Thanks

Thumbs up How to lower testosterone naturally?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to lower testosterone? I have way too much belly hair... any foods or drinks you recommend? I already have spearmint tea but I also do a lot of exercise as well. (testosterone = muscle).

Thanks

I found that exercise, a good diet and plenty of rest helped to both reduce my weight, normalize my hormones and eliminate symptoms of PCOS. Other than that, I haven't really required any additional interventions.

And we don't have that much extra testosterone to really give us any advantage in putting on more muscle mass than your average non-PCOSer. Putting on muscle is hard, hard work! You need to lift heavy, eat like a trucker and sleep as much as you can without getting divorced or fired. And ditch a lot of your cardio.

I've posted this video before but it shows what I mean by hard work and how, even with the hard work, muscle doesn't mean looking like She-Ra. I'm still pretty small and I'm squatting 225lbs for sets of 5, which is really heavy for me. I was eating about 150-180g of protein and well over 100g of fat everyday, had ditched ALL cardio and was trying to get a good 9-10 hours of sleep a night. After three months of this, I'd gained a measly two pounds of muscle mass (and my overall weight dropped by 5 lbs).

Last edited by TheBumbler; 08-05-2011 at 03:40 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBumbler For This Useful Post:

PittedDates (08-05-2011)

Thanks

Spearmint tea, of course, you already know. Saw Palmetto and DIM (Diindolylmethane) are 2 supplements I've heard are supposed to reduce it. I tried SP once and saw zero results. I'm currently taking DIM but not sure about the testosterone levels yet. It has made my skin clearer and I seem to have more energy but I haven't been to my doctor for awhile to compare my T levels pre DIM and after. I've also heard that acupuncture can help with hirsutism and high testosterone. I don't think there's a huge amount of evidence for it but some smaller studies have shown some promising results. I've heard that switching to soy products also reduces. But, to me, that's a tricky one. I get so much conflicting information on it I'm not sure what to think. I hear that it's good for PCOS because it can reduce testosterone but then in another study I hear it's bad because it creates too much estrogen and puts at risk for cancers. Keeping stress down to keep cortisol levels even (it apparently produces testosterone when too high), good diet, and exercise of course all can play a role.
    Me (36) DH (56) Hidden Content

Medications: Hidden Content
    All herbal / natural supplements. Ditched the harsh met. & spiro. and never felt better!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Metformin, Spironolactone (as above) and dianne pill might work too (these are just pills prescribed by your local doctor)

Saw palmetto is a natural supplement that apparently helps lower testosterone. Me ,personally, I had abnormally high levels of testosterone (androgen), they were off the scales! I didn't have much body hair but I did have severe cystic acne. Lemme tell you, the moment I lost 5kg (was 5kg overweight) my acne AND testosterone levels dropped! Then..I lost too much weight and became underweight ..and get this has pretty much NO testosterone left! Now i'm a normal BMI so its sitting in the right spot!

If your overweight then losing weight will most likely help considerably! Try eating right and healthy. If that doesn't work, looking into doing some hormonal treatment or some prescribed medication from your local doctor/natruopath depending on which type of medicine your into

Foods and drinks wouldn't really help in the long run.. exercise is always good! My mum always told me that although high testosterone isn't the best in a woman, there is the benefit of putting on muscle easier

Thanks

I have heard and read that NAC helps reduce insulin resistance and decrease testosterone. According to Dr Lee in his book about menopause we have too much testosterone because our estrogen levels are too high. So if you decrease estrogen your body gets more efficient at clearing testosterone from your body.

I also agree that exercise especially strength/resistance training help to reduce insulin resistance as well. Environment and diet play a big role in how much bad estrogen we are also affected by.
    I haven't started NAC yet but I currently take DIM and will start NAC next month.

I should add that DIM metabolizes estrogen not testosterone. When you decrease estrogen your testosterone goes down as well at least that is how I understand it.
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

Thanks

Does anyone know if "mint" tea has the same effect on T as "spearmint" tea?

Thanks

When you say "mint", I'm assuming you mean peppermint? No, the do not have the same effect on testosterone. They both work about the same for things like easing stomach upset (I've found it works great to ease the Metformin tummy upset), making you feel a little pep in your step, and fresher breath but for testosterone lowering, you'll need Spearmint tea. I use Bigelow brand, it's tasty and very reasonably priced and easy to find (grocery stores, Wal Mart, and Target).

All herbal / natural supplements. Ditched the harsh met. & spiro. and never felt better!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterStar For This Useful Post:

parallel (08-09-2011)

Thanks

Thanks, GlitterStar. I've been drinking Moroccan mint tea and was secretly hoping that I was unknowingly reducing testosterone in the process! Have you found that the spearmint tea reduces free testosterone or testosterone levels overall?

Thanks

I haven't been doing the tea for very long; about a month now I think so I haven't had any blood work done since I started but I see my doc on Sept 26th. I'm really curious to see how things might have changed since I started the tea so I really wish my appointment was closer. It does seem to be helping though. Not in huge amounts right now but I feel like there's been a definite reduction in my chin hair. I use to have to shave every day but by evening it was already visible again; dark black and course hairs. Now it seems like it's not coming in as quickly and not as course. So I think it's doing some good but I'll have better, more solid, results next month.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

The only spearmint tea I could find is mixed with black tea? Do you think this makes a difference? Also, does anyone know if DIM or Saw Palmetto is safe if you are TTC or pregnant? My skin is finally clearing up on the pill, but I have to go off it soon to start my Femara cycle and I'm terrified of breaking out again!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michi30 View Post
    The only spearmint tea I could find is mixed with black tea? Do you think this makes a difference?
    It will reduce the amount therefor effectiveness of the tea compared to drinking straight mint tea. Also be sure there really is mint leaves in it not just mint flavoring like some cheaper brands have.

Thanks

The amount of spearmint tea that you need to drink in order for it to be effective is quite a lot. I figured out the theoretical effective dose is 4 8 oz cups.

I really wouldn't vouch for spearmint tea, I think it's a gamble. I tried that, but its hard to notice a difference since it requires observation over time. There are only about 2 studies on the effect of tea. Both with a very small sample size.

Thanks

It would probably also depend on he quality and strength of the tea.
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

Thanks

Yeah I wouldn't even bother with spearmint tea. I tried it and noticed absolutely no difference.
    Lisa-34 DH-35
    TTC #1 since Oct 08, 4 Chemical Pregnancies (injection cycles)
    Natural BFP Nov 30, 2011 8dpo, beta#1 9dpo 7: beta#2 14dpo 113: beta#3 20dpo 1467
    Zoe born 8/8/2012
    TTC#2
    BFP 9dpo 7/6/14... stick bean stick!
    Hidden Content