Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Ovarian drilling?

I recently started seeing a new gyno and she said that based on how intense the cysts on my ovaries are, she recommends ovarian drilling, which I had never heard of. I did some research and it looks like it isn't that common. Has anyone had any experience with it? I am worried about te recovery and if it will keep me out of work for a while. I go in for a surgical consultation in two weeks but want to have as much information as I can before I go in.

Thanks!!

Thanks

Hi annnnna

So glad I spotted your post. I had ovarian drilling done on 12 Jan 2012 and it went very very well.
    My gyno prefers ovarian drilling as it leaves your body to do its thing naturally rather than pumping synthetic hormones into your body which make you moody and other things. Also with the hormone treatments you have to see your gyno regularly and they need to tell you when to have intercourse. You land up paying a fortune if your medical insurance doesn't cover fertility treatment. Ovarian drilling is often covered by medical insurance and your gyno then leaves you to do your thing until you fall pregnant. Only if your menstrual cycle continues to stay irregular over 3 months will they then consider hormonal therapy.

The op was rather short, less than 1 hour. I went home the same day. Had no pain, but was uncomfortable. Took pain killers for 3 days and then threw the rest away as I didn't need them anymore. I had the op on the Thurs and could have very well gone to work on the Mon, but took the full week off to relax. As they are working on your ovaries you will need to wear a pad or tampon for about 4 days do soak up any residual blood, but this is completely normal.

The scars are cosmetic and will fade.
    As it is key-hole surgery, the go through your belly button and make 2 additional small hole just above your pubic bone.

I would say GO FOR IT!

Just make sure you not pregnant before the surgery. Turns out that I was already pregnant when I had the surgery. Egg was probably sitting in the fallopian tube and just about to release so they didn't spot it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Try doing a forum search in PCOS general on ovarian drilling, there have been lots of threads on this topic. I had it done in 2006 and have cycled ever since. It worked very well for me, although I have read that for some PCOS women, it doesn't work as well, but can make them respond to fertility drugs better than they did pre-surgery. Good luck!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

hello! i had ovarian drilling in august and it was seriously the best treatment i have ever recieved for PCOS. I was in a lot of pain afterwards but thats because i had problems with anasthesia and they had to give me some meds that counter acted my pain meds. After about a week I was good to go. My cycles regulated afterwards and i got positive opk's every month. Now i'm 8weeks preggers I say GO FOR IT.
    Katy IHidden Content My Veteran!
    Ovarian drilling/D&C/Scope on 8/3/2011. Metformin 1000Mg Lost 75lbs using low carb
    BFP!! 12/29/11 (our mircale after 3 years!)
    Blake Gilpin Born 9/3/12.. A big bundle of perfect!
    Current: TTC baby #2- metformin 1000mg, natural cycles

Thanks

Thanks so much for your comments!! The things you have said are so reassuring! I have been reading about it and saw that it could take up to four weeks to heal ad was really worried, but from what you all say it sounds like a quick recovery and like it is really helpful for my poor cystic ovaries!

Newly posting Cyster NaPpYcYsTeR's Avatar
    Thanks

This may or may not be helpful to you, approximately 2 years after I was diagnosed with PCOS, my grandma mentioned to me that she had to have her "ovaries drilled because they had cysts on them." At that point, I learned that I had a family history of PCOS and it also helped me understand why my grandma always kept a pair of tweezers and a mirror in her purse...

At any rate, I'm here, which means that grandma was able to have children afterwards (she had two - my mom and my uncle).
    Diagnosed with PCOS December 2004 (Senior year of college)
    Married - 5/28/11Hidden Content
    New Doc 8/11; Dx 8/11 with a 3mm fibroid, TTC BB#1 Since 9/2011
    Pelvic Lap & D&C - 10/11; Depot Lupron 10/6/11; AF Returned 12/2011
    BFP - 2/10/12, First appt -2/15/12 (labs - HCG 305; Progesterone 9Hidden Content )
    Meds: Met 500 mg 1 per day; Progesterone 200mg (started 1 per day 2/15/12; increased to 3 per day 2/20/12)

Thanks

I'm having this later this month! Very excited! :-)

Thanks

I had ovarian drilling in July. My periods were usually 45+ days apart. For two cycles after the drilling, they were about 35 days apart, but they are now back to around 40-42 days apart. They are more regular, still long cycles though. Still havent gotten pg (but did have a m/c in May before the surgery. So I at least know there is a chance).

Thanks

I just had ovarian drilling done 3 days ago. I also had 1 fallopian tube and 1 cyst on my ovary removed. I do not want to get pregnant, I have 2 children. My doc reccomended this for my PCOS and all the terrible symptoms I was having. She said the drilling would possibly help my PCOS symptoms. Surgery went very well, and I never had much pain. But 3 days later, I'm having extreme cramps, heavy bleeding and alot of large clots. I'm on T3's and Naproxen 500, and it is still not helping the pain. Sure hope it gets better from here.

Thanks

Hi
    Can anyone help me with my post here. Does your periods become irregular within 2-3 months after laproscopy(with ovarian drilling). My periods came regular at cycle length 30 days for 2 months after lap. Iam ttc and is on clomid. This month iam 2 weeks past my period due date and still no periods. I took HPT and all came back negative. I had very very light spotting on the day after my expected period and also yesterday. I used digital opks on cd 13 -cd20 to know whether iam ovulating this cycle and it never came back positive.I got my lap done on dec -26-2011 and after that got my first periods on jan-25-2012 and the next one on feb-24-2012. I was expecting periods on mar-25-2012, but it didnt turn up. Please help me. Iam really getting tensed.Atleast i want my periods to be regular if not pregnancy.

Thanks

Hi does anyone know how much ovarian drilling cost? I have no plans of getting it done as of yet but want to research as much as possible before going back to the doc.
    Lily (23) Hidden Content DH (25)

Started our Journey on May 2011, Started doctoring Sept. 2011
    4 failed cycles of clomid no o, Switched to natural medicine March 2012
    1600mg Vitex, Prenatals, Royal jelly, Vitamin D, Calcium,
    Started Vitex March 2012
    First Cycle with Vitex - 45 days no definant O but AF showed!!!
    Second Cycle with Vitex - provera induced afHidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I want to say around $4k with hospital, doctor fees, labs, etc..., but it really all depends. Insurance should cover it though.

Me: 30 DH: 34
    DS: 11/21/11
    Ovarian Drilling Success Story! Surgery 12/22/10 :: BFP 3/22/11
    Baby girl EDD: 5/24/14

Thanks

Ok thanks
    Lily (23) Hidden Content DH (25)

Started our Journey on May 2011, Started doctoring Sept. 2011
    4 failed cycles of clomid no o, Switched to natural medicine March 2012
    1600mg Vitex, Prenatals, Royal jelly, Vitamin D, Calcium,
    Started Vitex March 2012
    First Cycle with Vitex - 45 days no definant O but AF showed!!!
    Second Cycle with Vitex - provera induced afHidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I had this done in Feb 2007. At the same time my dr did a D and C, ovarian drilling, and checked my tubes. This was suggested because our next step was IUIs. I see others say it took a while for recovery but I was blessed and had surgery on a wednesday and went back to work on a Monday. I was working as a respiratory therapist at the time so I was all over the hospitals and had no problems. I would say go for it. And my insurance did pay for it..about the only thing they did pay for when it came to all the infertility stuff. Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KansasRT View Post
    ... And my insurance did pay for it..about the only thing they did pay for when it came to all the infertility stuff. Good luck!

Doctors should code OD as medically necessary as a "cure" for PCOS/amenorrhea or to relieve PCOS symptoms, it's not coded as something to fix infertility, so most insurances will cover this procedure as they don't see it being related to infertility directly.