Thanks

Default Does metformin lower estrogen?

Hey everyone--

I am wondering if Metformin lowers estrogen? I have read conflicting things, and am hoping some of you might have advice. I am a thin woman with PCOS.... I was on metformin for a few years, and while on it, my cycles were regular for the first time in my life. I then unintentionally went off it due to doctor issues (that's another story) and have been off of it for a couple of months.

In the meantime of being off it, I wanted to investigate where I stood with my hormone levels, and surprisingly I found out that my estradiol level is 28--- a menopausal level even though I am only 31.

I had suspected a low estrogen issue because I have been having terrible insomnia, and lack of concentration, poor memory, even vaginal dryness etc. But was pretty shocked at how low it actually was.

I've been doing more research into metformin as I decide what to do next with my treatment.... and I have come across sources saying either that metformin increases estrogen, or that it decreases it. So I'm confused. I don't want to go back on it if it is going to lower my estrogen even further.

I'd really appreciate any insight!

Julie

Thanks

long story short, met helps regulate and level your hormones... if you're e's running high it can help lower it and vice versa.... it stimulate your glands and helps them to work properly. at least that's how my dr explained things to me and that's been my experience with it as well as what i've seen with other women.
    Kaila (26) Hidden Content John (26)
    TTC Since 2008
    Tied the Knot 2/11/2010
    M/C @ 8 weeks 9/16/2009 Hidden Content
    Guardian of a Wonderful Little Boy ~ AUSTIN 9yrs old
    Dx'd PCOS Late 2008 Metformin 2000mgs Since 11/2010
    3 Failed Clomid Cycles (sept-dec '11)
    Lap/OD ~ 4/23/12
    S/A shows 0 Sperm Due to Testosterone Injects
    IUI #1: Clomid 50mgs days 3-7 with Donor Sperm BFN Hidden Content
    IUI #2: Clomid 100mgs days 3-7 with Donor Sperm and Hep Injects...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KailaRose For This Useful Post:

FemJ (12-06-2011)

Thanks

Kaila--thanks very much for your response. i'm curious just how the metformin can regulate in all of these different ways, i.e. both lower or raise estrogen depending on your needs. did your doc explain this any more? i know that i have both low estrogen and high-ish testosterone. metformin did make me have regular periods. julie

Thanks

I had insanely high testosterone and non-existant estrogen and it leveled me right out!
    my dr explained it like this.... pcos is a fancy term that basically means that your hormones are out of whack. that's maily because for whatever reason, your glands are either over or under active creating an imbalance. metformin stimulates your glands and makes things work properly which should, over time, adjust your hormones accordingly. i'm sure there's more to it than that but tbh, that explained more than enough for me. i just wanted to know if it would help me out and that it did! i had never even heard of met before she told me about it... i didn't know there was a treatment option for pcos... i thought it was all high dollar hormones or bcps.
    Kaila (26) Hidden Content John (26)
    TTC Since 2008
    Tied the Knot 2/11/2010
    M/C @ 8 weeks 9/16/2009 Hidden Content
    Guardian of a Wonderful Little Boy ~ AUSTIN 9yrs old
    Dx'd PCOS Late 2008 Metformin 2000mgs Since 11/2010
    3 Failed Clomid Cycles (sept-dec '11)
    Lap/OD ~ 4/23/12
    S/A shows 0 Sperm Due to Testosterone Injects
    IUI #1: Clomid 50mgs days 3-7 with Donor Sperm BFN Hidden Content
    IUI #2: Clomid 100mgs days 3-7 with Donor Sperm and Hep Injects...

Thanks

I have the same question..my CD3 estradiol was 23,....any idea what it means?

Thanks

My testosterone was 29 when I was diagnosed vie been on met for almost a year now and it's down to 18! I know it's the met that lowered it, I did try spiro for 1 month but couldn't handle the diuretic side effects so it's all the met.

Thanks

wow good to know- i just googled some estrogen producing foods- beans- etc....