Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mod of Diet and Exercise! Maddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have this if I don't eat properly as has been said - for me adding iodine in the form of kelp every day really helped with my energy levels overall.

However, for a while I had this excessive tiredness certain times of the month. I could just lay down and go to sleep anywhere. Turned out it was connected to progesterone levels - this can be a problem for some PCOSers - are your hormone levels all checking out okay? Sometimes though I think we are more sensitive to slight fluctuations in hormone levels as well! Here's some info I found

Foods to Raise Progesterone Levels

Turmeric, found in curry, is known to help increase the body's progesterone levels. Other herbs such as thyme and oregano are thought to have the same properties. Adding one of these ingredients in each meal may help to maintain hormonal balance.
    Foods rich in vitamin B-6 including walnuts, whole grains, fortified cereals, and soy milk can also help maintain estrogen-progesterone balance. Also, try to only eat hormone-free meats, poultry and dairy which can disrupt hormonal balance.
    Natural Remedies for Increasing Progesterone

More and more women are opting for a more natural approach to increase progesterone levels. Because synthetic progestins are not exact replicas of the body’s natural progesterone, they have a long list of unwanted side effects. Natural treatments such asherbal and homeopathic remedies, on the other hand, are a natural and effective alternative.
    Herbs such as Vitex agnus-castus (Chasteberry) improve progesterone levels as well as promoting hormonal balance and health. A traditional Chinese herb, Cimicifuga racemosa (Black Cohosh), also has a beneficial effect on hormone functioning and may help to prevent miscarriage.
    In addition, Eleutherococcus senticosis (Siberian Ginseng) promotes overall systemicfunctioning of the female reproductive system, acting as a tonic for female health and fertility. There are a number of plant based natural progesterone creams which can also be very useful in women with low progesterone levels.
    Last edited by Maddy; 04-24-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    I finally have healthy ovaries free of cysts!
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

have one son, two beautiful grandsons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
    I have this if I don't eat properly as has been said - for me adding iodine in the form of kelp every day really helped with my energy levels overall.

However, for a while I had this excessive tiredness certain times of the month. I could just lay down and go to sleep anywhere. Turned out it was connected to progesterone levels - this can be a problem for some PCOSers - are your hormone levels all checking out okay? Sometimes though I think we are more sensitive to slight fluctuations in hormone levels as well! Here's some info I found

Foods to Raise Progesterone Levels

Turmeric, found in curry, is known to help increase the body's progesterone levels. Other herbs such as thyme and oregano are thought to have the same properties. Adding one of these ingredients in each meal may help to maintain hormonal balance.
    Foods rich in vitamin B-6 including walnuts, whole grains, fortified cereals, and soy milk can also help maintain estrogen-progesterone balance. Also, try to only eat hormone-free meats, poultry and dairy which can disrupt hormonal balance.
    Natural Remedies for Increasing Progesterone

More and more women are opting for a more natural approach to increase progesterone levels. Because synthetic progestins are not exact replicas of the body’s natural progesterone, they have a long list of unwanted side effects. Natural treatments such asherbal and homeopathic remedies, on the other hand, are a natural and effective alternative.
    Herbs such as Vitex agnus-castus (Chasteberry) improve progesterone levels as well as promoting hormonal balance and health. A traditional Chinese herb, Cimicifuga racemosa (Black Cohosh), also has a beneficial effect on hormone functioning and may help to prevent miscarriage.
    In addition, Eleutherococcus senticosis (Siberian Ginseng) promotes overall systemicfunctioning of the female reproductive system, acting as a tonic for female health and fertility. There are a number of plant based natural progesterone creams which can also be very useful in women with low progesterone levels.
    I really appreciate you posting this, Maddy. I have been researching these same issues since January and I have come to the same conclusion - low Progesterone. The little I've read suggests that Progesterone is what allows our body to use fat for energy. So it makes sense to me that I am eating a pretty high fat diet, I have no energy, and I am not losing weight.

In January, I started to drastically change my diet and had two really good weeks where I was losing weight and feeling good. And then I started to feel really bad. Worse than I ever had previously. But I was eating a strict-Paleo diet, feeling good on it (skin looked better, got my menstrual cycle back, my emotions were better), lost my carb cravings and sugar cravings and I'm be darned if I was going to go back to eating how I was! But, again, my energy was at it's worst level ever and I could barely work. I also noticed a big increase in my anxiety level and depression.

Since that time, I have had my hormones tested and my Progesterone is at a .3 which I am reading is extremely low for where I am at with my "cycle" - I'm not sure if it's really regular yet. Today, I am just waiting for the doctor to go over the labs and dosages for BHRT (bio-identical hormone replacement therapy). I will report back and let you know how it goes. I have heard good things about Progesterone cream. I hope it works for me as I'm not sure what else to do!

I just want to STRONGLY encourage all of you to get your hormone levels checked. There are lab tests that will test these and if you can't get a doctor to order them, then pay for them yourself! I worry we often trying to change everything to make ourselves feel better when the root cause is something much harder (that being hormones).

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Also I found I had to ask a lot of questions. I asked for hormone tests to be run at Christmas and I was told they were "normal" - I knew this couldn't possibly right at the very least I have high testosterone (and I think low progesterone). When I asked why I have obvious symptoms of high testosterone my Dr replied "oh we didn't check that" so have no idea what she thought a hormonal test was!

Hormone imbalances create havoc in the body and the longer left untreated the worse it can get but it's also difficult sometimes to get treatment for them unless it's because you are ttc (at least in the uk anyway). Hopefully bio-identical hormones will start to happen here too as I think that is the way to go.
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

Green Fields~Golden Sands DiamondInTheRough's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if a simple B6 vitamin could help?
    Hidden Content Married SAHM - Me(35) DH(40)Hidden Content
    DS1 (2003) Clomid, IC Miracle - Bedrest, DS2 (2007) Metformin, IC Miracle - Cerclage
    Angel Baby @ 18 wks (2001) Bicornuate uterus, IC "To God we belong, and to Him is our return." Qur'an 2:156

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Could be worth a try as an easy to add in option. B vitamins are good for PCOSers and B6 good for the metabolism.

Thanks

I've always had problems with excessive fatigue, even when I was a teenager and in great shape. I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night and could lay down and take a nap at any time! I don't snore and my thyroid is fine...

Good luck to you! I really hope you can find a solution! I've just learned to live with it, which I don't recommend!

Thanks

I've been dealing with exhaustion for a while. Some days are better than other, but I'm always tired to some extent. On a bad day, I'll sleep all night, get up long enough to get DD to school, then come home and go back to bed until it's time to pick her up. Last week was pretty bad because DH is out of town and I don't sleep good when he's not home plus DD was home on spring break so I couldn't take a nap during the day. I've ended up napping nearly every day this week now that she's back at school.

When I first talked to the doctor about it, she checked my B12 and I was deficient so she put me on a 2500mcg supplement. Even after taking it for 2 years now, I'm still tired. I eat fairly healthy (low-carb but not extreme) and exercise, but it hasn't made a difference. The doctor just rechecked my B12 levels last week and if they're still low, I'm going to ask her about the shots because the pill supplement obviously isn't working. I also take B6 for another issue.
    Married since 2005.
    Miscarriage 2005, DD born 2006, miscarriage 2007, no pregnancies since. TTC since June 2007.
    Diagnosed PCOS 2010.

Thanks

I wonder if it could be you adjusting to the pill. When I go the pill I sleep but wake up a lot or just don't feel like I had a good sleep and got rested. Now that I'm back on the pill I'm sleeping a ton more. I'm sleeping so well it's hard for me to get up! Those hormones definitely do change how you sleep, at least for me.
    symptoms:

low blood sugar
    excess hair
    high testosterone

After years of Met making me sick - I don't take it.
    I take the mini-pill.

I don't eat sugar or most flours.

Thanks

yes, severe fatigue, such that I'm taking this year off of school :/ I feel like I can't live a normal life because I'm so fatigued. I also suffer from extreme brain fog and forgetfullness and muscle weakness. I was also diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency, hashimoto's hypothyroidism, and mild sleep apnea which are contributing to the fatigue from pcos & prediabetes.

Thanks

I find myself to be tired most of the day... but I have trouble sleeping through the night most of the time. I do think my bouts of insomnia are related to my PCOS though. So either way I guess, PCOS is to blame for my fatigue.
    Join the Cysterhood! Hidden Content
    We are just getting started. Become one of our founding members! Participate, share
    and help PCOS Center grow into a great PCOS community!

Hidden Content

Diagnosed: 2001
    BCP & Metformin
    Pregnant Oct/12 - with the help of Metformin

Thanks

YES, I have daytime fatigue but have some insomnia and trouble falling asleep until late as well. but I can't stay awake without a nap during the day or if I am I feel sickly tired and am unproductive.

Thanks

I have the same problem. Always feeling tired despite a good 7+ hours sleep a night! I do find that my fatigue is worse if I dont get enough iron.
    Me (27) DH (27)
    Married 03/12/2011 Hidden Content (together since 2003)
    TTC Since Feb 2012
    Dx PCOS Sept 2012 - 40+ cysts on each ovary
    First round provera and clomid 50mg Jan 2013 - waiting... Hidden Content

Thanks

I definitely have this problem. Starting met soon and I really hope addressing my IR issues make things like this lessen/go away.

Thanks

This is me this week since starting Metformin! I've been SO tired! I even went to bed at 7:30 last night (woke up late at 7 to rush to work) and was STILL tired all day. Again, it's 7:30 and I'm fighting to keep my eyes open. Plus, I've had a headache for the past few days, either the medication or because I'm so tired? I've never been so tired before starting this new medication...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lola41 View Post
    This is me this week since starting Metformin! I've been SO tired! I even went to bed at 7:30 last night (woke up late at 7 to rush to work) and was STILL tired all day. Again, it's 7:30 and I'm fighting to keep my eyes open. Plus, I've had a headache for the past few days, either the medication or because I'm so tired? I've never been so tired before starting this new medication...
    This happened to me when I tried metformin again a few years ago. My dr said since I already have sugar that goes low all the time, the met was just making my sugar stay even more low which sucked out all of my energy. I think a lot of drs push met and are not honest about what it really can do.
    symptoms:

low blood sugar
    excess hair
    high testosterone

After years of Met making me sick - I don't take it.
    I take the mini-pill.

I don't eat sugar or most flours.