Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "MY" PCOS story

Thanks

After having been diagnosed with PCOS, I had always felt a little sad and frustrated. So it's nice to know that there are other people out there too.

Thanks

So glad to have stumbled upon this site. I'm 26 and I've felt so alone for so many yrs. It's nice to know that I'm not alone after all. Although I've been told twice by 2 different doctors that I do not have PCOS, I'm certain that I do suffer from it. My ovulation is outta wack & I grow hair (especially on my face), like nobodies business. I'm new here & I can only say thanks that I've found some place where I can be & talk about experiences that others are going through as well.

Thanks

Hello Ladies,
    I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 and haven't thought a thing of it until a year ago when my hubbs and myself started trying to conceive. Now at 24, this is getting so frustrating and it's only been a year! I don't know how you guys have the strength to do this for ten years or more...I am so happy to have found this site so I can lean on the only women who know what this is like. Where can I find success or inspirational stories on this site? I would rather read those than wallow in this crap! Ugh.

You'se a big fine woman pennylane1979's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't give up hope! There are plenty of exercises you can do that don't require strenuous activity like yoga and floor exercises! Also, keeping up a low carb diet and the metformin as well. Lots of water. Don't give up on yourself! PCOS dx absolutely does NOT mean you won't ever have children. It just means that it might be a little more work, but you will appreciate your children so much more when you have them, bc you wanted them SOOO much. I now have 4 children, and I have pcos! Don't give up!
    Me(30) DH(31) 5/02 (tgthr since 9/00)
    DS1 Natural 8/03 (before pcos symptom called no AF & before DX)
    5mg femara/1500 metformin/ prog DD1 4/07
    while ttc#3:
    3-5mg femara/ 2-100mg clomid
    2 chemical pgs m/c
    IVF twins: 1/09 DD2 & DS2
    Happy Family of 6 as of August 2009

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am 30. I found out that I had PCOS right after I got married to the love of my life. I was 26 then. We were told that if we wanted to have kids that we needed to start trying immediately. We went off birth control right away and started infertility treatments. After dieting, exercising and 3 years of infertility treatments we are still not pregnant. I have recently research more about PCOS and I am now trying to make life changes so that I can one day be a parent. It has been a long hard road and I hope that we can become a parents soon. So I joined here to get extra support because I'm emotionally and psychically tried off going through all of this.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I know what you mean. After trying for a year we under went strong infertility treatments and man was it frustrating. Hang in there. I am in the same boat you are. I am now realizing what my body needs to be healthy to have a baby. I have lost 18 lbs in 2 months. I am now on my third month. So you can do it! I hope by the end of the year that we are parents.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I know I am so glad to have found this site! We can all help each other through this. I just with that insurances would treat PCOS like cancer because it's frustrating with all the money we pay to have a baby.

Thanks

Im new to this site and to PCOS. Im 19 and dont really know where to really go or do about my PCOS.

Thanks

Welcome to SC Army Wife. Do you have anything specific you want to know or are you looking for general information on PCOS and treatment? If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The ladies here are great.
    Married since 2005.
    Miscarriage 2005, DD born 2006, miscarriage 2007, no pregnancies since. TTC #2 since June 2007.
    Diagnosed PCOS 2010.
    Current Supplements: B12, B6, D3, Multivitamin, Folic Acid, Fish Oil, Aspirin, Femaprin, EPO, Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
    PCOS Meds: Metformin, Provera

Thanks

I am new to the site, but not to PCOS. I was diagnoses back in 2005 at the age of 29 . I got my period when I was 11 and was normal all through high school. Got married at 19, got pregnant with no problems and had my son when I was 20. From that point forward my periods were never regular again. I divorced at 25. I've been without insurance a lot, so I haven't seen a doctor as often I as I have needed to. I met a great man in 2002, got married to him in 2006.

When I was diagnosed in 2005 I had an ultrasound which showed the classic cysts on the ovaries. My labs showed Insulin resistance and high cholesterol. I have dark facial and body hair that I have to shave daily. The doctor wanted to put me on BCP at that time, but I also have severe migraines, so that was not an option for me. They also mentioned the Mirena IUD, but I wasn’t very comfortable with that. I did take Metformin for a while, but went off that after about a year.

From 2005-2011 all my symptoms stayed relatively the same. I had 3-4 periods a year, naturally. I was overweight, but stable. I did not gain any more. Looking back, I did become more and more depressed, and withdrawn. How my husband has put up with me I do not know. In the last year much of that has changed. My periods have become no-stop. I have been bleeding since November 2011 some days so heavy I can’t leave the house, other just spotting, but still non-stop. My migraines are also out of control; possibly due to the hormones. I am having 3-4 a week.

I don’t know what has caused the changes. I had a ultrasound on the 10 of April which showed my normal ovarian cysts. The ultrasound tech pointed out a fibroid, but the doctor didn’t mention that. He had me come in for an endometrial biopsy on April 27 due to a thick lining. Which seemed odd since I have been bleeding for so long. Now I am just waiting for results to that.

So that’s my story. I’m so happy to have found a place like this where there are others like me who can understand what I am going through.

Thanks

Have you tried the Paleo Diet? I truly feel for you. I have been thru the same. I am 44 and I never had a child. I just figured thats the way it was. Im starting it tommorow I did it earllier and lost 30lbs in three months. I have a long way to go. Just take it one day at a time. If its meant to be it will happen don't compare urself to others we are all different. Just relax, I know easier said than done, Breath, live life maybe when ur not stressed it will happen? Did u do clomid? Love and Light to you?

Thanks

Hi...new to the site so I figured I'd share my story. I am 25 and was just diagnosed with PCOS in March 2012. I had a similar diagnosis when I was 15 (insulin and thyroid problems) but never really diagnosed or was as severe as now. After I stopped the birth control (Aug 2011 DH and I decided it was time to let nature take its course and see if we'd get pregnant) Well, I didn't get my period till Nov. 2011, it was very irregular and then in Jan. it came and didn't leave for 3 months!!!!!! Hence the NEW diagnosis and medication. Thank god after 4 days on Metaformin AF left and I didn't need a D&C............so now I have been on Metaformin and Synthroid for a month.....and a couple days on birth control. The Dr. want the meds to work for 3 months without worrying about pregnancy. The stomach issues from Metaformin are driving me crazy so in my google search I found this site and was hoping to find some support. Thanks for reading my craziness!!!!!!!!

Thanks

So far, I have not been officially diagnosed, but have been told by a couple nurse practioners that it is very likely. When I was 14, I got my first period. I went 1.5 years before getting my second. When I was 15, I began noticing small amounts of facial hair and had gained some weight while going through puberty. My periods were usually 2-4 months apart after my first couple, up until shortly after high school graduation then they became more far between now I,m going on about a year without one. Once I graduated I quickly gained about 80 pounds without any change in diet or exxersize and my facial hair started getting darker and more wide spread. I managed to lose about 20 pounds because I hardly ate I was so depressed. Now no matter what I do I can't lose weight, my fAcial hair is worse then ever, and now have hair on chest, back, toes. I have dark patches on my neck, underarms, groin area, and have acne along jawline and shoulders and upper back. I finally got to the dr today after years of no insurance and met with a mainly dr. She did a pap smear and ordered a bunch of blood work and a pelvic ltrasound to be done on Monday. I'm nervous as can be but excited to finally start journey of taking care of these issues and get to the bottom of things.

Thanks

I am so glad there are women out there that are just like me! Having PCOS is not fun as you all know. I was diagnosed in 2007 and now i am 25 years old with SEVERE PCOS. I have every symptom imaginable. Obesity, hersuitism (extra hair in places a woman shouldn't have), screwed up hormones, STRING OF PEARLS (which is literally a string of cysts going around both ovaries), infertility, and an arcuate shaped uterus (which basically means that miscarriages are likely because uterus should be straight rather than arcuate). Me and hubby have been together for 9 1/2 years, married for 1 year as of April 18th. We are both IN love with each other no matter what and have always supported each other. I was on Ocella BC (yasmin) for about 5 years and stopped taking it. I have gained 60 pounds in our 9 years together and it disgusts me. For once i stopped taking bc we decided to wing it, and figured if i got prego it would be a blessing. WELL GUESS WHAT? For these past 4 years we have had unprotected sex 4-5 times a week and absolutely NO pregnancy. Obviously the pcos is causing the infertility. So now as i sit back and think about life, my marriage, my horrible symptoms, one can only imagine how fustrating that it. The bc did prevent SOME of the SX like breakouts, periods being more predictable and lighter, as well as keeping facial hair from getting out of control. It wasn't worth gaining 60 pounds. I look in the mirror now with all this extra weight (which i am thankfully proportioned in all the right areas) and say to myself "why me". I was a dancer for 16 years tap, ballet, jazz, hip hop, and even wanted to be a radio city rockette one day. Well im past that now. 4 years off bc, havent had a period in 8 months, have seen over 3 different dr.'s for opinions, laparoscopic surgeries, and still no REAL cure for this disease. It DOESN'T even run in my family. They all have had children with no problems. So 4 years of being off of birth control, my facial hair has gotten worse, forehead getting bigger from the thinning of that part of my hair (thankfully i have extremely thick curly hair, nobody really notices but me), starting to get hair around my belly, lower back, and still not pregnant. Me and my husband came to the conclusion that we don't want kids, being that we love to travel, and right now is just not the time for it. Call is selfish if you want but we both have great careers that we love. I am a Nurse in a gynecological specialty practice, rated best gynecologist in Scottsdale, AZ. She suggested vaniqa, which is actually a great product, but insurance doesn't cover it, and for $100 a month id rather get my face waxed for $45. She also suggested getting the Mirena IUD because it does help with shedding uterine lining after insertion, and is overall a great idea if you don't want kids, and hate taking pills like i do. So of course i went online after she told me that and looked up all the NEGATIVE and POSITIVE reviews. The horror stories are scary. I have read some great positive stories though too. Well i trust my GYNO as my DR. and employer fully. I decided to get the MIRENA today May 4th, 2012. Fortunately i was able to get a cervical block (numbing of the cervical area with lidocaine) because she spoils me, and i took 800 mg ibproferen 1 hour prior to procedure. I have NEVER had children so my cervix was not dilating as quickly as it should of. She had to keep trying to dilate me until i was ready which took about 10 minutes maybe which was the absolute worst part of the procedure. Honestly, all you have to do is ask your Dr. to numb you before you get dilated. It honestly felt like any other pap, just a little more cramping. When she was done, she clipped the strings and sent me home for the day with valium for my muscle spasm cramps, and anxiety i might get for the rest of the day. I am sitting home feeling like i have period cramps that come and go. The light bleeding stopped and i feel pretty good about my decision of getting the Mirena. I heard about the weight gain, acne, and moodswings, but i feel like honestly if you take care of your skin, dont overeat, and try to stabilize yourself you can definetely benefit from this. It is only my first day so i will keep my SOULCYSTERS posted hehehehehe the best part about this is we get to have sex the next day and it is fully protected. People that don't have PCOS do not understand the depressing and fustrating problems us SOULCYSTERS HAVE. Keep up the positivity ladies and remember, everything happens for a reason....

Thanks

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've had PCOS problems since I was 12 y/o and actually at 11 when I first felt the pain, but we ignored it thinking it was natural menstruation starting, and nobody knew how to help me until a few years ago. I had a left opphorectomy at 12 years of age, due to a very large ovarian cyst that had torqued my ovary. After removal I was placed on years of birth control until I voluntarily stopped them around 22/23 y/o. My first time having unprotected intercourse at 27 y/o I conceived (oddly enough). AFter giving birth to my DD, my PCOS symptoms quadrupled and spiraled out of control. I had begun living a more natural lifestyle, so refused birth control. However, still at that time NOT one doctor ever dx'd me with PCOS or even tried to help the complaints of hair falling out, severe acne, constant cysts on my remaining ovary, weight gain, tender breasts with excessive lumps, etc. FInally a dermatologist at 32 y/o mentioned excess androgens and I started to research this. He wanted me on spiro and I refused, being natural. I ate a GFCF diet, but it was loaded with carbs still. It wasn't until I was double over in pain at the end of 2010 and they did a CT and then U/S to find numerous "follicles" that were growing and evidence of some rupturing that I got a dx. I immediately changed my diet and exercise habits, lost 50 pounds (since gained 5 back), and added some general health supplements that the cysts stopped. However, my hair is still falling out with handfuls, I have an insatiable libido (can't complain too much though), and my acne is still bothersome. I did find that P5P (bioactive form of B6) has helped with the physical symptoms of edema, fatigue, wound healing, etc. I recently started inositol, which I have noticed helped my breasts and cyst on my ovary in just one cycle a tad. However, I've had no luck with excess androgens. As such, my search continues here. I've been a lurker for a few years on these boards, but have decided to join in now for more support.