Thanks

Default metformin and weight loss

I started Metformin about 3 weeks ago. I've lost 6lbs in the last two weeks which is great. I was wondering if the weight loss will slow down or stop. I currently weigh 135 (I'm 5'6") and only want to lose about 10 more pounds. Has anyone have experience?

Thanks

Default how much?

How much Met are you on? I'm on 1000mg a day and it hasn't done a thing! I gained 50lbs. in 7 months when I first got PCOS, and none of it has come off no matter how little I eat. Would love to up my Met dose and lose some weight!
    Me: 31 & DH: 36 (ttc 12/2012)

PCOS since: 09/06, Dx'd via labwork/ultrasound: 05/07- Slightly High Testosterone, Bad IR, Adrenal fatigue, Syndrome X, Anxiety & Depression

Things I'm doing now:
    Metformin 500mg, BCP, Blood pressure med, Anti-D
    Astaxanthin 8mg, Inositol & Choline 1500mg (for PCOS & Anxiety), Magnesium 400mg
    Exercising, Charting

Thanks

I started 500 my first week, 1,000 the next and on the 3rd week 1,500. So I guess when I started 1,000 that I really started to lose. I know you said even when you eat very little you still don't lose weight I guess I am wondering how you eat. It helps to have small meals throughout the day not eating will put your body into starvation mode and store all the food it does get as fat. I am sticking to the diet (mostly) which I think is a big part of it. Good luck I hope you can figure it out.

Thanks

I have been on met for about 2 months. I started at 1000 and am now up to 1500. I have lost 15 pounds so far, but have gained 5 back.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was on 1000mg and lost only 4 lbs in 2.5 months. I went on 2,000mg and I have lost 3 lbs already since Tuesday. I do think that you can cap out at certain levels of Met. Good luck
    Me 35 DH 40
    Married since October 19, 1999
    Metformin 1000mg ER, prenatal vitamin and Cabergoline
    October 14th BFP x3
    October 18th U/S Yolk Sac Hidden Content
    November 6th HB 157 BPM, baby is due June 20, 2013
    January 7th, HB 151 BPM and it's a boy! Christopher Edward Rouse
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I just started Metformin and i am hoping that it helps.GOOD LUCK!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Hi

I started with 1500 mg since Feb 2011 and am now at 2200 mg, for Insulin Resistance and have lost around 11 kgs (~24 pounds) since Feb 2011. In addition, I take care of my diet (no sugar, lower whole carbs and exercise)...I am sure it will help you too!

Thanks

It took me a year to lose 40 lbs so far I have lost another 6 lbs in the last two weeks I am on 1500mgs. It does take changing diet and exercising more. I hope it begins working for you soon. Good luck..
    Hidden Content me hide i'm not hiding who' afraid of the big bad pcos not me Hidden Content

BFP: 2/27/2011 Hidden Content

M/C'd at 8 wks: 3/10/2011Hidden Content

Thanks

hey ladies i've been on 500mg met for about 2 weeks and lost 6 lbs with exercise and changed some of my eating habbits i want to lose a total of 30=40 lbs b/c ttc so wish me luck

Thanks

I've been on metformin for two months going on month #3 and I've only lost 4 pounds. I'm taking 1000mg a day 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. But I take it after I eat about 5-10 minutes after. If I take it during my meal or before it I'm spending my whole day in the bathroom. I've been making some changes to my diet but nothing major because the first month I was on it the side effects were very bad and my hair was falling out. Which I believe was due to poor nutrition as everything I ate went threw me as fast as it went in me. Even though I've had that problem with it I have had my period twice since I've been on it so even though the first month sucked it still helped me out. Woud a higher dose maybe help with the weight loss? Like taking 1500 mg adding a extra pill after my lunch?

Thanks

A higher does might help but I would still rely on healthy food choices and working out to see weightloss results.

Thanks

I have just been given Metformin due to a high blood sugar level, however I do have PCOS. I am starting on 500mg once a day. How long on average is it until the side effects subside and how long did it take for everyone to notice some sort of weight loss?

Thanks

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was only 16. I am now 20. My doctor noticed that I had high blood pressure and I also never got a regular period all throughout my adolescence. I've never been a skinny girl, but I am not overweight about 5'10 and 170 pounds. I also don't have all the side effects of PCOS, my testosterone levels are normal, but I do have cysts on my ovaries. I went on metformin when i was 18 and lost about 20 pounds my senior year of high school. When I got to college, I simply stopped taking it, not really knowing, understanding, or caring the serious effects of PCOS and metformin. I have recently started taking the regular met again and have been experiencing things such as diarrhea,dizzyness, and slight chest pain. Is this normal? I take 2000mg a day before bed, but I never experienced side effects before. I am pretty young and PCOS is something that scares me. I want to have children one day more than anything and the thought of not being able to terrifies me. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it thanks.

Thanks

With being on Met, have you also changed your diet to help lose the weight, or do the meds themselves help you drop it?
    JoAnna (31) DX April 2000
    **Wife to Jason (39), Mom to Maurice (22) and Eric (15 months)**

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,328 Posts

If you started taking that much all at once without working up to that dose, especially with the regular release, NO WONDER you are having side effects! Ask your doc about switching to ER and cut the dose back to one pill a day for at least a week or 2, then slowly work up to the full dose.
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content