Thanks

Default PCOS & Prenatal vitamins

I was wonderingif anyone knew if prenatal vitamins would help with the symptoms of PCOS. Ihave not had a period in about a year and the last one I had was drug induced.I am trying to lower my hair growth and help me find some energy plus myhusband and I would be really ecstatic if we could get pregnant naturally.
    Fiance (31) & I (29)
    TTC# 2 for me # 1 for him
    My first 8yr old princess
    concieved naturally
    Starting to try naturally for
    #2 using just vitamins and prayer
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I doubt it. Although, if you are ttc, it is suggested that you take a pre-natal before ttc so that you have the proper levels of folic acid before conceiving.
    Megan (30) & DH (32)
    Married - 5 years
    PCOS - 6/2011
    BFP! 9/2011 <--- Metformin worked!

Baby Boy - 5/5/12
    7lbs 6oz / 20.25inches

Thanks

While taking a multi-vitamin such as a prenatal probably won't hurt you, it won't do much for PCOS either. You probably know this but recent studies indicate that PCOS is caused by an error in our insulin receptors. I'm confident that if you have PCOS, you have insulin resistance, and thereby, your body produces more insulin than "normal" so that your cells can use the food that you eat. Controlling your insulin is the best way to control the symptoms of PCOS, and will go a long way in helping you have a successful conception, either on your own, or assisted. I'm sure you know this as well, but controlling your insulin requires that you get a lot of exercise, which will help your energy levels as well, and reduce your sugar intake. Metformin is very commonly prescribed for women with PCOS. It is an insulin sensitizer, which means that your body will be better able to use insulin and then hopefully make less of it. It's the excess insulin that triggers our bodies to make the extra testosterone, which causes the hair growth. Reducing your insulin may not reduce the hair though, since once the hair follicles have been stimulated to produce, they often keep it up.

Good luck!
    Please check out my blog at Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,328 Posts

There is more than one type of PCOS and not everyone with PCOS is IR. There isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to treating PCOS because not everyone who has it is the same.
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content