Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Are you Estrogen Dominant?

If you are you should avoid all things containing soy. Soy increases the levels of estrogen in the body and if you're already estrogen dominant consuming it puts you at an even higher risk for cancer. And yes this includes soy isoflavones. Read here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5695533_lowe...dominance.html

http://www.amandabears.com/soy-isofl...as-clomid.html

I wouldn't have about my estrogen dominance if it hadn't been for my RE giving me a transvaginal ultrasound. Now I try to avoid all things soy.

Thanks

Tina, how did your RE diagnose the estrogen dominance? Those symptoms fit me to a T. I've had my thyroid checked b/c of hair loss & fatigue but my levels were ok, so I'm thinking this may be my problem? Just one more thing to worry about!

Thanks

Hi Tina,

How would I know if I am estrogen dominant? I have PCOS with short cycles (21 days) and very light periods. I havent been ovulating since I dont know when.. I am confused if I have enough estrogen or not...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

She looked at my uterine lining and noted that it was extremely thick. She said that's because I'm estrogen dominant. Here's a list of estrogen dominance symptoms:

• Infertility
    • Miscarriage
    • Breast tenderness
    • Cold hands and feet
    • Breast cancer
    • Hair loss
    • Irregular menstrual periods
    • PMS
    • Bloating, water retention
    • Acceleration of the aging process
    • Depression
    • Mood swings
    • Decreased sex drive
    • Headaches
    • Weight gain, especially around the abdomen, hips and thighs
    • Anxiety
    • Irritability
    • Dry eyes
    • Allergy symptoms
    • Ovarian cancer
    • Fatigue
    • Slow metabolism rate
    • Unstable blood sugar
    • Increased risk of stroke
    • Insomnia
    • Foggy thinking, memory loss
    • Early puberty

http://www.estrogendominanceguide.co...nance-in-women

Thanks

Just wanted to add that DIM is a great supplement that helps your body flush out excess estrogen. Just have to be sure to drink plenty of water with it, which is good to do anyway.
    Mommy of 3 boys who are 7, 4 and almost 2
    *got pregnant with #3 thanks to Inositol, Femaprin, Vitamin D3, Calcium, Magnesium, NAC, Folic Acid, B-100 complex, Pre-Natal*

Thanks

Thanks for the info... once we officially start TTC #2 I'm definitely asking my RE about this.

Thanks

They can also do bloodwork to test your hormone levels which include your estrogen and testosterone levels.
    Me:30 Hidden Content DH:29
    Diagnosed with PCOS: December 2010
    Metformin 1500mg
    DD: Born 9/18/2012 Soy Iso's 160mg CD 3-7, 40mg CD 8-12, NPC
    #2 due: April 30th 2014

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I know I had the bloodwork to check for testosterone, that's part of how I was diagnosed with PCOS... they never said anything about estrogen, but they probably were not looking for it.

Thanks
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sarah02 View Post
    I know I had the bloodwork to check for testosterone, that's part of how I was diagnosed with PCOS... they never said anything about estrogen, but they probably were not looking for it.
    Hmmm... I wonder why? I got a copy of my results and I am actually testosterone dominant and have low estrogen, but at least I was able to find out so I could help my body out.
    Metformin 1500mg

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

There are two ways you can be estrogen dominant.
    Estrogen can be low or normal and Progesterone is lower than its supposed to be. Or Estrogen Can be high and progesterone can be normal.
    So its still possible to be estrogen dominant even when you have low estrogen. I was reading Dr John R Lees book on menopause and he says that when estrogen is dominant testosterone tends to be high too because our bodies do not eliminate the extra testosterone as well. But when progesterone is supplemented the estrogen and testosterone come into balance because estrogen is not dominant and since estrogen is decreasing our bodies can eliminate the testosterone better.
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cmschapp For This Useful Post:

Jennymae (08-26-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmschapp View Post
    There are two ways you can be estrogen dominant.
    Estrogen can be low or normal and Progesterone is lower than its supposed to be. Or Estrogen Can be high and progesterone can be normal.
    So its still possible to be estrogen dominant even when you have low estrogen. I was reading Dr John R Lees book on menopause and he says that when estrogen is dominant testosterone tends to be high too because our bodies do not eliminate the extra testosterone as well. But when progesterone is supplemented the estrogen and testosterone come into balance because estrogen is not dominant and since estrogen is decreasing our bodies can eliminate the testosterone better.
    That is really interesting to know. Thanks for sharing. I was told I was testerone dominant so I took my RE's word on it. I at least hope she is right. I never ovulate and Soy has made me ovulate 3 times so would it be safe to assume she is right?

Also I wanted to ask, if you don't need progesterone supplements such as my levels were normal, and once I do ovulate, I always have a good LP on my own, what does that mean? I don't have my RE anymore since I am overseas, so I learn from what I read. The more I learn the better...lol.

*Edit: Nevermind...lol. I was on that guys page you were talking about and he has a test you can take online and my results were testosterone dominant...lol.
    Last edited by Rayray; 08-26-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    Metformin 1500mg

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I was told that anyone who ovulates irregularly or not at all is estrogen dominant, because they are lacking the progesterone from after ovulation. I was also told the way to become un-estrogen dominant was to ovulate regularly, or go back on the pill. As for the soy, it estrogenic so should be avoided, but I think the soy isoflavones that women use like clomid should be ok, because technically clomid and femara work by tricking your body into making more estrogen which in turn makes more lh and fsh. It's when you're using/taking/consuming soy regularly that it becomes an issue.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to abbiedarlin1 For This Useful Post:

AbFab (08-14-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abbiedarlin1 View Post
    I was told that anyone who ovulates irregularly or not at all is estrogen dominant, because they are lacking the progesterone from after ovulation. I was also told the way to become un-estrogen dominant was to ovulate regularly, or go back on the pill. As for the soy, it estrogenic so should be avoided, but I think the soy isoflavones that women use like clomid should be ok, because technically clomid and femara work by tricking your body into making more estrogen which in turn makes more lh and fsh. It's when you're using/taking/consuming soy regularly that it becomes an issue.
    The articles I've found say that even taking soy isoflavones like Clomid (5 days out of the month) can lead to you being at a higher risk for certain cancers. Women with thyroid issues, PCOS, and/or estrogen dominance shouldn't be taking soy isoflavones at all, but to each her own. I'm not a doctor I don't have a degree, but I've learned so much about PCOS from heavy online research. I didn't know that this condition even existed until one day two years ago I was surfing on Yahoo Answers.
    Last edited by Tina Castle; 08-27-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,328 Posts

Ovulation itself increases your risk for ovarian cancer somewhat, which is why being on the pill LOWERS your risk of ovarian cancer. Just sayin.
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PetiteFlower For This Useful Post:

AbFab (08-14-2012)