Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Rising estrogen levels

I have been doing some reading about egg quality during injection cycles, and alot of people seem to talk about how your estrogen rises during a cycle, while being monitored, and how that relates to egg quality. Does anyone have any ideas about this? My estrogen is always slower to rise at the beginning of a cycle, this time it's going up but not doubling in a 48 hr period..... Just wondering about it.
    *~* Stephanie (33) & John (36) *~*
    TTC for baby #1; 1 overstim and 2BFNs (follisitm, ovidrel and IUI)
    5/19/2011 & 5/20/2011 -follistim/ovidrel/IUI #3- BFP!
    Hidden Content
    7/5/11: Baby H's heartbeat at a strong 176bpm!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    i'm a hippie and i love music Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm interested to know this too
    Me & DH both 30
    BFP Cycle 75iu Gonal-F + Ovidrel + TI - BFP 11th August 2011 Hidden Content
    3 follies -17.5mm, 16.2mm & 15.4mm and lining 11.9mm trigger 2 days later P4 level 36 @ 5dpo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I have no idea, but super interested to know more information
    Lisa-34 DH-35
    TTC #1 since Oct 08, 4 Chemical Pregnancies (injection cycles)
    Natural BFP Nov 30, 2011 8dpo, beta#1 9dpo 7: beta#2 14dpo 113: beta#3 20dpo 1467
    Zoe born 8/8/2012
    TTC#2
    BFP 9dpo 7/6/14... stick bean stick!
    Hidden Content

Tribbles on board AnotherDreamer's Avatar
    Thanks

My RE never mentioned egg quality exactly when we talked about estrogen on my inject cycles. But she did mention they prefer it to double every 2 days, this indicates that you're responding properly and your dose of meds is good. If it goes slower, you may end up with slower growth (or none at all) and that in turn can lead to poorer egg quality. Her thing is that long cycles were you're having no response at all, then they finally hit the right dose and you respond correctly, aren't such a big deal. But long cycles where you're slowly slowly growing, and your estrogen is slowly rising, this could impair egg quality. She explained that in the first scenerio, the eggs haven't begun to mature so there's no worry over their quality yet. On the latter cycles though, the eggs are growing slowly and being subjected to hormones so there is a possible issue with quality.

I never stimmed more than 10 days on her cycles, my E2 always doubled (or more) in 2 days, never had any issues, always had 4-6 eggs, and got pregnant 2x out of 3 cycles.
    My first RE stimmed me for 20 some days, E2 slowly slowly rose, had 1 egg, and I didn't Ov properly when he triggered me. I got AF 9 days after my trigger shot.

So I'm definitely not a fan of long stimming cycles. I do believe it can hurt egg quality if the dose isn't where it needs to be. It's one thing to be cautious and keep the dose low, but another to keep it too low when they know it's barely doing anything for you.

Of course, this is just my experience and opinion. I'm really not an expert. I just know that for me, the lower my E2 rose and the longer I stimmed, the worse results I had.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnotherDreamer For This Useful Post:

applescruff04 (05-15-2011),Lisa82 (05-15-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thanks anotherdreamer! that is really great information. i am not going to say much about my first cycle b/c i also stimmed for 20+ days and i ended up overstimming. but my last two cycles ... well i wish i wrote down my estrogen through the whole cycle, what i have are e-mails and the details are scattered. but i know for both of them, i would have estrogen that would go up a little, then drop a little - basically would only be a 7-8 point difference between day 5 and 7.

this cycle i wanted more doubling, but at least between day 5 and 7 it went from 40 to 60. not quite doubling, but a little better than under 10 points. right now my lining is 10mm, and i have 2 follicles at 13mm.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I haven't heard about doubling, but my RE wanted to see my E2 level somewhere around 100 on CD6. I've just looked up my BFP chart, and my E2 did double every 2 days-- it went: 105, 241, 537, then 869 the next day when I triggered. I had 4 follies, which matches what I know in that every 200 usually means you've got 1 mature egg. I'd love to know more about what affects egg quality. Anotherdreamer might be on to something with the length of time the follie/egg is exposed to estrogen. I'd guess that too long isn't good, but too short is probably also not good. That's not helpful, though, is it?!
    DS July 2009: Cycle 3 of gonal-F + IUI

Officially TTC #2 since May 2010
    July 2012: IVF cycle- 2 good embryos txfr'ed. BFN
    Sept 2012: IVF 2, BFN after car accident
    Dec 2013: IVF 3- BFP! m/c @ 9 weeks :-(
    2 frosties- Maybe a May txfr?

FET in July. FX'ed this is it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Franca For This Useful Post:

applescruff04 (05-16-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

franca- it's confusing isn't it? and b/c my E2 is always in the 40s on day 4, i'm wondering if that's too low and that means something. i have no idea, it's hard to find any real information. i am thinking the follicles will be in the 15-16mm range by tomorrow, so my E2 should be alot higher. if it's not? then i am really going to believe that the cycle is a bust and my eggs are crummy. and if that's the case, then i really think more IUI cycles are a waste of time. this is all pretty confusing!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, in the 40s on day 4 would be OK because if it doubled then it would be 80 on day 6, which would make my RE happy. As I mentioned above, so long as you have 200 per egg when you trigger, then that should mean good things. Have you ever had your FSH tested? I thought that gives an indication of egg quality and reserve.
    DS July 2009: Cycle 3 of gonal-F + IUI

Officially TTC #2 since May 2010
    July 2012: IVF cycle- 2 good embryos txfr'ed. BFN
    Sept 2012: IVF 2, BFN after car accident
    Dec 2013: IVF 3- BFP! m/c @ 9 weeks :-(
    2 frosties- Maybe a May txfr?

FET in July. FX'ed this is it!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i had my FSH done less than a year ago and it was a 5.0. i wasn't in cycle or anything, it was just bloodwork done to see what was going on. that seems pretty normal if nothing has changed. maybe i am a slow responder? i have bloodwork and ultrasound tomorrow, i think i'll see if my nurse can shed any more light on this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I don't have a lot of advice, but I also was wondering this. When my RE only saw 1 10mm egg last Tuesday my estrogen was over 300. Saturday it had gone down to 250 something? They said they were not concerned since my follicles were growing, but i am concerned!!!! So we will see what it is today!
    Me-30 DH-30
    DD1- 4 (conceived when I just came off birth control on a 60 day cycle)
    Diagnosed with PCOS June 2010 (however have known I had it for a long time)
    TTC #2 since October 2009
    May 2011- 150 Clomid IUI May 19th. - BFN boo!
    June 2011- Break for vacation !
    July 2011- 150 Clomid cycle -iui BFN
    August 2011- clomid/iuiHidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for starting this thread! I've been worried about my estrogen levels this cycle, but my doctor doesn't seem to care... My normal, baseline estrogen level is about 30, and I started out this cycle at 33 (day 6) and now at day 12 I'm only at 65. The doctor has had me on the lowest dosage of FSH (75iu alternated with 37.5 iu) because she said she was worried that I would hyper-stimulate, and she said it could take 3 weeks for me to get 2 mature follicles which is what she's aiming for. I'm worried that that is too long to be slowly maturing follicles. She finally upped my dosage to 112.5 iu yesterday, so hopefully by Friday I'll have significant follicle growth and estrogen levels will soar. She doesn't seemed concerned about "egg quality" at all though which makes me very nervous. I'm going to my other doctor (OBGYN) on Friday to ask him about all of this because I trust his opinion more than my RE. It's SOOOO complicated.
    Amenorrhea 10 months, visit to RE: diagnosis with "think PCOS"
    Clomid 100 mg - nothing
    Femara 5mg, HCG trigger, IUI - one mature follicle - BFN
    New doctor + 2000mg Metformin + Femara + timed intercourse = BFN
    Another new doctor + 75iu Gonal-F injectables + Ovidrel + TI
    5/23, overstimulated
    7/3 - started low-dose Follistim cycle
    7/16 - u/s and hopefully trigger injection+ TI

Thanks

hi Ladies,
    I found this about our estrogen levels. Thought this might help in our "investigation" .. lol

In the normal menstrual cycle, estradiol levels measure typically <50 pg/ml at menstruation, rise with follicular development (peak: 200 pg/ml), drop briefly at ovulation, and rise again during the luteal phase for a second peak. At the end of the luteal phase, estradiol levels drop to their menstrual levels unless there is a pregnancy. During pregnancy, estrogen levels, including estradiol, rise steadily toward term.
    So if your estradiol was high, it might be an indication that you might Ovulate soon followed by a big LH surge indicating the follicle maturing and releasing of an egg.
    Hope this make some sense.

Stephanie - 40s in CD4 looks normal. Hope your RE gets you some more info on your next b/w results.

Funteacher - 300 and then drop to 250 - sounds like O to me according to what I found out. GL!

Laura - I really wonder why our Drs/REs wouldn't care about something so IMP in our TTC process??

Wish you all Good luck!
    Me (27) & DH (28) Married: 12/2008
    Thin PCOS dx 05/2006 TTC#1
    May 2011: First round with Femara 2.5mg CD3-7 + Ovidrel + Metformin 1000mg/day; 05/25: 1 follie - 21mm; Triggered
    06/08: BFP!!!!!!!! 06/09: Beta#1 - 195, 06/13: Beta#2 - 1078, 06/15: Beta#3 - 1788
    06/29: Heard baby's first heartbeats, 133 bpm (6wks, 3 days)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

all this information is great!

but i hope someone is online to answer my question right now. i went in this morning and i have two follies, a 17mm and an 18mm. but my estrogen is only 120. that seems way too low, but they want me to trigger tonight for IUI tomorrow and again wednesday. i talked with my RE this morning and she was saying that it would be good if my estrogen was 200+. what should i do???? should i ask to wait another day?????? or are these eggs in these follicles bad? ugh!!!!! help!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

ok, i e-mailed my nurse to ask about waiting another day, doing one more shot of follistim and going back tomorrow morning to see what's what.

edit - emailed, and got a call that they are pushing the IUI back and i get one more night of follistim. with any luck my numbers will jump up tomorrow and give us a better shot with the IUI. dude .... im feeling stressed!!!
    Last edited by applescruff04; 05-17-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I think it would be nice to wait one more day. Its so strange that your RE agrees that your number is low and still she doesn't seem to be concerned????
    Can you ask her why she would still go ahead with these numbers than work on making them better? Don't lose hope yet..
    Me (27) & DH (28) Married: 12/2008
    Thin PCOS dx 05/2006 TTC#1
    May 2011: First round with Femara 2.5mg CD3-7 + Ovidrel + Metformin 1000mg/day; 05/25: 1 follie - 21mm; Triggered
    06/08: BFP!!!!!!!! 06/09: Beta#1 - 195, 06/13: Beta#2 - 1078, 06/15: Beta#3 - 1788
    06/29: Heard baby's first heartbeats, 133 bpm (6wks, 3 days)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content