Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looking for Answers.. smshelton24's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mirena to help PCOS symptoms?

Just looking for advice from my fellow soul cysters. Since my pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs) back in October 2010, I have been unable to take BCP's. On top of that, I have found that both Metformin and Glucophage make me too sick to stay on them for too long.

My symptoms have gotten pretty intense and without the two previously mentioned options, my only option left is pain killers that space me out too much to work while taking them.

Long story short, today my OB/GYN offered the Mirena IUD as a longer term solution to my symptoms; until my husband and I are ready to conceive next year. After looking up more details online, it looks as if Mirena may in fact make my symptoms worse.

Has anyone here with PCOS used Mirena as treatment who can offer some advice? I've also read that the procedure is pretty damn painful? My doctor told me to take pain killers before hand and this makes me even more nerve wracking.

I'm so nervous but I'm getting desperate for some kind of resolution, here.
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2009. It's me, DH, and our newest addition a 9 month old Yorkie named Macy.
    Happily married for over 3 years now.
    F
    ocusing on weight lost with Weight Watchers Online. Fighting the good fight since May 2012.
    Praying for healthy babies to come once a healthy weight is reached.

Hidden Content
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Travis W. McCoy, MD FACOG DrTravisMcCoy's Avatar
    Thanks

Mirena won't make your condition worse. It does help with the irregular periods and prevents endometrial hyperplasia, but does little to change PCOS. It could have a mild help, but likely minimally. It definitely won't make it worse. For your situation, you should really consult with an RE, as there are a lot of options that your general gyn probably doesn't realize. Obviously, estrogen containing routes are off limits. Its important to figure out if you have a clotting disorder in the first place. The best role would be through the use of insulin sensitizers, such as metformin. You should refer to some of my old posts about metformin and I talk about how to work up to doses so that it doesn't make you sick. Well over 99.5% of all of my patients have been able to tolerate metformin when used in extended release version and with a slow increase. But if even that didn't work, there are other medications that provide alternatives, such as Actos or Byetta. These would be the mainstay of treatment in your difficult situation. There are several good RE's in your area in TX and I would recommend consulting with them to get a good hold on your situation.

God Bless,
    Dr. McCoy
    Travis W. McCoy, MD, FACOG
    Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
    Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine (FIRM)
    The Center for PCOS
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Did Yaz or Yasmin cause your pulmonary embolism? I am curious because I just started Yaz today and am really dehydrated, and on top of it very worried about the horrible side effects that come along with it.

Looking for Answers.. smshelton24's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Not for birth control

Because of fertility issues we discovered with my husband we don't need birth control. We're having to wait until next year to conceive because we'll be using our flex spending to afford IVF. The only purpose of the Mirena is to help lessen my symptoms for PCOS. One thing that I hate is that I've already put on like 50 lbs in the last 3 years, I'd hate to add to it.

To PCOS_BE_GONE:

I did take Yaz, as well as generic brands: Ocella and Balziva.
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2009. It's me, DH, and our newest addition a 9 month old Yorkie named Macy.
    Happily married for over 3 years now.
    F
    ocusing on weight lost with Weight Watchers Online. Fighting the good fight since May 2012.
    Praying for healthy babies to come once a healthy weight is reached.

Hidden Content
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I personally believe that IUDs are not good for those of us with pcos- one of the side effects is ovarian cysts. That actually happened to me- I got a grapefruit-sized cyst while I had an IUD and that is what lead to my pcos diagnosis (during follow-up appointments). And yes, having the IUD inserted was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. During the time that I had it, my weight gain and acne got much worse. It also made my periods ridiculously heavy and painful- I'm talking having to change a super-plus tampon every hour or two. So yeah, I wouldn't recommend it, especially not if your goal in getting one is to treat pcos symptoms.
    currently taking:

- Spironolactone 100 mg/day
    - Metformin 1000 mg/day (working up to 200mg)
    - Vitamin B complex - because B12 is essential if you take Metformin!
    - Oral Progesterone

Hidden Content

Thanks

Recently, At first my doctor told me that I had PCOS and then he said I didn't it was just Hirstusim. I personally feel it's PCOS. All the symptoms I'm experiencing lead me back to PCOS. Acne, Hair growth, irregular periods(it comes every month, it's just different every month. The length, the flow, cramps, it's all different every month) Recently I've started to experience pelvic pain around my ovaries, it's switching sides. It's been happening periodically it's not consistent and my lower back has been hurting for a solid week and two days. I'm not sure if it's in my head because I've read numerous articles and webpages about PCOS and I know the symptoms and am just looking for them or if they're actually happening because of PCOS. When I went to the doctor around July and did some blood work and said my LH hormone was a little bit high but, never explained what it was. I did some reading and it also led me back to PCOS. I feel like I'm going crazy. Any advice?

Thanks

tanya,

When i was diagnosed a year ago it was through an ultrasound where my OB/GYN saw all the cysts on my ovaries. Perhaps you could ask for one? I only say that because all my bloodwork came back normal and i still was experiencing all the symptoms. The ultrasound will at least give you an affirmation either way. And if you are not able to do that, I would start doing some of the natural treatments discussed on these forums and see if any of them help your symptoms!

Good Luck!
    Maria

Thanks

The mirena coil has stopped my periods its not done anything to the rest of my PCOS symptoms. The hormones in the mirena only work locally around the ovary and uterus area and very little enters the blood stream so it's unlikely to help with your symptoms and I can't really see the point in having it in for a year. I'm dreading the thought of having mine taken out too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Hidden Content The Road may be long and tough but I will get there in the end, PCOS will not beat me! Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've been outright refusing an IUD for 18 months now as it treats my main issue (bleeding) but not the underlying cause. It's lost me a dr and an OBGYN as they were only interested in doing that and when I kept refusing I was politely shown the door and basically told have a nice life. When I saw a new doctor and told her she said the worst thing someone with PCOS or suspected PCOS can do is get an IUD. So I was glad to finally see someone with sense (she also put me on Diaformin and I'll be forever grateful to her!!).

Thanks

Something I just started taing was fish oil with dha and epa. Check out pcosnutrition.com. it talks about how this really helps with mood, insulin resistance and lots of other symptoms from pcos. I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I notice a huge difference in the way I feel throughout the day. I am also taking yaz, started that 3 months ago. I was given the option of the mirena, and it sounded great, but I was afraid of it possiby doing damage to me and not being able to have more children. There are definitely alternatives...good luck!

Thank God for this baby! snfr02chic's Avatar
    Thanks

I have mirena.....have had a year so far. I don't get periods anymore, just some slight cramping around that time each month. I can say that so far I love it....I don't need the BC because I'm single, but also having 2 small kids, it's nice not having to worry about AF every month.
    Me 30
    Survivor of domestic abuse for 11 years....I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
    And I WILL raise my boys to repsect their women, starting with me!!!
    DXD August 5th, 2005

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

For Liz B- removal was simple, especially compared to insertion. I've had more discomfort removing tampons that I did the Mirena.

On my Mirena experience, it was fine the first three years, which is when I developed my first large cyst. After that one, every time I tried to ovulate I'd end up with a cyst, doubled over in pain, and unable to stand up straight without feeling like I would pass out. I had the mirena removed about 8 months (four ovulations) afterwards.

I'm now back on an oral BCP, and still having cysts large enough to be uncomfortable, but not bad enough to call in sick to work.

Hope the info helps, feel free to ask me if anybody wants more info.

Thanks

I had a mirena for a few months and it caused weight gain, depression, recurrent vaginal infections, cysts and after I had it taken out I had pelvic congestion which caused me continuous pain for about 2 months. It was a nightmare for me. It did stop my period which was nice but all of the side effects were too terrible.

Thanks

Hi all, new to this site! I was diagnosed with PCOS about 12 months ago. Ever since I first had my period it has been very heavy and irregular, as in I wouldn't have a period for 6 months but then when I did have BOY would I have it! Have been diagnosed finally with PCOS after suspecting it for a while. Had Implanon inserted which led to constant bleeding, as in it didn't stop for the 12 weeks it was in. Next tried Diane, same thing, constant bleeding. Have since tried Yaz, Microgynon 50 and Brevinor, all with the same result - constant bleeding! I have basically had a period for about 10 months straight now! (Am seriously over buying tampons!) My GYN has now said that pretty much the only option left is Mirena. At this stage I'm willing to try anything just to get a break from my period. I am booked in for insertion for 3 weeks away. Doc will put me under general as I haven't had children and he will also do a DnC. Just wondering what peoples experiences have been? I know everyone is different but am crossing all toes and fingers that this will work. Really just need to stop this period! Plus the Implanon and pills have made me put on about 15kg which I can't seem to shift!

Thanks

Nooka best of luck, I hope the bleeding stops soon. I have 4 months of bleeding a few years ago and the only reason it stopped for me was I stopped all birth control. Still no one understands how it all worked/happened.

I got the Mirena in September. I have it for treatment for pre-cancer (EIN) in my uterus. It was inserted in office. I was given a pill to insert a couple hours before office visit to soften cervix, then the dr applied a numbing cream to cervix, she performed a biopsy on the uterus, and then inserted the IUD. The biopsy felt extremely weird but did not hurt. The IUD was barely noticeable when inserted. The worst of it was after the appointment, I started cramping about 30 minutes later. It was not unbearable cramping, but was more than typical monthly cramping.

I was on BC before and the BC helped my PCOS symptoms more than the IUD. But it is nice having the IUD, not having to worry about everyday pills, there is less mood swings with IUD than the BC. I also LOVE that I barely bleed on the IUD. Oh and I have not gained weight switching from BC to IUD.

I think its a good option for all women to consider and discuss with their GYN.