Thanks

Default PCOS and Graves (Hyperthyroidism)

Hello cysters,

I haven't been on here in what it seems like years, but I'm back since I'm seriously thinking of TTCing in the next couple of months.

Since I've been gone, I've found out I have Graves disease. I wanted to know how many cysters here have PCOS and a hyperthyroidism disease like Graves?? I noticed at the beginning of last year that I was loosing weight regardless of what I ate. I started my journey of loosing weight, but I didn't think it was going to come off like that. Ended up watching Dr. Oz one day and saw that he was talking about thyroid cancer. Did the little test he described at home, and noticed my throat was bigger than normal. Went to the doctor thinking I had strep throat (like I always get), and found out I had an overactive thyroid. My symptoms have been no periods (but the show up when I loose weight), excessive hair growth on my chin, tired all the time, eating all the time or having cravings, and mood swings.

Are there any cysters that can relate? If so, how have you dealt with it and what are you being treated with? I also wondered if you all are having trouble TTCing?

Let me know. I would love to hear from you.
    Whatever Happens, Happens!!
    God Is In CONTROL!! Hidden Content

Diagnosed w/ PCOS- May 2009
    Meds:
    * Metformin- 1000 MG, twice daily
    * Prenatal- once daily

Next Endocrinologist Visit- Feb 2011

Weight Now- 290 (Short-term goal- 250, Long-term goal- 220)

Thanks

Hi Neeta,
    I have some kind of weird form of Graves disease. I think it's called euthyroid graves. Anyway I have Graves disease in my eyes and my thyroid is enlarged but usually my labwork looks fine. Because of that they never were really willing to do much about it. Oddly, I have noticed that when I go off birth control I get all the hyperthyroid type symptoms all over again. For a while I enjoy the extra energy, until it hits me like a ton of bricks and I'm having the mood swings, wide awake at all hours of the night etc. I had just been off the pill recently but finally had to go back on it. My opinion is that the pill slows down the thyroid, which is why I try to stay on as low a dose as possible. I need to feel slowed down, but not overly slowed down.
    I also started taking bugleweed, which is a liquid herbal extract, a few years ago. My eyes were hurting all the time and with graves the only real option is surgery. I knew I didn't want to do that, nor did I have the money. You can find articles about bugleweed on pub med. It helps block the graves antibodes. For me, it never helped with the physical symptoms, but gets rid of my eye pain as long as I remember to take it.

I have never wanted to get pregnant, but did have one dr. tell me that my labs would finally go hyper all the way if I did ever become pregnant. If you have questions please feel free to send me a message. I have always thought all of this was linked.
    symptoms:

low blood sugar
    excess hair
    high testosterone

After years of Met making me sick - I don't take it.
    I take the mini-pill.

I don't eat sugar or most flours.

Thanks

I was recently diagnosed with Grave's Disease as well. Mine seems to be fairly mild for now and pretty new. AF was always really terrible for me but since the diagnosis it has gotten better. I still don't ovulate on my own though. We just recently did an IVF cycle. We will find out the results in about a week. My Endo told me that because my Grave's is so mild right now he wouldn't treat it but monitor me instead. He also told me that the best thing for me would be to get pregnant so I'm hoping we are. lol. Apparently though, I'll have to be ever more closely monitored after childbirth because the disease can get very bad afterwards.

Are you able to see an RE for help getting pregnant? My lining and stuff were totally fine while I was taking the stimulation drugs. I'm on estrace and prometrium during the LP to make sure my lining is good. Good luck!!
    Me (36) Hidden Content DH (31)
    Waiting for a BFP since Aug 2008.
    November 2011 - First IVF worked! We are so grateful!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi everyone,
    My name is Kelly and I am 28 and was just diagnosed with Graves, but I have also had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) since I was 15. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year, and it was thru a blood test ran by my gyno that we found out I have Graves.
    Is there anyone with both conditions that has successfully had a child. I am looking into thyroid ablation right now and will probably go thru with it in the next 3 months, but after a safe period of time, my husband and I would like to start trying again.

I am heavy (300lbs) so when they told me I had Graves' I was in shock. But when I started doing research, a lot of my symptoms fit. And when I started taking Methimazole for the Thyroid, my headaches finally stopped.

as for TTCing- I am new to forums and do not know what that means yet. Hey, I am blonde so that could be it too.

Thanks

Glad to see this thread. Have been TTC for 10 yrs. I had Graves in 2003. I then had Radioactive Iodine treatment and it killed my thyroid. I was young and stupid...I should have never had the whole thing "zapped." If I had to do it over I would have first tried Armour thyroid, a dessicated (or natural) thyroid treatment. I am on Armour today, 2012, but for 8 years I was hypothyroid on Levothyroxine. It caused me to gain 50 lbs. I went from 110 lbs my whole life to 160 lbs. Just last year I insisted on switching to Armour thyroid and lost 20 lbs. I am now 140 lbs. But, my frame is small and I fear that I still have too much weight. Last year, 2011, I was diagnosed with PCOS. I have always had irregular periods and now believe I might have had PCOS for quite awhile. I first went to the dr. b/c I bled for 2 months in 2011. She diagnosed PCOS. She also put me on Prometrium...200 mg's (progesterone). I do not make progesterone according to my labs. So...she would only put me on 3 months on Prometrium. I ovulated well those 3 months! But, I read a lot and realized that I could take progesterone each month if needed. So, I saw another dr. that has prescribed natural, compounded progesterone for me each month (100 mg). If I do not take prog. I do not have a period, but MOST importantly, I SWELL so much that it is unbearable....swelling in my face, neck, stomach, hands and feet.

Anyway, all of that to say...I have had Graves, am now hypothyroid as a result of now no thyroid, and have PCOS. I so much want to conceive. We have one adopted son, 4 yrs, and he is a great blessing! We want another child and I am only 34! So, I am trying to do all I can to make it happen.

I am currently on Vitex (herbs) 1000 mg/day and Rainbow Light Prenatal Vitamins (3 each in both the am and pm).

Am trying to lose weight by exercise, cutting out gluten, sugar and carbs. So far, no luck on weight loss!

Blessings to you lovely ladies...it is wonderful to have a place to talk about our unique "stuff!" It seems that my friends can only understand so much and then their eyes glaze over and I lose them!

Thanks

I didnt have Grave's, but I did have thyroid cancer ...... and was hypo.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=bluedragon0110;1890894950]Hi everyone,

I am heavy (300lbs) so when they told me I had Graves' I was in shock. But when I started doing research, a lot of my symptoms fit. And when I started taking Methimazole for the Thyroid, my headaches finally stopped.

QUOTE]

I was diagnosed with Graves when i was 19. I too was in shock because I had started to pile on weight (after having lost stones!). Graves is horrible. I had RAI and my thyroid settled down and became underactive. It has become more underactive over the last year or so with the onset of PCOS. I don't understant the connection between PCOS and thyroid disease.

Thanks

Hello! I'm Nina and I was diagnosed with Graves at age 15 prior to PCOS, but only by a few months. Because I'm a teenager, Graves caused weight gain instead of weight loss, so I'm combating two weight gaining problems. The only sort of connection that I have found is that both conditions are autoimmune related. Weight loss is extremely hard, especially because I can't take metformin, as the symptoms are too severe (Ie stomach pain). Anyone have any luck with specific diets and/or alternate treatments?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phialla View Post
    Hello! I'm Nina and I was diagnosed with Graves at age 15 prior to PCOS, but only by a few months. Because I'm a teenager, Graves caused weight gain instead of weight loss, so I'm combating two weight gaining problems. The only sort of connection that I have found is that both conditions are autoimmune related. Weight loss is extremely hard, especially because I can't take metformin, as the symptoms are too severe (Ie stomach pain). Anyone have any luck with specific diets and/or alternate treatments?
    I have had some success with weight watchers- It is definitely hard, but if I follow the diet very strictly and do not deviate, I find that I can lose about a pound a week. The hardest thing is I like sweets and end up getting frustrated after a few weeks and start cheating and the weight comes right back. I am on metformin but since I am still borderline diabetic, I only take it once a day instead of twice and found that I don't have many of the side effects as when I was taking it twice a day- and my numbers have been still good. But they did also start me on a blood pressure lowering medicine this year.

Thanks

I've been diagnosed with blepharitis, although my optician disagrees, wondering if it might have anything to do with my thyroid :c

Thanks

Default The Struggle

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon0110 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Kelly and I am 28 and was just diagnosed with Graves, but I have also had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) since I was 15. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year, and it was thru a blood test ran by my gyno that we found out I have Graves.
    Is there anyone with both conditions that has successfully had a child. I am looking into thyroid ablation right now and will probably go thru with it in the next 3 months, but after a safe period of time, my husband and I would like to start trying again.

as for TTCing- I am new to forums and do not know what that means yet. Hey, I am blonde so that could be it too.

Hey girlie! I currently have Graves and PCOS as well. Its been a struggle for us to conceive, which we've never really timed to do, but over the course of 6 years, we've never been pregnant. I am in the progress of making my mind up about surgery or RAI, but I don't know which one to do. I want to choose the RAI, but I don't want anything to happen. I want to choose the surgery, but I'm totally scared of that too! I just want it to go away. As for the PCOS, my levels have been great since loosing weight, so I'm in the process of trying something different to continue loosing weight. I see that you did RAI, why do you regret it? Oh yea...I'm on Methimazole now, and have been for about 3 years. It went into remission but came back, so that's where I am now. My endo is giving it until June of next year to take me back off to see how my thyroid acts, but I'm scared it will come back and I'll have to really choose an option. I really want to choose one now so we can look at getting pregnant. Oh well...that's my story!
    Whatever Happens, Happens!!
    God Is In CONTROL!! Hidden Content

Diagnosed w/ PCOS- May 2009
    Meds:
    * Metformin- 1000 MG, twice daily
    * Prenatal- once daily

Next Endocrinologist Visit- Feb 2011

Weight Now- 290 (Short-term goal- 250, Long-term goal- 220)