Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Metformin and Testosterone levels!

Hello ladies,

I just had the strangest experience. About 2 months ago, I increased my dose of Metformin ER from 1000 mgs to 1500 mgs, and I recently had bloodwork done. When I got the results, I noticed that ALL of my testosterone levels had normalized (total, free, bioavail, sex HBG)...completely normalized, not a high normal, but actually normal-normal! I haven't had a normal testosterone result in 6 years! I had no idea that I would see this kind of result from Metformin...I'm actually wondering if it's possible that it isn't the Metformin at all, and perhaps something different? I have been having regular (or close to regular) cycles for the past one to two years, even when my testosterone levels were elevated, so I don't know what happened to change the levels so drastically...not that I'm complaining. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with Metformin?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Thiefofalways; 11-10-2011 at 07:42 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thiefofalways For This Useful Post:

TTCwithhope (05-03-2012)

Thanks

I'm just replying to this thread so that I can get notifications when anyone else posts? This is a topic I am interested to hear more about as well. I got some test results yesterday that show my testosterone on the high end of "normal", and my endo is talking about possibly giving me metformin for IR.

On a related note, I'm also curious to know if anyone has taken the supplement diindolylmethane, aka, DIM to reduce testosterone levels.
    Please check out my blog at Hidden Content

Thanks

Hmm, I've never even heard of DIM...but I have heard that some women have had success using Saw Palmetto to reduce testosterone. I actually went as far as purchasing it, but I could never bring myself to take it after reading the warnings on the bottle to avoid taking if you are a woman. It's a silly notion, but I was scared that it would actually raise my testosterone rather than reduce it.

Thanks

As far as I know, testosterone is producing on the level of adrenals as well as on the level of ovaries. High testosterone on the adrenal level can be lowered by dexamethasone, and high testosterone level in ovaries is just lowered by metformin (high insulin causes high testosterone, so metformin is lowering insulin and therefore testosterone) Those are good news Thief... it means that metformin is working

Thanks

My testosterone levels were high before I started taking Metformin. Cue around six months later, I had blood work done and my T levels had dropped a lot. They're still in the high range but not like before and are closer to being normalized and my endo was happy with the results.

Thanks

My hormones were all out of whack before Metformin, and everything is normal now. I am so in love w/ this drug !!

Thanks

Hi Detlic..

My blood work says i do have high testosterone levels..How did i find out if its due to adrenal or ovaries???

Thanks

Hi Lilly, check your adrenal hormones (DHEA, DHEAS, aldosterone, androstendione, 17OH Progesterone). Regarding testosterone in ovaries, it is most usually high due to high insulin. So do OGTT test with insulinemia. All these tests are blood tests. It is best to visit RE (reproductive endocrinologist). OGTT is cheaper but you need more than once blood sampling (or braunila needle insertion)

Thanks

I started Met. in July of this year and gradually worked myself up to 2000mg a day. I had my testosterone and DHEA checked on Nov. 7th and my testosterone level went from a 65 to a 31. The DHEA didn't change much, but I can thank Met for it. I have been losing weight too though. My RE says it is most likely due to the Met and weight loss so I have to keep doing what ever it is that I have been doing. I am curious as to what my other levels are at. AF started on its own in the first week of Nov. too. I can't remember the last time it came on without any progesterone or BCP. I experienced some of the lovely side-effects of Met, but it is well worth the results. My RE is waiting to see if I O'd on my own and if not he will prescribe Progesterone and clomid for the first round.
    What I don't understand is if my last cycle was over 90 days, then why would he be checking me after 3 weeks to see if I O'd? wouldn't it not be until much later because my cycle is longer?

Thanks

That long cycle is past cycle. If you got AF in November, doctor wants to check PRESENT cycle and ovulation in it. Your cycles should be regular after several or more months on metformin, as well as ovulation. Sometimes, only met is not enough so doc adds clomid and in the second par of the cycle progesterone. Good luck.

K.Lyons Navy Wife Worth_The_Side_Effects's Avatar
    Thanks

So I was first diagnosed with 1400mg of Met, straight off the bat by my Fert. doc. I was so sick, from the side effects I, (I lost 20 lbs in a month) but it was not worth it. I stopped taking the high does of Met, and informed a new doctor that it was making me sick so she switched me to Met ER, 500mg twice a day. To start all these Met nonsense off, my Fert. doc said I had HIGH levels of testoserone. Something about androgenism (sp?). I have taken a "kwazi" break from TTC due to school, and work but seeing all these info on here, makes me think I have a greater chance of being a mommy than before

Thanks

Regarding metformin, you should start low dose, for example 500mg a day with evening meal. And after a week or two (depending how you feel), to up the dose for another 500mg, with morning meal. I am now on 2x1000mg of glucophage a day, and I take it with morning and evening meal. So, I am without side effects. But, if I am half hungry or take very very small meal and metformin with it, I am sick whole day. Check your adrenals for high testosterone too (hyperandrogenism). It's best to visit RE i.e. reproductive endocrinologist, rather than regular obgyn.

Thanks

I just wanted to provide an update: I just had more blood tests, and they show that my testosterone levels are STILL normal . This is 6 months after I had my first normal testosterone result. I have to say, that I am so impressed with this dose of Metformin! I wonder what would happen if I bumped it up to 2000mgs...would it be like taking NZT? (for those of you who have seen the movie Limitless )

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have been on and off met for about 6 yrs and when I was married 7 months ago I went back on it at 1500mg/day but today at a doc appt he upped my dose to 2000mg/day and we are waiting on my prog test results from the 200mg/day for 5 days on clomid to determine if I will need to switch to femara next month I have no O'd since I started clomid almost 6 months ago. He also has me set up to do a total blood work up of all hormone levels anyone else go through anything similar and does anyone know if the higher met dosage could affect how the other drugs work?

Thanks

Ok I'm a bit freaked out now-just received DHEA pills to take for helping me conceive?!!! Can anyone help?
    Married high school sweetheartHidden Content
    TTC since June 2010
    -lean cyster
    -lots of Femara + Menopur cycles
    -ovarian drilling 2011
    -IVF x 2 (BFN)
    -2 blasts on ice
    -currently: Femara 7.5 mg -IUI
    DH: perfect