Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Registered User ReverseTheCurse's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Laser Hair Removal Works!!!

Many of you may already know this, (or know far more, I'm not claiming to be an expert here) but for those of you who may be skeptical I thought I'd share my success story.

I thought for sure laser treatments didn't work for women with PCOS, because I hadn't gone to a laser center in the past, I'd gone to an over-priced dermatologist who apparently didn't use a laser at all but a 'light' of some sort, claiming it was laser hair removal.

I just had my first true laser treatment (whatever that means, apparently there are different lasers set at varying strengths depending upon your skin tone and type of hair growth at laser centers), on January 6th. I have had aggressive, humiliating terminal (man beard lol) hair growing on my chin since I was 13 years old. At my appointment, I learned that the reason the hair on my chin had gotten increasingly thicker and more aggressive over the years was because I was plucking. I don't recall the terminology (or maybe even the whole story) she used so excuse me if I butcher my description, but in layman's, apparently when you rip the hair from its follicle the tiny capillaries that supply blood to the hair shaft hemorrhage, which makes the problem worse by eventually supplying more blood to the region and creating thicker hair shafts. This made a hell of a lot of sense to me because I remember the hair being a lot finer and less aggressive before I began plucking it and waxing it. (In the beginning I shaved).

Anyway, it's now the 15th, and I have NOTICEABLE LY less hair on my chin!!!!! A few days after the treatment my chin looked horrid. I felt like the appearance was worse, that I had an intensified dark shadow. Well, the past few days have been amazing because after each shave, more and more hair disappears and I can actually see lovely clear hairless skin in places I never thought possible. It used to be that I had to pluck every single day or I'd have an obnoxiously noticeable shadow against my pale skin. Now I'm just shaving, and although I still have a shadow in certain spots (I'm thinking they're the areas that are just now experiencing a growth phase and will be zapped at my next appointment), I can actually see clear patches of skin for the first time in a decade. I want to cry I'm so happy.

Hirsutism is the absolute worst of my symptoms, and has plagued me and destroyed my confidence for over ten years. If you're like me and have an aggressive case of it, find a reputable laser treatment center in your area and start getting some treatments. I am so elated. I paid $297 for three treatments, and I'm planning on going once a month until it's mostly gone. It's my understanding that you need touch-ups every six months or so. No problem for me!! I'm so happy!!!!!
    Much love to all.
    -D-chiro-inositol
    -Vegetarian / Organic Diet
    -Morning Cardio + Resistance Training
    -Vitamins A, B12, B3, C, D, E, K
    Books- The Ultimate PCOS Handbook
    Treatments- Laser hair removal, Dermabrasion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseTheCurse View Post
    I thought for sure laser treatments didn't work for women with PCOS, because I hadn't gone to a laser center in the past, I'd gone to an over-priced dermatologist who apparently didn't use a laser at all but a 'light' of some sort, claiming it was laser hair removal.
    Yes, laser treatment works for a great many women with PCOS. What it doesn't do is wipe out the beard growth entirely.

I have had aggressive, humiliating terminal (man beard lol) hair growing on my chin since I was 13 years old.
    Which is far more common than many people believe. My moustache started growing in so heavily that I had to start shaving at 13 and by age 15 I was shaving every day. Most of the guys my age had nothing like that sort of moustache growth.

At my appointment, I learned that the reason the hair on my chin had gotten increasingly thicker and more aggressive over the years was because I was plucking. I don't recall the terminology (or maybe even the whole story) she used so excuse me if I butcher my description, but in layman's, apparently when you rip the hair from its follicle the tiny capillaries that supply blood to the hair shaft hemorrhage, which makes the problem worse by eventually supplying more blood to the region and creating thicker hair shafts. This made a hell of a lot of sense to me because I remember the hair being a lot finer and less aggressive before I began plucking it and waxing it. (In the beginning I shaved).
    That's a correct description.

I want to cry I'm so happy.
    Glad you're happy with the results. What laser can offer is long-term hair reduction. It's not without its problems and it doesn't work for everyone, and it certainly doesn't work once your beard growth starts to go gray, but for some women it's a good answer. Those who are disappointed are often those who had unrealistic expectations. If you've got skin that's sensitized to respond to testosterone like a male's does, and if you've got levels of free testosterone that are in the male range, then beard growth is natural for you and it'll keep coming back over time, which is why you need ongoing sessions every so often. If you accept that, then it may very well be the best answer for you.

Joy

Thanks

i have had 2 laser treatments so far and it has worked ok its supposed to remove 30% each time its done..it hurts like hell but i think its worth it i have it on my chin cheeks and neck and now i noticed that i have bumps where i shave!! im in a wedding next saturday is there anything i can do to remove these bumps..i use warm water and shaving cream to shave then after i use cervae moisterizer to put on my face i need these shave bumps gone any recommendations??? im so happy its working for you!!!!!

Thanks

now i noticed that i have bumps where i shave!! im in a wedding next saturday is there anything i can do to remove these bumps..i use warm water and shaving cream to shave then after i use cervae moisterizer to put on my face i need these shave bumps gone any recommendations?
    1. Get a good-quality razor designed specifically for men
    2. Don't use warm water -- use hot water and have a container of very, very hot water indeed for dipping your razor in before every stroke
    3. Use shaving gel, shaving foam or shaving soap designed for use by men

Basically, if you need to shave your face, then better using a system that's designed for that area, which effectively means looking at products marketed for men.

Joy

Thanks

Make sure the areas you're about to shave have had time to warm up. Meaning don't just splash hot water on them in the sink and go at it. You need your skin to be very warm and your pores open, so I'd suggest shaving in a steaming hot shower. If you have goose bumps when you shave you'll end up shaving the heads right off of them. Razor burn is awful I feel your pain!
    -D-chiro-inositol

Thanks

As for the bumps I had them too after my first treatment WITHOUT shaving, so I think it's normal. My skin didn't even out until about a week after my first treatment. It looked worse, as I said. Hugs!
    -D-chiro-inositol

Thanks

As for the bumps I had them too after my first treatment WITHOUT shaving, so I think it's normal. My skin didn't even out until about a week after my first treatment. It looked worse, as I said. Hugs!
    I am agree with you. For me it is also normal.

Thanks

Today (01/20) there are only a few tiny black dots on my chin. The rest is CLEAR. I'm sure there are folicles that will go through a growth phase soon, but I've never had a clear chin, at least since I started deating with the problem at the age of 13. I'm elated. If you haven't tried laser hair removal you girls need to!!!! It's worth the pain. (It hurts horribly and smells awful during your treatment)

I'll keep you updated periodically.
    -D-chiro-inositol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ReverseTheCurse For This Useful Post:

keysfergy (01-25-2012)

Thanks

I had my upper and lower lip done three years ago. It really only worked on my upper lip, but that was more about a scar near my bottom lip than anything. For a year past my last treatment, I didn't have a single hair on my upper lip except for what was right by my nostrils. A year later, they slowly started coming back. A year after that, I still have some lip hair, but still significantly decreased from before the treatment.

I did get burned on the lower lip area because they were trying to be more aggressive and did something terribly wrong. I had a horrible burn for two months, and then it faded away. I just wanted to warn you because it is pretty rare, but possible.

Thanks

Default Hello everyone

Hello everyone, I am sort of new to this forum in that I have not posted much since I joined, but I would like to share my laser hair removal experience as well. I also get regular laser hair removal treatments and it has changed my life. I did not expect it to make a large difference, it was just a last ditch effort.
    I went to a doctor's office that claimed to do laser; it was actually intense pulse light. The person operating the equipment was not well trained and i was horribly burned twice! But a couple of years later I went to a reputable business to have it done and it has changed my life! I am now one of those girls that can wash her face and dash out the door; I have fine peach fuzz! But I think this is going well because I chose a reputable company that only does hair removal and they do it well. It was expensive but worth it. I highly encourage anyone to try out laser hair removal too see how you feel about it.

After almost a decade of being openly stared at and being called werewolf I finally get to relax when I leave the house! I am finally happy; I had to save up for a few years because it was absurdly expensive but it was worth it because now the hair AND the acne is gone (I am convinced that somehow the shaving was giving me the acne). Sorry for rambling, the point I am trying to make is that you should not discount laser hair removal before you give it a try.
    Last edited by PinkIsBoss; 01-30-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks

That's what it was (the first time for me), 'intense pulse light therapy' or whatever. I feel duped! I paid $300 for three sessions of it and it didn't make any difference whatsoever. I remember the dermatologist saying "this is going to change your life." LOL yeah, right. I cringed in that moment thinking how patronizing lol and of course now I realize it wasn't going to work anyway.

My chin was sore after the light therapy but nothing like the burning sensation after my laser treatment.

In a few days it will be a month since my first treatment. I have (as I expected) some random hairs growing in all over, I'd say about 10? Compared with the 100's I had before I'll take it. I literally had a thick, black BEARD. I'm assuming the hair that is there wasn't in 'growth phase' at the time of my last appointment so they'll get zapped this time around. I'm planning on at least six sessions, maybe more. I want to kill it all.
    -D-chiro-inositol

Thanks

so happy to hear you success stories! there is hope!!

Thanks

That's what it was (the first time for me), 'intense pulse light therapy' or whatever. I feel duped! I paid $300 for three sessions of it and it didn't make any difference whatsoever. I remember the dermatologist saying "this is going to change your life." LOL yeah, right. I cringed in that moment thinking how patronizing lol and of course now I realize it wasn't going to work anyway.

My chin was sore after the light therapy but nothing like the burning sensation after my laser treatment.

In a few days it will be a month since my first treatment. I have (as I expected) some random hairs growing in all over, I'd say about 10? Compared with the 100's I had before I'll take it. I literally had a thick, black BEARD. I'm assuming the hair that is there wasn't in 'growth phase' at the time of my last appointment so they'll get zapped this time around. I'm planning on at least six sessions, maybe more. I want to kill it all.
    The fact that you had a beard is indicative of
    i) sensitization of your face to respond to testosterone in the same way as most males do (and that sensitization is quite common amongst females who never have significant growth of facial hair, too)
    and
    ii) high levels of free testosterone.

Laser can be very effective in suppressing moustache and beard growth, but if it's going to have a long-term effect you need to ensure that your levels of free testosterone are kept well within what's regarded as the normal female range. If you have a natural tendency towards beard growth, then ongoing balancing of levels of free testosterone to ensure that your hormone balance is in the typical female range is usually vital to stop the beard growth resuming after a time.

Joy

Thanks

I feel your pain...I worked from my freshman year of college until the beginning of my junior year in college to be able to afford some treatments only to get horribly burned. They burns were so horrible that they were terrified of being sued but I assured them I understood "it just wasn't for me" (I have since warned others about their false claims of using "laser").
    However the money was still spent and I still looked like a burn victim. Everyone would ask me what happened to my face and each time I just said I had some chemical peels gone wrong. Now that I went to a reputable place I am so happy that I actually cry when I look in the mirror (sappy, I know).
    In the end, I know that laser does not work for everyone but it worked for me and I hope that it works for others as well...my happiness and confidence have skyrocketed. Now all I have to do is save up to get the rest of my body done, but I am young and don't plan on getting married anytime soon so I have years and years to save up for everything I want treated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 484 Posts

I have had laser, and it grows back. It can be maintained via yearly touchup if desired but it is not permanent removal - more reduction.

And my hormones weren't getting back into the high testosterone range so I really think it is a matter of the laser stunning the follicles vs killing them.

But long term reduction is still something!

I am never going to have my legs done, though, because even a touch up for the leg is pricey vs for the chin for which you can usually find a deal.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel