Thanks

Arrow Misoprostol (Cytotec) at 6 weeks for miscarriage - anyone heard of this?

Hi All,

I saw my RE this morning for b/w and an u/s. My Betas are super low (170 this morning which is actually up quite a bit but still way low for 6 weeks obviously). So she's having me take 4 doses of Misoprostol (Cytotec) [orally] to induce a miscarriage.

I am surprised there aren't more posts on here talking about this drug being used for this purpose. Does anyone have any experience with Misoprostol for miscarriages? At 6 weeks with such low beta is this going to be a really painful experience? I've read a horror story online which I guess I shouldn't have done b/c I'm freaking out a bit about it.

Thanks gals!
    "lyshy"
    Hidden Content
    July 2011: 200mg clomid on cd 5-9 + 1600 mg Metformin - OVULATION + Pregnancy (now ending in miscarriage)
    May 2011: 10 days of Prometrium, 150mg of clomid on cd 5-9 + 1600mg Metformin = no "O"
    Jan.17th: 3rd RE appointment -- Waiting on DH's tests then starting 150mg clomid
    Nov.23rd: 2nd RE appointment - Met is regulating hormones; keep on it.
    Sept.14th: first RE appointment - started Metformin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lyshy View Post
    Hi All,

I saw my RE this morning for b/w and an u/s. My Betas are super low (170 this morning which is actually up quite a bit but still way low for 6 weeks obviously). So she's having me take 4 doses of Misoprostol (Cytotec) [orally] to induce a miscarriage.

I am surprised there aren't more posts on here talking about this drug being used for this purpose. Does anyone have any experience with Misoprostol for miscarriages? At 6 weeks with such low beta is this going to be a really painful experience? I've read a horror story online which I guess I shouldn't have done b/c I'm freaking out a bit about it.

Thanks gals!
    "lyshy"
    I'm sorry for your loss. Is there a reason your doctor doesn't just wait and see if your beta goes down and you m/c naturally? I am expecting a similar outcome as my betas are also very low. I did research Misoprostol on pubmed and it seems it is well studied and well tolerated. It works by helping the cervix to ripen. If I have to choose a path other than natural m/c, I will go for Midsoprostol versus a D&C. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. Please keep me posted on how you respond to the meds.
    Janeen (39) Hidden Content Richard (39)

DS: Richie born 07/03/2008
    DD: Aaliyah born 07/24/2012
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I was going to say what Janeen already said - if you prefer a natural m/c, ask your doctor if you can wait a few more weeks instead and see if your body does it on its own.

I am so sorry you are going through this.
    Jordan (28)
    Married for 6 years to my wonderful, nerdy husband
    I got my BFPs on Femara. Feel free to message with questions.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I wouldn't take it. Doctors were using it to induce labor as well, but there's a risk of causing uterine rupture. I don't mean to scare you, just want to get the info out there.

http://www.oshmanlaw.com/pharmaceuti...n/cytotec.html

This article is mostly about the dangers when inducing labor, but I think some of it applies to miscarriages as well. There are lawsuits open about it right now.

Combining the results in 20 studies of Cytotec-induced labors published in peer-reviewed journals and papers presented at professional meetings — a total of 1,958 births — I discovered a total of two maternal deaths, 16 baby deaths, 19 uterine ruptures and two life-threatening hysterectomies.
    Last edited by Jenny Z; 08-30-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 486 Posts

I would not worry about the uterine rupture thing. A full term pregnant uterus is a completely different animal than a non-pregnant uterus (which a 6 week pregnant uterus essentially is). Try to imagine popping a full balloon vs an uninflated balloon.

I have used cytotec twice to induce miscarriage. The first m/c was a blighted ovum around 7 weeks along. I took the first dose orally (having read horror stories about women dying after taking it vaginally, being given it at planned parenthood) and it did nothing besides give me the worst gas of my life. I took a second dose vaginally a day or so later and passed the pregnancy the following morning. Saw a complete intact sac pass, about the size of a golf ball, so I know it worked. I then seem to think I bled about 1 1/2 weeks, a little longer than a normal period but not really any heavier and no worse as far as pain. The OB gave me a script for vicodin so I thought the pain would be bad but it really wasn't. (But I took the vidocin anyway because I never say no to narcotics...)

So it took two doses, but it did work.

Second time, I was 8-9 weeks along... I was doing injections that cycle and had low slow rising betas. 6 1/2ish week ultrasound showed one empty sac, one sac with an embryo. Scan a week later showed a slow heartbeat in the embryo. Scan a week later showed heartbeat had stopped. I took either 2 or 3 doses of cytotec vaginally and while I started to bleed I never saw anything that looked like the pregnancy pass... further scans couldn't pick anything up though so I was just told it had to have passed and prolonged bleeding was normal. Betas were taken every few days, dropped sooooo slowlyl I bled for 3-4 weeks more and then passed what looked like a small placenta. I bled for 2 months more after that, passed a clot the size of a softball, and then the bleeding finally stopped. The pain when the clot passed was horrific and out of the blue - my cervix was dialating, essentially like labor - but other than that once again the whole thing was no worse than a period as far as pain (cramping the first week, not the whole 3 months)

That time I would say it did NOT work well. Had I been offered a D&C, I would have refused, fearing scarring, but in retrospect it would have really sped things up. I'm no worse for the wear for having it drag out for that long though.

Personally I think the risks are low, but it doesn't always work. There is no harm in waiting it out, but it can take as long as the entire 1st trimester for your body to decide to let the pregnancy go. That is why doctors will reccomend cytotec or a D&C.

Were I to have a m/c again, I would probably try cytotec again, vaginally.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks

I'm with Jenny. I wouldn't take it.

There is no harm in waiting to have a natural m/c. It can sometimes take several weeks, which stinks, but it's much gentler on your body.
    "Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see."

--C. S. Lewis

Thanks

Is there something other than the beta level that makes her think you dont have a viable pregnancy? Personally I would wait just for the fact that 6 weeks may be too early to see anything on ultrasound, especially if your dating could be off and I've seen to many lab errors in my day to act so drastically. Maybe she is right, but that is just what I would do. I'm so sorry you are going through this!
    Jill (35), DH (32), married 1/04
    TTC #1 since 9/07, no luck after several cycles with Met and/or Clomid, Follistim w/ IUI -BFP 1/20/09 (second try after 1 canceled cycle), DD1 born Oct 2009
    TTC #2 since 10/10, Follistim w/ IUI (after 2 failed cycles)-BFP 4/12/11, DD2 born Jan 2011
    No Meds Surprise Baby, DS1 born Jan 14

Tribbles on board AnotherDreamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry you're going through this (*HUGS*)

Personally, I would wait to see if you m/c naturally at this point.

Not to scare you, but needed to share my experience: I had to use Cytotec with my second miscarriage, I'd waited two weeks to pass it and my body just wasn't cooperating. The baby stopped growing at about 6wks, beta was about 6,000 and we could see an empty gestational sac on u/s. I took two pills vaginally... it was awful, the Vicoden I was prescribed to cope with the pain was not enough, I did pass the sac intact but I had very painful "contractions" for 6 hours afterward (and smaller ones into the next day). I had to take Vicodin all week to cope with the physical pain afterward. I personally will never use Cytotec again. I've heard stories of women not having an issue with it at all, but some of us have a pretty severe reaction. And there's no way to know what your experience will be.

At the very least, if you do use it, make sure you have prescribed pain meds on hand.

At this point, your beta is low. Do you know how high it got? If it hasn't reached the thousands you probably won't have anything visible to pass, and it might not be as bad. Have they ruled out ectopic, with betas that low they aren't usually too concerned but that's always possible if it's still rising... although a chemical is more likely. Could they do one more beta to see if it's going down on it's own?
    Stephanie 29 & DH 28 :: Hidden Content
    Miscarriages: 5/08, 3/09, 11/09
    4 years & injects/IUI= DS 12/11
    injects/IUI= DD twins born 06/14
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." --Winston Churchill
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Crochety as all get out Jelli_Belli's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to echo everybody else and say wait it out to see if you miscarry naturally. It is much easier on your body that way. They say 90% of women with miscarry naturally within 2-6 weeks so if you can wait I would. But it's understandable if you just want closure on the whole thing too. I had one natural miscarriage at 8 weeks that wasn't to bad. I cramped pretty badly for about 12 hours but Ibuprofen helped and then it passed.

With my 2nd miscarriage I was 11 weeks and I waited for it to start naturally but once I started bleeding my MD recommended using the Cytotec to make the uterus contract harder to ensure that everything passed. I won't lie to you, it was horrible. Even with the Vicodin he gave me the contractions had me curled up in the shower sobbing. I was in pain for about 2 days afterwards. The contractions I had in early labor with my daughter weren't as bad. I don't know if it was the fact that I was further along or the fact that I used Cytotec but it sucked

Good luck to you hon...I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Crystal (30)
    DD born 5\21\11. Absolutely perfect in every way Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I did take cytotec and will tell you my experience with it. Around 9 weeks I discovered that I had a missed abortion - the baby stopped developing at 6 weeks and there was no heartbeat (which we did see before). Obviously the pregnancy didn't end on its own for three weeks. I was given the option to wait, but I couldnt bear the thought there was a dead fetus in my uterus. D/c didn't sound like a good option because I am a bit scared of anesthesia, not to forget the risk of adhesions. Cytotec sounded safe, because it is given up to 9 weeks and I was only 6.

They gave me 4 pill intravaginally and after 4 hours I started bleeding heavily. Not much pain at all, but it is very individual. It was a very hard process, but I was grateful that at least I was in my own home in my own safe environment, undergoing something terrible. After that light bleeding continued for two more weeks. We waited for a cycle and two month after that - pregnancy.

I am very sorry for your loss. Miscarrriage was the most horrible experience for me. That baby was very wanted. I felt cheated, becauset turned out I imagined pregnancy symptoms, when in fact the baby stopped developing. I wish with all my heart for you that you will go on to have a healthy and long pregnancy with a baby in your arms. So sorry that you have to go through this.

Thanks

OMG DON'T TAKE IT!

I bet your body will naturally expel the contents if given time. Especially with low betas like that.

Cytotec is extremely controversial because it has cause uterine rupture. Like RD said - I think it's usually in women who are further along in their pregnancy.

Personally, with my blighted ovum, once I stopped progesterone it took about a week for my body to begin naturally expelling it. My RE never mentioned Cytotec and my beta had been up in the thousands. The last time they measured it was over 5,000 and by the time it was determined that it was definitely a blighted ovum I was about 10weeks. My body passed it just fine. It was some bad cramping and that was it.

I've read that the Cytotec cramps can be extremely painful.

I would just ask the RE to wait it out for now. Cytotec is a good option but this early I think it's jumping the gun a little. I'd give it some time.

Thanks

Thanks for all the opinions ladies. I have some bleeding (red) today - just when I wipe (so far) - so I'm holding off on the misoprostol for a few/couple days to see if this all passes itself. That would really be ideal. I appreciate hearing your ideas. Thank you all for sharing AND CARING.

xx
    lysh
    Hidden Content
    July 2011: 200mg clomid on cd 5-9 + 1600 mg Metformin - OVULATION + Pregnancy (now ending in miscarriage)
    May 2011: 10 days of Prometrium, 150mg of clomid on cd 5-9 + 1600mg Metformin = no "O"
    Jan.17th: 3rd RE appointment -- Waiting on DH's tests then starting 150mg clomid
    Nov.23rd: 2nd RE appointment - Met is regulating hormones; keep on it.
    Sept.14th: first RE appointment - started Metformin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lyshy For This Useful Post:

Jenny Z (08-31-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I took cytotec at 6 weeks around 11am and i got cramps later on like an hour later and i fell asleep woke up at 12pm then fell back to sleep kept having horrible cramps. & then at 5pm I got up to go to the bathroom and then i bled and i passed 2 small golf ball sized bloody clogs, and cramping eased down when i took pain killer. I am still bleeding and its been 2 weeks later. Not so much. i had brown discharge and very very little blood. & my breast are not sensitive any more. i do still feel very very exhausted and I can sleep for a long time. & my back hurts. How do i know if i am still pregnant?? I'm very stressed Please help me