Registered User kisses4alexandra's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Pregnancy Symptoms but Negative Urine Tests?

I'm not sure if this is an issue specifically related to PCOS or not, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone here has had a similar experience. There is a TL;DR explanation at the end, in case you don't want to read through all the specifics.

I was given a loose/casual diagnosis of PCOS at age 19, and started taking birth control pills to prevent me from ovulating, thus preventing the formation of any cysts.

I am now 24, and have been on the same birth control pill (Yaz) this whole time.

However, I stopped taking it for several months over the summer. (There was a reason for it, but it would take awhile to explain, and I don't think it's particularly pertinent to the rest of the story.) I finished my last pack toward the end of June, and had a period directly following, as is normal, into the first couple days of July.

I also had a period at the end of July/beginning of August, apparently all on my own.

Mid-August, I began seeing a guy, who is now my boyfriend, and we were sexually active right from the beginning. I told him I was on birth control~ which technically wasn't true at the time, but I figured I'd be going back on it in 2 weeks or so, so it wouldn't make a difference. So we engaged in only unprotected sex.

I was hoping to get a period at the beginning of September, and planned to start back on the pill after menstruating. Well, I didn't get a period, but thought nothing of it. My periods have always been irregular since I first started getting them, and I never seem to have them more than two consecutive months in a row, so it didn't seem abnormal.

I started taking Yaz again on September 4. Several days after starting, I had some spotting. I figured maybe it was the period I had been expecting, or else it could be spotting from starting the pill. (I spotted when I initially started taking the pill years ago, and I know this is a fairly common side effect.) The bleeding wasn't as heavy as a period. I just wore panty liners for a couple days until it went away.

September went by, and I finished that pack of Yaz on October 2. I took the 4 days of placebo pills. Normally, within those four days, I would start my period, but this time, I didn't bleed at all. "Well that's kind of nice," I shrugged, and I started the next pack on October 6.

Around this time, my bf contracted the flu, and passed it on to me, so we spent about a week being miserable together. But we got over it. Several days later, on October 11, I became nauseous in the late afternoon, and eventually threw up. I attributed it to leftover flu, but bf thought it was weird, because he had not experienced any nausea or vomiting over the course of his bout with the illness. "Well, maybe I ate something that didn't sit right with me," I suggested.

However, a couple days later, the nausea returned. It continued to appear, with increasing frequency and intensity, and I am still getting it on a daily basis now. I kept taking alka seltzers and pepto bismol, but they provided little relief. It has now been 3 weeks that I have been dealing with the nausea, and I have vomited a few times during those weeks. I have no other digestive symptoms - no diarrhea, constipation, stomach cramps, gas, heartburn, whatever. No fever. I am very sensitive to smells~ a lot of food smells make me gag. And all of a sudden, I can't stand many foods that I normally enjoy.

Around the time the nausea started, I started noticing more sudden urges to urinate. I'd be fine, and then two minutes later I would REALLY need the toilet. I seriously peed my pants a couple times when I was outside walking, because I couldn't hold it in until I got home. This is very unusual for me, because I have always been a champ at holding it in. I also have noticed that I've been taking more trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Then about two weeks ago, I was undressing for the shower, and I looked down and noticed my nipples were darker in color. I couldn't think of any reason for this, and decided that my eyes were probably playing tricks on me. But they still definitely look darker to me, and I have since found out that this could be a symptom of pregnancy.

At the beginning of last week, I suddenly gained 1.5 lbs (I weigh myself every morning). I have been trying to lose weight, and have actually lost 10 lbs over the past 2 months. The sudden weight gain felt like it was ALL in my lower abdomen, which felt bloated, and like I was retaining water. This feeling lasted about 4 days, before the bloating went down and I dropped the 1.5 lbs. I am fairly slim (currently 120 lbs), and while my clothes are fitting fine and my stomach is still flat and not "showing," I do feel like I can't suck in as much as I used to be able to.

Last week, I also was pretty moody. I had a bunch of mood swings, felt kind of "down" for a few days, and got mad at my bf over something trivial that normally wouldn't bother me. At the end of the week, I said, "I think I have PMS. I've been kind of a moody ***** to you all week." "Yeah, you have," he said. I said, "It's ok, you can say it, I'm not offended because it's true."

The past few weeks, I wouldn't say I've been super fatigued, but I normally work out a lot, and it has seemed like more of a chore lately, causing me to skip a lot of workouts.

Last weekend, after vomiting, I was trying to calm my stomach, and bf joked, "You're pregnant!" "That's impossible," I laughed. But then awhile later, I remembered that I had been off my birth control, so there could be a slim chance. I took a home pregnancy test a couple days ago~ negative.

I visited my parents for a few days this week, and mentioned my recent stomach troubles to them. My mom said it sounds like I'm pregnant, and dragged me to the women's clinic a few blocks from their house. They administered a urine test~ negative. Still not convinced, my mom told me to get a blood test done, which I am awaiting the results for right now. My mom asked the counselor if any psychiatric meds interfere with birth control or pregnancy tests, since I am bipolar, and have been on several different medications over the past couple years. "Oh, there are very few... I know Topamax is one," said the counselor. "WHAT?!" we exclaimed. I was on Topamax for a year and a half, and switched psychiatrists several times over this period... THREE different doctors didn't catch this, and reassured me that none of my meds would interfere with my birth control. I went off of Topamax at the end of August, shortly after I began seeing my boyfriend. (I'm currently on Zoloft, Buspar, and Wellbutrin, in addition to the Yaz.)

I had made an appointment with a general physician because of the nausea and vomiting. So later that day, I went to my appointment. They administered a urine pregnancy test~ negative. They took my vitals, and everything was normal, although I did note that my temperature was 97.9, which is a bit higher than my normal temperature when I take it at home (usually I'm more like 96). But I assumed their thermometer is probably more accurate. They tested my blood sugar, and I'm not diabetic. The doctor was puzzled, and suggested that it could be ulcers or gallstones. He ordered some bloodwork and urinalysis, which I got done and am awaiting results for, as well as an abdominal ultrasound, which I'll be going in for next week.

My mother is still convinced that I'm pregnant, and is flabbergasted that all the urine tests have come back negative. I asked if that ever happened to her, and she said, "Well, I experienced all the symptoms that you have when I was pregnant, but the urine tested positive."

I DO NOT want to be pregnant at all, so there is no way that this is a "psychological pregnancy," or "all in my head" from wanting it too badly. My mom and I are estimating that I'd be about 2 months along at this point.

Has anyone else here had negative urine tests, but then turned out to be pregnant??

TL;DR: I have been experiencing nausea and vomiting (but no other gastrointestinal symptoms), more frequent urination, more sudden urges to urinate, darker nipples, mood swings and possibly some fatigue and elevated body temperature over the past 3 weeks. All signs point to pregnancy, yet three different urine pregnancy tests have come back negative, despite the fact that I would probably be about 2 months along at this point. Is there any explanation for this? Could this be related to PCOS? Has anyone else here gotten negative urine tests, but then turned out to be pregnant?

Thanks

Lightbulb In response to: Pregnancy Symptoms but Negative Urine Tests?

Hi kisses4alexandra

I too am interested in current predicament, as I too am faced with slight simililar situation.

I take topamax for epilepsy, 850mg a day and have been long term for a few years now. I use Mirena IUD for contraception. On mirena, your period can cease, which mine did back in january. I was in a relationship during this period, which ended in recently, but i noted during the the last few months, my abdomin rounded, i've put up 4kg even though my training hasnt decreased and i'm more tired than usual. 4 urine tests are negative.

So i'm interested to see what yours is. I'm hesitant in some regards to get a blood tests, part of me is worried that it will be positive. My calculation puts me well and truly over 12 weeks. And topamax safety above 400mg is not documented in pregnancy - at least not on the australian pregnancy register. It concerns me somewhat.

So your outcome, with the negative urine tests certainly sincerely interests me.

Renee.

Thanks

I was never on any of those medications but did have a neg urine preg test and was preg so i believe it can happen,

3DS + 1DD = 1 CRAZY momma sugarbug's Avatar
    Thanks

I was similar, on yaz, messed up some pills in June, AF was due July 1st, didn't come. I waited out the 5 sugar pills and started my next pack. On July 8th, I started my period, stopped the pills for 3 days then resumed taking them. No AF August 1st (I attributed it to stress) but by the end of the month I was moody, and realized I'd been feeling nauseous for almost a month... On August 31st, I took a test and I'm pregnant. Had an ultrasound that day- I was 8 weeks. My conception date was July 21st.

To answer your question tho- I have NEVER had a negative HPT and not been pregnant (unless I tested too early)
    DS#1 my Hidden Content 1998 (14)
    DS#2 my miracle 2004 (8)
    DS#3 my blessing adopted in 2006 (7)
    DD!!! my surprise & my last 2012

Thanks

hello there ! i'm new here but wanted to comment on this thread.. kisses4alexandra and/or renly .. How are y'all doing? Kisses4alexandra Are you still having negative hpt? have you received the results of the blood test? I am not in this particular situation, but I have been on topamax on and off for the last 9 years and have wondered what the true interaction between bcp and topamax is. I have epilepsy and have frequent headaches/migraines and have been treated since my first migraine at age 9. Topamax seemed to be the only medication that relieved any of the symptoms, but once I was older and sexually active I often wondered how it affected the effectiveness of my bcp. Last year, before I was dx with PCOS I had a scare where I was almost 2 weeks late while on bcp. I was taking 150 mg of topamax and had missed a few pills. That was the highest amt of topamax I had been on to date. I started to see many side effects I had never seen before and absence of period was one of them. My neurologist thought that I had reached my threshold and I was just seeing negative affects but my gyno was testing me for PCOS. Did either one of you face these problems while taking topamax? I am just curious to see if it was a combo of topamax and PCOS or jsut the PCOS. I had gradually increased my dosage of topamax to 150mg daily last year and that's when I finally reached some relief however the side effects concerned me. Just wanted to get some feeback ! thanks

3DS + 1DD = 1 CRAZY momma sugarbug's Avatar
    Thanks

afischer412- I have epilepsy too. I don't take topamax tho... I'm on Dilantin & Keppra, and (since becoming pregnant) I've been told that all epilepsy meds can cancel out bcps. It's not ideal to take any of them during pregnancy either.
    DS#1 my Hidden Content 1998 (14)
    DS#2 my miracle 2004 (8)
    DS#3 my blessing adopted in 2006 (7)
    DD!!! my surprise & my last 2012

Thanks

Its funny.. I have all your symptoms to a T. Everything.. including the negitive urine and blood tests.

The reason for mine... I have ovarian cysts. I had an ultrasound done and confirmed that I am not pregnant. The ovarian cyst for whatever reason is making my body think that I am preg though.. so my weight gain (11 pounds in one month) the nausea, tired, etc. is all becuase of this stupid cyst. I have never heard of an ovarian cyst doing this before but was told that it is quite common. I would have your gyno do an ultrasound... you may also have an ovarian cyst!!

Thanks

Did you find out what it was that was causing your symptoms?

Thanks

It is pretty rare to not get a positive HPT, but if you are really concerned you should ask for a blood test.

Registered User NatalieCaroline's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm really interested in the results, too. I am in a somewhat similar situation, in that I was supposed to have gotten my period at the beginning of December and never did. I'm due again at the end of this week, but I've taken many HPTs and they've all come up negative. However, I've had a couple of VERY strong symptoms, at least for me. I have a "stomach of steel" and NEVER get nauseous, let alone throw up. Nevertheless, for the last month, the strangest smells, thoughts, and sights (usually of food) make me gag and even throw up. This is relatively unheard of for me. I also just spent the last week laid up in bed with a bad cold after not having been exposed to anyone that was sick (that I know of). I know that pregnancy can impair the immune system and cause you to be more susceptible to sickness. I'm waiting to see if I get my period at the end of this week, and if I don't I plan to go to the OB/GYN to get a blood test and/or ultrasound done. But in the meantime, I'm interested to hear if anyone else has experienced negative HPT results but have actually been pregnant? I have read on other forums that even though it's rare, it has been known to happen that women with PCOS can test negative for as long as eight weeks before finally finding out they're pregnant.

Thanks

interesting. I have been getting severe long lasting migraines and was worried it was due to hormones. I was also on lo estrin but was going to stop after this pack of pills and switch to the nuva ring. I never got my period however. I was due at the end of December. This is also when I started getting the migraines.

So I have taken 2 pregnancy tests and both negative. Going to the OBGYN on wednesday.

Thanks

You need to get a blood test for pregnancy. I am pretty sure I seen on the "TLC show I didn't know I was pregnant" some women having test that were neg, but still pregnant. You might also want to go get your prolactin levels checked out.

Thanks

I have also had what I concluded was a laundry list of Prego signs and I went to the doctor to find out that I am anemic (which if you didnt know PCOS can cause). Low iron is able to cause most of these symptoms and sometimes your fear can drum up a few more. I dont know because it is possible to be pregnant and have a negative test. It is not very common so I would keep searching for answers.

Registered User kisses4alexandra's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi everybody! I'm sorry for not posting an update sooner~ I'm sure you all know how life gets in the way. But since several people were interested in my situation, I thought I'd update to help out anyone in similar circumstances.

So here goes.

My blood pregnancy test came back negative as well. A few days after receiving those results, I went to my follow-up appointment with my general physician - and got my answer. The technician doing my urinalysis had noticed that my urine sample appeared cloudy. This is usually due to an increased white blood cell count, a sign of infection.

It turns out, I had a urinary tract infection that had spread to my bladder and kidneys. This can cause the incontinence issues I was experiencing, and when the kidneys become infected, nausea and vomiting are common side effects. The low-grade fever I had was also a symptom of my infection. When I thought back, I realized that I did remember having some burning pain while urinating for a few days back in early September, but it had disappeared after that, so I had thought that all was fine and back to normal. Boy, was I wrong! Instead, it just spread much further. So lesson learned~ always go to the doctor when you have UTI symptoms!

Once I was diagnosed, I was put on an antibiotic, which I had an allergic reaction to~ never knew I had any medication allergies before. So that sort of complicated my treatment, but after I was switched to a different antibiotic, I got better, and was cleared of the infection a week before Christmas, so I was able to enjoy the holidays.

Most of the symptoms I had were a direct result of the UTI. (incontinence, nausea, vomiting, lower abdominal bloating, fatigue, back pain) The darker nipples were probably just the result of normal hormonal fluctuations. And my mood swings (and accompanying threats of suicide, which I left out in my original post) can be attributed to a "flare-up" of my bipolar disorder, which is normally controlled very well by my medications, but occasionally acts up. Under the supervision and advice of my psychiatrist, I increased my Zoloft dosage for a couple weeks, and this solved the problem and got me through the rough patch.

So, in short, I was (thankfully) not pregnant, just suffering from a urinary tract infection. I have now been fine for about four months now, and luckily, I suffered no permanent kidney damage. If you ever have uti symptoms, go see your doctor, because they can be very persistent, and can cause permanent kidney damage if left untreated for too long. Always pee after sex. Even better, rinse off your genitals, or wash with soap and water ~ especially if, like me, you engage in a lot of anal sex. E. coli is the most common bacteria to cause uti's. I definitely learned something from my experience, and I hope that other people with similar symptoms can be helped by what I learned.

Thanks for everyone's support, and good luck to anyone having medical troubles!