little miracle, Archer James, in October, 2014.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi,
    I have had this problem in the past I would get cramps(horrible) like my af was goin to begin then i would spot for a few days. I agree with LittleGreen it "PCOS that we ovulate but the eggs just don't get released rather they become cysts" This is probally how the string of pearls forms.