Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Did metformin make you hungrier / tired?

Hi guys, I was put on a low dose of metformin by a general doctor. I think he put me on 50 mg or 500mg (LMAO, i forgot, but there is a huge difference). I had lost about 6 pounds, then regained the weight. Afterwards, the doctor put me on metformin.

I found that it didn't help in weight loss. It may have been due to me working out less, and relying more on the drug. I think I actually lost more weight on pristiq, an antidepressant.

I found that metformin made me feel tired and increased my appetite. I ended up gaining a couple pounds more.

I'm no longer on pristiq or metformin. But my weight hasn't changed much. It is back to square 1.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was fine when I was on 1000mg of Metformin. Now that I'm on 2000 I am tired alot and sleep longer. I more prone to taking naps too. My food abraisions have changed thou. I'm hardly hungry. I started snacking when I was on 1000mg but now that I'm on 2000 most of the time I'm not into even having a meal but I force myself anyway. For example I just woke up about 15 minutes ago and I need to eat my first meal of the day to take my met but I'm not hungry and nothing sounds good. Hopefully that will subside in the future. Good luck
    Me 35 DH 40
    Married since October 19, 1999
    Metformin 1000mg ER, prenatal vitamin and Cabergoline
    October 14th BFP x3
    October 18th U/S Yolk Sac Hidden Content
    November 6th HB 157 BPM, baby is due June 20, 2013
    January 7th, HB 151 BPM and it's a boy! Christopher Edward Rouse
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Registered User Stronger then PCOS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't so much feel hungrier but I feel asthough if I don't eat on it throughout the day I feel a little sick. Even after I have taken it with food I have to eat all day properly. I did feel a little tired about the first 3 days but all my side effects have worn off. I have only been on it for about a week and a half!
    "Like success, failure is many things to many people. With Positive Mental Attitude, failure is a learning experience, a rung on the ladder, a plateau at which to get your thoughts in order and prepare to try again."

I am stronger then PCOS
    Diagnosed June 27th 2011
    1000 mg Metformin
    Hidden Content Please be my miracle drug

Thanks

I was so tired at first and again each time I've increased the dosage... also dealt with a MAJOR headache each time too. I'm up to 1500 mg daily and am supposed to move up to 2000 but am putting that off because the side effects take 1-2 weeks to wear off and I don't want to go through it again just yet. As for eating/weight loss/gain etc., I haven't lost any weight (been on met for 5-6 weeks) and feel like I snack more throughout the day to avoid feeling sick. I think I've actually gained a couple pounds but attribute that to not being as strict with my diet.

Thanks

This is only my 3rd week on it, and I increased my dose last week from 500 to 1000 a day.. but so far I have been super tired and also feel pretty sick to my stomach anytime I am starting to get hungry. (not too unlike how I felt when I was pregnant in the past). The problem is, NOTHING sounds good to eat when I am hungry... except for carbs.... which I am trying to limit in hopes to help my body start ovulating. I really really want to be able to tolerate this med though because I am hoping to stay on it if I am able to get pregnant again to hopefully prevent another miscarriage. But I feel like I keep waiting for the side effects to go away and they are sort of getting worse. I go back to my dr. in two weeks and am going to try to stay on it. Thing is, I am supposed to increase my dose again in a week. I'm not sure what has happened with my weight because I don't have scale, but I think I may have dropped just a little bit so far.

Thanks

I have been on 2000mg of Met for close to 3 months, at first I was tired and felt that I was snacking a lot. After about 2-3 weeks I did gain most of my energy back and started loosing weight (17 pounds in 3 months)

Thanks

I am definitely hungrier on Metformin...which is odd b/c most people feel the opposite. I also feel sicker...so it's hard to find things to eat...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CaraMia825 For This Useful Post:

kemsley (08-22-2013)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i know i am going to be put back on metformin here soon and it helped me a lot, at least the heavier i was. i know i gained around 10lbs back while being on lo seasonique for 5 weeks and i feel more lethargic, skin darkening, weight gain. i feel like with any type of medication it's touch and go because of how your body reacts. i know it helped me be more active and did help increase my metabolism and finally when i reached around 220lbs, 500mg counteracted everything and made things worse so i stopped taking it. i know i need it again but hopefully not for long. i know everything varies for everyone.

Registered User DecemberBride01's Avatar
    Thanks

500 is rather low to stay at? I would think it would be useless at 500???

Thanks

I take 2000 mg a day and I find that it makes me fell A LOT more tired. I also don't have much of an appetite. I've been taking it since May and I have lost 10lbs with no changes in diet or exercise.

Thanks

Not hungrier but definitely TIRED! Fortunately, it went away after about 2-3 weeks but I was completely exhausted. But, when you fill the prescription and they give you the pamphlet of information and side effects, exhaustion is listed so it wasn't too surprising. But it was so bad I'd literally sleep 14 hours a day. I basically woke up, went to work, came home, went right back to sleep. And even the 10 hours a day I was awake, I could still fall asleep at the drop of a hat. It was unreal; never experienced that kind of fatigue before.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Another side effect of met I didn't know about. Explains why I've been sleeping twelve hours a day and still taking a nap! Lol

Thanks

I've been on 2000mg for about a month now, and I have the opposite problem. I am never hungry. My appetite is completely gone, and I also have smell aversions. I have to force feed myself pretty much everyday, because if I don't, I have dizzy spells. But I can relate to being tired. I sleep about 9-10 hours at night, which is insane to me, as I can go off of 6-7 hours. I'm hoping that in a few more weeks my body can sync itself with the metformin. Hope that it's getting a lil easier for you!

Thanks

Nothing tastes good to me anymore. I never was much of a sweets eater but now I crave sweets. I heard that can happen while your body is adjusting but I've been on it a year and still crave them. I just started losing weight in March but I think that is because I added vitamin d to the met. I think it will get better for you if you stick to it and get the correct dosage. Most people don't just lose weight on it. It just helps control your insulin and that can be beneficial when you work at losing weight.
    Sarah, Mommy to surprise baby Reagan 5/20/09Hidden Content and wife to my wonderful Michael Hidden Content
    Diagnosed PCOS 6/25/2010
    2500mg Met...it worked. I'v stopped gaining weight...lost a few pounds and I'm regular for the first time in my life!

Taking a break from ttc #2

Hidden Content

Thanks

When I first started Metforming, my appetite decreased but then my dosage was increased to 850 mg and in these past few weeks, I've noticed an increase in my hunger. Not sure if it's related though.