Thanks

Default First period after 5 months without - is it normally **VERY** heavy?

So, after 14 days off of NPC, I was ready to restart it and got AF. but it's back, with a vengance. Has anyone else experienced this after 5 months without? Is the first period after a few months normally EXTREMELY HEAVY (I'm talking, going through super plus tampons every couple of hours bad) and painful? I've never had a period quite this heavy in my life actually... I mean, I am SUPER excited that I finally have a period - but I just want to make sure this heaviness is normal...

Thanks

I don't think it's abnormal, but if you are worried, it can't hurt to call your doctor. I used to go months and months without a period, and when I'd finally get it, it would be so heavy that I'd soak a super plus tampon in less than an hour. Pads were worthless because there would be gushing every time I stood up (sorry it that's TMI). I would also pass HUGE clots. It would often last 8+ days, and involved vomiting, diarrhea, migraines, etc. That's definitely not most people's normal, but it was normal for me. That was before I was diagnosed. The diagnosis sure explained a lot! Hope you feel better soon!!
    Kiely-31, DH Gerry-33
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    Metformin-1,000mg/day (started 7/5/10)
    Starting weight--209.8 (4/10/10)
    Current weight--190.0 (10/7/10)
    BFP (x3 tests) on 10/4
    10/12--Confirmed! 8 1/2 weeks along. Saw u/s and heard heartbeat. Due 5/18/10!Hidden Content
    10/20--Family history completed. Still happy and healthy! Hidden Content
    5/30/11--Welcome, Preston Huckleberry, aka Huck!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm Ron Burgundy? hybridtheory45's Avatar
    Thanks

I asked my doctor the same thing, and he said that yes, its completely normal. There is so much lining built up in there that needs to come out.

After several months without a period, I soak through an ULTRA (higher than super plus!) tampon every 30 min-1 hour. Just make sure you're eating lots of red meat or getting iron somehow while its going on, because that's a good way to become anemic very quickly.
    Alyssa 27 Hidden Content David 24
    together since 6/22/10

Hidden Content I'm a Hidden Content and couldn't love it more! Hidden Content

What I'm doing:
    Eating Primal/Paleo, , Biotin 5ooomg, Magnesium 400mg, Carlton's Fish Oil 1000mg

Thanks

Oh good call.. I am already anemic, so I should be careful. Thanks guys!! I did call my doctor, and they said it's normal, and then proceeded to scold me for not using the provera they gave me and "experimenting with unknown natural treatments" as they put it. Oh well! It worked, didn't it! And they said provera protects me against precancerous conditions, NPC doesn't... I don't know about that. But I plan to continue NPC this month as well. I assume I start over and let Day 1 of my period be my cycle day 1 and start NPC again on Day 12?

Thanks

Actually provera is synthetic so I would think the NPC does a better job of protecting you against cancer because it is bio-identical to the progesterone that we make. WE just need to get our progesterone levels high enough to do so.
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

I'm Ron Burgundy? hybridtheory45's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, Provera is synthetic and I don't blame you for not using it....you can ask for Prometrium, which is the natural version, it just costs more.
    Alyssa 27 Hidden Content David 24
    together since 6/22/10

Hidden Content I'm a Hidden Content and couldn't love it more! Hidden Content

What I'm doing:
    Eating Primal/Paleo, , Biotin 5ooomg, Magnesium 400mg, Carlton's Fish Oil 1000mg

want babies not migraines mip1500's Avatar
    Thanks

Absolutely this is normal - It's happened to me twice - and doc says that is typical after missing AF for that much time or longer.
    Mags,29. DH Jake 37. Married 4/08.
    I was born at 28 wks (3lbs,5oz) & my bro at 34 wks.
    Factor V Leiden, MTHFR, PCOS dx 10/05.
    TTC#1 since 01/06 (on/off Metformin, acupunture)
    Tried 3 rounds of Clomid, 1 of Femara, 1 of follistim & continuing...

2000mg Met XR, Prenatab, Metafolin, Metafolin, Zyrtec.
    IF BFP, baby aspirin & met & low dose heparin.

Thanks

I have had this happen several times! So heavy I was going through super plus tampons each half hour! both times I had to go on 4bcp a day to stop it, very depressing to need bcp when thats the opposite of what I wanted! My gyno did a endometrial biopsy to make sure it wasnt caused by anything bad! Then we still had no AF after that so we did a HSG that was clear, now with an RE and he did a saline infused sonogram and found that I have polyps! He said that with not having AF for long periods of time doubled with the polyps caused such heavy bleeding! needless to say the polyps are now gone after surgery! best of luck!