Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Thank you soooo much for this post! i'm 19 and was just diagnosed with PCOS!!, as in .. today. i was feeling really down before .. hairfall and all that. now i have much more hope thanx to ur pics!! *hugs*

Thanks

Thanks so much for your update! I went to the Endo last week and I am on Gianvi (generic of YAZ) and Spironolactone (100 mg once a day) I hope to have some success like you.

cheers!

Thanks

I finally feel hopeful! I am 21 years old too and around the age of 15 I noticed my hair thinning dramatically. For some reason, it seemed to grow back normally but in the past year, it's started thinning again. I am waiting to hear back my final blood results but my doctor keeps saying "it's just stress". I do not believe this as I have every symptom of PCOS.

I am too afraid of Rogaine because #1 I can't wear it at work and have greasy hair. #2 I can't afford it every day the rest of my life. #3 I've heard it linked to facial hair growth - I have enough, thanks!

I'm hoping Spiro and BCP might be the answer for me too, if I can get my doctor to start listening to me. I can't get another doctor because I live in Ontario and I'm not sure if anyone else does here, but if so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Thanks for posting these pics! So inspiring!! And you are very right that most people who have success are too busy living their lives to post their stories on here.

I too had a lot of success with 200mg of Sprio and Yasmin skipping cycles. I live in NYC and Dr. Redmond started me on this regimen. Unfortunately, I went off the Spiro and Yasmin in Feb of this past year to start TTC and had a huge amount of hair loss starting in April. I also had started Metformin at the same time and at first I thought the loss was related to that. The hairloss was so bad that I decided to go back on pill for a few months. My hairloss is now under control and I'm hopeful it will grow back during pregnancy... Once the hair falls out it takes 3-6 months before it starts growing back.

Here are a few other things that have helped me a lot:
    -Rogain 5% (men's) foam, I use this after washing and don't find it to be greasy at all.
    -Nizoral Shampoo - this stops DHT directly on your scalp
    -Washing every day - I know most hair stylists recommend every other day but oil on your scalp is where Testosterone converts to DHT with the aid of the enzyme Type II 5-alpha reductase that is held in the hairs oil glands - when I keep grease off my scalp I lose very little hair in the shower. BTW, the Sprio made it so I could shower every other day because I found it really cut down my hair grease.

I have also heard that Progesterone Cream and Saw Palmetto can help for some people.

It's unfortunate that the PCOS diagnosis is so broad and it makes it hard to really discover what the underlying cause is for those with unique symptoms. I think hairloss (the extreme type that makes us self conscience) is a less common symptom. I am 5'4" and weigh 120lbs (skinny... but I still have belly fat - no bikinis for me), have never had acne or skin tags, just irregular cycle starting at age 15, slightly elevated Testosterone and DHEAS, a 3:1 LH:FSH ratio and slightly hypothyroid (TSH between 4-5).

I'm going to try to take pictures of my hair so I can show you the progress I've made so far.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to socalgirl1978 For This Useful Post:

elisaj99 (04-19-2014)

Thanks

awesome results! congrats!!

Thanks

Wow, that is just plain amazing! Your January2010 picture looks like my hair now, except mine is a little bit worse....and getting worse each day

I am only 24

I will look up Diane-35. Does walmart allow you to get it on the $4 or $9 deal? I bought Yaz yesterday, took it today and am really dehydrated and scared of potentially dangerous side effects.

I am researching the best options for hairloss with BCPs. Might the BCP alone help or do you have to take spironolactone too to get the same effect? Yaz has drospirenone in it which is related to spiro. But I am just afraid that with the dehydration, my potassium levels will get too high.

I am just so confused what I should do.

glad your story is working out though. It gives so many of us at least a glimmer of hope. Thank you.

Thanks

Also, does the spiro dehydrate you by any chance?

Thanks

Default positive story

I am 32 and have PCOS. My dermatologist was the first to diagnose me b/c of my persistent facial acne(even on my chest, arms, and back). I had my upper lip, chin, arms, and underarms lasered and that helped tremendously with the hairy problem and with some of the acne-although i had to get my lip done a zillion times and still have a couple of hairs but it is a vast improvement over what it was before. LASER it, girls! Worth every penny-get groupon and find the laser center deals.
    Anyway, the worst part of PCOS is the hair loss. Not only is my hair super thin but really grey too so I see my hairdresser every month to color it back to dark brown. She even has PCOS and understands what I'm going through. Finally, I bought the book by Dr. Redmond about PCOS and after reading it, I called and made an appointment in NYC and my husband and I went down there for the day. He was nice and upped my spiro to 200mg, metformin, yaz, and gave me a small dose of propecia. He also had me do a lot of blood work and noticed that my TSH levels were high and that I had hypothryoidism!
    Although I do not like to be on so many medicines, I can tell you that they work. I am thinner, amazing complexion, and my hair loss has dropped dramatically and I think since March it has gotten better-I know from reading others that it takes usually 1 year to see real improvement. Anyway, if you are tired of trying the herbals(god knows I tried them all) and you finally admitted the truth that they don't work for you(at least not for me) and the hair loss isn't getting better b/c I am praying it will get better and putting crap all in it, then you need to read his book or go see him. My only nervousness is that I will start trying for a baby next spring/ summer and I will have to get off some of the meds and I am afraid of the hair loss. We'll see.

Thanks

Great results! You are lucky1

Thanks

I also have excess facial and body hair. Recently I have been feeling the need to get off Birth control, but I know my symptoms would go back to how it was before, perhaps worse, from what I hear. Man, I wish I didn't have this condition! So even though the BCP and Spiro have given me great skin, and my hair seems to be returning, I still suffer from hirsutism.

anybody know anything about natural progesterone? and how to get it prescribed? Natural progesterone and spironolactone is the treatment Dr.Jerilynn Prior suggest to reverse and correct PCOS at the core of the problem. (she calls it AAE-Anovulatory Androgen excess)

http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/help_yourse...challenge_pcos

READ THIS!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Junglyy View Post
    even though the BCP and Spiro have given me great skin, and my hair seems to be returning, I still suffer from hirsutism.
    Even though your levels of free testosterone may have been reduced by the BCP and Spiro, you may well have been sensitized in fetal life to respond to testosterone in the same sort of way as most males are, so that even with reasonably normal female levels of free testosterone you may still be able to produce male-type body hair and a certain amount of beard growth. If your ring fingers are longer than your index fingers, then fetal sensitzation is almost certainly the reason. If they're not, there's probably some other reason.

Joy

Thanks

That's great news! Yay! I've been on spironolactone 100 mg 2x/day since 1996 (and it worked wonders with excess facial & acne for a while) but unfortunately once my hair began to fall out (in 2002) it never got better and today, it's very thin on top. I now have hypothyroidism so that probably played a part in the hair loss as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukleder View Post
    That's great news! Yay! I've been on spironolactone 100 mg 2x/day since 1996 (and it worked wonders with excess facial & acne for a while) but unfortunately once my hair began to fall out (in 2002) it never got better and today, it's very thin on top. I now have hypothyroidism so that probably played a part in the hair loss as well.
    Hello!

Are you overweight? and taking metformin? In other words, are you a thin syster with these problems?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Junglyy View Post
    Hello!

Are you overweight? and taking metformin? In other words, are you a thin syster with these problems?
    No, I'm not overweight. Yes, I'm a thin cyster (with the congenital pituitary dysfunction form of PCO which "activated" when I was 13 and wreaked havoc on my life) and no, I do not have IR (I'm tested yearly including the fasting test to make sure the results are accurate) and I am not on Metformin because I am not IR. For PCO, I am on Zovia (formerly Demulen) and spiro 100 mg 2x/day. For my hypothyroidism I am on 125 mcg levothyroxine/day. I also take calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B complex, and fish oil.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukleder View Post
    No, I'm not overweight. Yes, I'm a thin cyster (with the congenital pituitary dysfunction form of PCO which "activated" when I was 13 and wreaked havoc on my life) and no, I do not have IR (I'm tested yearly including the fasting test to make sure the results are accurate) and I am not on Metformin because I am not IR. For PCO, I am on Zovia (formerly Demulen) and spiro 100 mg 2x/day. For my hypothyroidism I am on 125 mcg levothyroxine/day. I also take calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B complex, and fish oil.
    So have you looked into natural progesterone? I feel as if that is my problem. In addition to hair loss, excess hair, I have anthracosis nigricans (sign of IR) and underdeveloped breasts. I have been overweight all my life, and within the last 2-3 years I lost my excess weight and am resting currently in the 150's, and I am 5'6 tall. My hormones haven't magically balanced just yet, I was hoping weight loss would resolve everything.

after doing some research I feel as if I am lacking in progesterone, it would possibly be the reason for the underdeveloped breasts as well as the IR. They say progesterone deficiency causes IR. I don't know, I suggested it to my gyn last year and she just brushed it off, and was quick to prescribe me bcp however (Cyrestra) but I want to stop it, and try bio-identical progesterone. It is going to be a bit of a challenge to get it prescribed.