Registered User Fingerscrossed78's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How does more than one egg get released while on Clomid?

Hello ladies,
    I'm on my fourth round of Clomid (first time at 100mg - last cycle, was unresponsive at 50). This is the very first time where I've had more than one follicle actually make the chart! I was in yesterday for an u/s on CD15 and had a left sided 22.5mm and a right sided 14.6mm. My initial guess was that the left one would be the one to go but then the tech said that the 14.6 one wasn't out of the running yet - she said it was a bonus egg. My question is, does anybody know how two eggs get released? What happens when you're growing two follies? Do the two need to be the same size at the time of ovulation? Do they get released at the same time?? Is there a window of time between when the first one releases that the second one has to release as well? Does the hormone surge make anything release, regardless of how big they are? Just curious to know whether twins might be a possibility this round or whether only one egg typically will be released? I appreciate your comments!
    Hidden Content
    Me 32, DH 35 - Married November 2009, 1 fur baby, TTC#1
    2000mg Met, prenatal, 4000mcg of Folic Acid, Vitamins D, 3-6-9
    10 months with our fertility clinic, 6 round of Clomid, 1 Chemical pregnancy - BFP 11dpo with 150mg!!
    Beta #1 (11dpo): 19, P4: 129+. Beta #2 (13dpo): 84, P4: 129+. Beta #3 (20dpo): 2053, P4: 129+. U/S at 7w, 5d showed the most beautiful flickering heart beating at 158bpm! EDD: May 16, 2012

Thanks

I wish I could answer all your questions, but I don't know the answers. All I can tell you is that my doctor told me there's an increased chance of twins on clomid.
    ~~~~

Jenny (40)
    and James (44)
    ttc since January, 2011

Proud parents to Seamus Finnegan, born June 21st, 2013. Hidden Content
    Expecting our second little miracle, Archer James, in October, 2014.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerscrossed78 View Post
    Hello ladies,
    My question is, does anybody know how two eggs get released? What happens when you're growing two follies? Do the two need to be the same size at the time of ovulation? Do they get released at the same time?? Is there a window of time between when the first one releases that the second one has to release as well? Does the hormone surge make anything release, regardless of how big they are? Just curious to know whether twins might be a possibility this round or whether only one egg typically will be released? I appreciate your comments!
    I'm not in the medical profession, but, here's my take. Usually what happens is one egg will mature and rupture, which sends a signal to any other maturing follicles to stop developing, these become cysts that get re-absorbed during your cycle. When you are on Clomid tho, you may have a higher than average number of follicles that get to the "I'm mature, ready to rupture/release an egg" stage all at about the same time, which puts you at a higher risk of more than one rupturing within the same 12-24hr time frame after a trigger shot or with your LH surge, but before the egg suppresses other follies from rupturing. The Amer. Pregnancy Assoc has this:

A woman cannot ovulate more than once during each cycle, therefore she cannot get pregnant more than once during a cycle. Multiple ovulation can occur and is when two or more eggs are released in a single cycle. Both eggs are released during one 24 hour period and are responsible for the birth of fraternal twins. It is believed that this may occur in as many as 5-10% of all cycles but does not result in that many twins due to a type of miscarriage referred to as the “vanishing twin phenomenon.”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarleyGirl93 For This Useful Post:

Lmc8286 (05-02-2014)

Thanks

And I don't think they have to be the same size, they just both have to be mature. And they have to rupture within the same 24hr of the first follie rupturing.

Thanks

I agree with Harley.

The closer they are in size the more likely both will go. While twins are increased with clomid it is only because it produces more follicles, and if close in maturity can mean more eggs. I believe it makes it a 5% chance of multiples.

However, if you add a trigger, the trigger would release all mature eggs (I think a lot of docs count follices 15 or larger as mature for triggering).

GL on this cycle!
    Me-24 DH-26 Hidden Content Married August 2008
    DD-4/12/2009 (Naturally)
    Diagnosed- 3/16/11, symptoms since puberty.
    DS- 4/5/2012 Benjamin Ananias was born in water at 11:12am weighing 8lbs 4oz and 20.5 inches long.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,300 Posts

I had heard there was a 10% chance of twins with clomid, though I have nothing to back that up. I think it is possible to release 2 eggs but not have both of them get fertilized, but it still doubles your chances of having at least one!

Thanks

Thanks ladies! Everything you've said makes complete sense... I was just having such a hard time wrapping my head around how/if I might possibly release two eggs... here's hoping at least one takes!
    Hidden Content
    10 months with our fertility clinic, 6 round of Clomid, 1 Chemical pregnancy - BFP 11dpo with 150mg!!
    Beta #1 (11dpo): 19, P4: 129+. Beta #2 (13dpo): 84, P4: 129+. Beta #3 (20dpo): 2053, P4: 129+. U/S at 7w, 5d showed the most beautiful flickering heart beating at 158bpm! EDD: May 16, 2012

Such stuff as dreams... Katie_Lucey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,272 Posts

My question is, does anybody know how two eggs get released?
    If both eggs mature at the time of the LH surge then both could be released. If you are using a trigger of HCG to FORCE ovulation then most likely all mature eggs will release. If you are ovulating on your own without trigger then even with more then one mature there's no way to know how many will actually release.

What happens when you're growing two follies? Do the two need to be the same size at the time of ovulation?
    Two mature follicles may not both contain eggs for one- so a mature follicle does not always equal ovulation. They do not need to be the exact same size to release an egg if they have one. Follicles are usually considered mature around 16mm but it varies from doc to doc.

Do they get released at the same time?? Is there a window of time between when the first one releases that the second one has to release as well?
    Most of the time but not always. Usually if you ovulate more then one follicles at more then one time in the month they will be within 24 hours of each other. Usually the window is not greater then 24 hours for multiple ovulation in the same cycle. Sometimes all mature follicles with eggs release together and sometimes they don't. If you trigger again there is a higher chance they will all release. I had 3 (maybe 4) mature follicles the month I got pregnant and definitely ovulated over a two day period. Some of them went on Thursday evening and others on Friday afternoon.

Does the hormone surge make anything release, regardless of how big they are?
    No. If you are not using a trigger (HCG shot) to force ovulation of all mature follicles then they may not all release with your own LH surge. When your LH surges it will attempt to ovulate follicles with mature eggs but there is really to way to know which follicles have mature eggs and how many of those will release. With an HCG trigger usually all mature follicles will release- if it is your own LH surge it's trying for one and sometimes will get more then one if it's ready to go but it's not guaranteed.

Just curious to know whether twins might be a possibility this round or whether only one egg typically will be released?
    It all depends on when you ovulate. Are you using an HCG trigger to force ovulation and if so when? If you are not are you using OPKs or temping to track ovulation? If that bigger follicle is ready to go, has an egg, and ovulates on it's own then that's probably all that will happen if you do it naturally. There is a big difference in size and without forced ovulation you will probably only release the larger, mature follicle as long as there is an egg in there. The other thing to consider is cysts. Cysts look just like follicles on u/s. So in theory that one thats around 20mm could be a large cyst and the 14mm could be your dominant follicle so your body may wait on that one to mature because it knows that's the follicle with the egg that needs to ovulate. It's hard to tell what's what. If you have multiple u/s usually you can see some kind of growth pattern to know there are mature follicles in there and they are growing but it's hard to know what's a cyst and what actually has good eggs to release. Tracking your temps and using OPKs is a great way to know what your body is doing and when if you are not triggering with and HCG trigger- EVEN THEN it's good to monitor with temps to make sure you are ovulating. I myself have been through trigger cycles and NOT ovulated becuase I had cyts and not follicles and I know other ladies on the board who did not ovulate with a trigger so they are not fool proof.

So to answer this last question about twins- there's really no way to know for sure if you are going to release more then one egg, but if you do then there is always a chance. I released 3 maybe 4 (and my p4 confirmed at least 3) eggs and only one stuck so you just never know what's actually going to work and what's not.
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    M/C: 02/01*10/10*03/12*04/12
    August 2011- Connor was born
    February 2013- Jackson was born
    We are overwhelmingly blessed!
    Hidden Content

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katie_Lucey For This Useful Post:

Fingerscrossed78 (06-23-2011),StaceyA (06-22-2011)

Thanks

I released 3 eggs on clomid. It was crazy because I wasn't even thinking it would work! GL that sounds wonderful.
    DH (30) Hidden Content Me (25) Married since: 12/17/2009
    TTC: 11/2008 thin cyster
    2/18-2/22 Clomid 50 mg 5-9 +OPK CD 15 (2/28) p4: 78 BFP!! (3/11)
    Beta 14dpo: 279!! ~ OMG this is real!!! 16dpo: 624 Hidden Content
    first ultrasound 4/4! TWINS!!! BOY/GIRL

10/10/11 @ 34 wks 10:17 and 10:18am my miracles were born

Thanks

Katie_Lucey, you are always such a wealth of information! Thank you so much for your detailed explanation - makes such sense!

Still waiting to confirm O... I have another u/s and b/w on cd24... They usually look for the corpus luteum. My guess would be that if I ovulated two, then there would be two of them... guess I will have to wait until Wednesday to find out more.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Good luck! Even with only one egg released, identical twins are always a possibility!
    Me -Stacy 33, DH- Aaron 35
    Married 6/12/1999

Bella Lorraine and Norah Elise arrived on May 19, 2009 weighing 7 lb 1 oz, 20 inches and 5 lb 7oz, 18.5 inches

Watch us grow at Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks Shufnagel.... I know there are increased risks with multiples and I know that's not really the goal but I was curious as to whether or not it was possible to ovulate both eggs this round... all you need is one egg and you're right, even that could result in twins!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Cd 24 u/s today and there were 2 corpus luteum(s) (corpus luteiai? whatever the plural form is!)... the tech explained though that even IF two eggs were released, there's no way of knowing whether the smaller one was big enough to release an egg mature enough to have fertilized. We see the doctor one week from today for a follow-up... I guess by then I'll either get sent for Betas or AF will have shown up and we'll be starting round #5 of Clomid ...here's hoping for a BFP!!!
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,300 Posts

FX and baby dust!
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Default Hello

Quote Originally Posted by amander2 View Post
    I released 3 eggs on clomid. It was crazy because I wasn't even thinking it would work! GL that sounds wonderful.
    I've been trying to conceive for a while. But we recently started on the treatments. I'm currently on my second cycle. and I was reading the forum, and found that you did get pregnant with twins. Can you please tell me what problems you had conceiving. Thanks, I really appreciate your info.