Thanks

Default One Follicle and IUI?

I went in for my day 11 scan and have one follicle 18mm and have IUI scheduled. This is my 3rd IUI and my first on Gonal-F (300mg of 75 every other day). Now I know that was too low of a dose.

Has anyone cancelled their IUI because there was only one follie and done a natural cycle?

DH has 100million SA of super sperm so IUI doesn't necessarily "help" for male factor.

Should I just do the IUI anyway? I know it only takes one to make a baby...I'm just a little worried the success rate is too low to justify the IUI.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Thanks

KDN2011 that's a really interesting question. I'm sorry i don't have an answer for you but would be really interested to hear other responses...
    Me & DH both 30
    BFP Cycle 75iu Gonal-F + Ovidrel + TI - BFP 11th August 2011 Hidden Content
    3 follies -17.5mm, 16.2mm & 15.4mm and lining 11.9mm trigger 2 days later P4 level 36 @ 5dpo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I would say that from what I read around here, they usually cancel if there are TOO many.. but one good mature follie would be okay.., I havent been through an inject cycle myself so dont quote me. You are not alone... for the first time yesterday, my cd 11 u/s (on femara and royal jelly) revealed only one mature follie for me. I really had to swallow my pride and realize that all it takes is ONE good one, not two or three (I used to get two or three in the past). I wish you well.. keep us updated on the decision you and your doc make. But that is a pretty mature follie so I think you should trigger today or tomorrow (per what your RE says) and proceed with the IUI

if the doc DOES say to cancel, since you dont have male factor, I would def use OPKs and BD at home with some preseed and instead cups. definitely dont let this cycle go to waste
    Mama Bear (29)& Papa Bear (31)
    Married 2.14.09

TTC since 7/5/09 (PCOS and Low Morph)

DD born 3-29-12 (our femara miracle)Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Such stuff as dreams... Katie_Lucey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,878 Times in 2,216 Posts

My doctor was a big advocate not to do IUI unless there was Male Factor IF involved. He flat out told us to save our money since my husband's count was great. He had done studies over the years at Duke and found that IUI did not increase the chances of conception when there were no male factor issues. Personally if you have no issues I would say save your money and don't do the IUIs at all.

As far as the one follicle I know it's hard when you are doing injects because there is a hope for more growth but all fertilty meds are there to get us back on track with "normal" women and 95% of them only produce one good follicle in any given cycle. So while it may seem frustrating to only have one- having one is actually normal and how most 'healthy' women get pregnant. You have as good a chance as any this month to get pregnant on that one healthy follicle. I think you should continue on with TI and see what happens. Good luck this month!
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    M/C: 02/01*10/10*03/12*04/12
    August 2011- Connor was born
    February 2013- Jackson was born
    We are overwhelmingly blessed!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I sent the doc an email asking her what she thought so I'll keep you guys posted.

Virtuous - I am supposed to trigger this evening and will either way. From what I've read, the success rate of IUI is marginally better with one follicle than just TI with one follicle.

Katie - I totally agree and would have skipped right to IVF but it's complicated(like always) I have had 1 m/c and 5 chemical pregnancies (positive HPT's and then go on to start my period) so I know I CAN get pregnant both naturally and with IUI. We did 32 months natural, 7 months on clomid (including 2 clomid iui), and now 1 gonal-f. So right now...I am just hoping my egg quality is good and we don't "miss" the month to increase success rate even if it's just slightly with IUI. As for IVF, I know the chances are good, but nothing guarantees that my eggs are good enough quality. Also, next month if this cycle doesn't work I am getting a Laparoscopy to check for endo which might be effecting implantation and causing the chemical pregnancies. After that we are definitely doing IVF. I had (have?) PCOS but all of my cysts have gone away completely due to diet and exercise and I am a Thin Cyster in healthy BMI...and only 27...so the docs really can't figure me out other than "it just takes time". So frustrating!
    Me: 27/ DH: 31
    7 miscarriages, Thin PCOS-no cysts for 1 yr.; Mild Endo removed; HSG,
    Hysteroscopy,Karyotype,Autoimmune, Thrombophilias -all Normal
    Natural BFP-#1 M/C / Natural BFP- #2 chemical preg.
    Clomid(50) 4 cycles- -BFP-#3 chemical preg / Clomid(100) cycle BFP - #4 chemical preg
    1st IUI +Clomid(100) cycle BFP-#5 chemical preg
    2nd IUI +Clomid(100) cycle -BFP-#6 chemical preg
    Gonal F cycle Timed Intercourse-BFP- #7 chemical preg
    1st IVF +Gonal-F BFN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KDN2011 View Post
    I sent the doc an email asking her what she thought so I'll keep you guys posted.

Virtuous - I am supposed to trigger this evening and will either way. From what I've read, the success rate of IUI is marginally better with one follicle than just TI with one follicle.

!

this definitely gives me some hope. and keep us posted on what the doc says by email. I wish you much success either way
    Mama Bear (29)& Papa Bear (31)
    Married 2.14.09

TTC since 7/5/09 (PCOS and Low Morph)

DD born 3-29-12 (our femara miracle)Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Such stuff as dreams... Katie_Lucey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,878 Times in 2,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KDN2011 View Post
    Katie - I totally agree and would have skipped right to IVF but it's complicated(like always) I have had 1 m/c and 5 chemical pregnancies (positive HPT's and then go on to start my period) so I know I CAN get pregnant both naturally and with IUI. We did 32 months natural, 7 months on clomid (including 2 clomid iui), and now 1 gonal-f. So right now...I am just hoping my egg quality is good and we don't "miss" the month to increase success rate even if it's just slightly with IUI. As for IVF, I know the chances are good, but nothing guarantees that my eggs are good enough quality. Also, next month if this cycle doesn't work I am getting a Laparoscopy to check for endo which might be effecting implantation and causing the chemical pregnancies. After that we are definitely doing IVF. I had (have?) PCOS but all of my cysts have gone away completely due to diet and exercise and I am a Thin Cyster in healthy BMI...and only 27...so the docs really can't figure me out other than "it just takes time". So frustrating!

I went over a year and a half with tweaking things and the docs finally saying " We just don't know why it's not working- it SHOULD be working." It's very frustrating to hear! My doc went on to do a lap/hysteroscopy to check for endo as well. I've had awful pain for years but they ended up not finding any. I will say after the surgery I got pregnant twice in both cycles immediately following. The first ended in an early m/c but the second was our sticky. I think just going in and clearing things out helped alot even though there was no endo to be found. Do they have you on progesterone in the 2ww to help supplment b/c of your Chem. pgs/ early mcs?
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    M/C: 02/01*10/10*03/12*04/12
    August 2011- Connor was born
    February 2013- Jackson was born
    We are overwhelmingly blessed!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

This (my only) pregnancy is a result of an IUI with one 23mm follicle. We have no male factor issues either. It can happen. Good luck!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grape*Antler For This Useful Post:

KDN2011 (07-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Lucey View Post
    Do they have you on progesterone in the 2ww to help supplment b/c of your Chem. pgs/ early mcs?
    Yup, I am on Progesterone suppositories, baby asprin, metformin, and prenatals.

Thanks

I don't think you mentioned anything about this, but the other thing IUIs can help with is bypassing any issues with CM. Clomid seems to have dried mine up the last two cycles, so that's one reason I was pushing for the IUI this month (DH has no issues - I think the post-wash count was 134 million). It can be hard to justify the cost though ($425 out of pocket for me), but I know it's cheaper than injectibles and I'm trying to avoid having to move to those.

Katie - thanks for the stat about 95% of non-PCOS women having one mature follie per cycle. I've never heard that, and it makes me feel better about not having 2 or 3 each time!
    Me (27) & DH (29) - TTC since 10/10
    Dx: 9/02 Met 2000 mg
    11/11 - BFP on 11dpo, Thanksgiving Day! (10 mg Femara, 2 follies, trigger, IUI)

Nathan Thomas was born at 37w2d on 7-17-12!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Okay Ladies, the doc got my e-mail and called. She said she thinks Timed Intercourse is a good idea for this month, and then next month I can try to stim up some more eggs to try for a better success rate. We are still going to do the trigger shot. I am 90% sure this is what we are going to do but I have to confirm with DH when he gets home this evening.

Next month I think I am going to get a Laparoscopy and then do my 3rd IUI hopefully with some more follies and no endo.

Emily - as a side note, I moved to Cape Town, South Africa 1.5 years ago (hubby's job relocates us every 3 years or so) and I found out a lot of people come here on "vacation" and get IUI or IVF done because it's MUCH cheaper. My IUI procedure including medicine(progesterone, gonal-f, ect) and all scans costs about $500. For IVF the cost is $3,000. So basically people fly here for a few weeks, do IVF and enjoy their vacation and then go home and flight and procedure costs less than it does in the US. And if you ever want to visit I'll be a great tour guide

In fact, if we skip this month's IUI it's only saving us $200 so it's not "that" much which is why it's so difficult to make a decision.