swimming away from PCOS newfiecyster's Avatar
    Thanks

Default high blood pressure

For the past while my blood presure been in the 130/98 range on jan 17 i went to my dr about it and she said it was high and put me on atacand 8mgs for blood pressure. Yesterday when i came home on my lunch break i decide to check my blood pressure as i didnt feel the best and it was 146/110. Today it was 130/96 so it a bet better. How common is this with pcos and how long before the meds get it lower. I eat a low sodium diet my dr hope i wont need the meds for a long time. Another thing back in 1992 i had a stroke. My dr also sent me for alot of blood work check out my liver kidneys and heart and lipids
    Lisa 37
    stroke 1992
    dx PCOS 1993
    dx IR 2004
    dx vit d deficent 2010
    dx gastro reflux 2011
    dx high blood pressure 2012
    metformin 1500mgs
    vit d 2000 iu
    atacand 16 mgs

Thanks

I've never been able to get my blood pressure down even with diet and exercise but im also not very good at taking the tablets going back to the doctors to sort it out!!
    Hi, I've had PCOS for a long time Hidden Content
    Im not on any Meds ~ I have High Blood Pressure ~ Not TTC'ing at the moment having a break ~ Need to loose weight & need help Hidden Content

My Blog Hidden Content

swimming away from PCOS newfiecyster's Avatar
    Thanks

hope we both can get it under control
    Lisa 37
    stroke 1992
    dx PCOS 1993
    dx IR 2004
    dx vit d deficent 2010
    dx gastro reflux 2011
    dx high blood pressure 2012
    metformin 1500mgs
    vit d 2000 iu
    atacand 16 mgs

Thanks

I've always been boderline high blood pressure. It's very frustrating My doctor suggested less sodium in my diet, like yours did. Even when I am eating healthy and exercising it can still bea little high, but I also found out that genetics plays a role in your blood pressure. For example, my mom has high blood pressure and she's tiny and eats pretty healthy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,757 Posts

Genetics does play a good role. I am overweight, but my blood pressure was high before I gained much of the weight. My mother is also at- or underweight and has hbp. I have taken a variety of medications over the years. Diovan was amazing but I switched to labetelol because I'm trying to get pregnant. Do they best you can to incorporate healthy habits in your life and stick with them, but don't be too hard on yourself for taking medication. Most importantly, do what you need to do to remember to take it. It's certainly an inconvenience (I take it 2x a day) but it's a necessity. You can get really sick without it.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I too echo what you ladies said. I have been horrible at taking my meds reliably. I finally started taking them with dinner. My Dr said do whatever you have to to remember to take them - I don't care when you take them morning, night, bed time. So I said I would try again. I finally started doing better. I probably get all but 1-2 doses a month now!

Blood pressure medicine can take lots of tweaking to get the right one. I went through 3 different ones before finding one that worked - then only to have insurance say they know best and disallow that one. So after another it was a little better but not really getting the BP down. So then we added one more that is a little booster (I take 2 BP pills now). So talk with your doctor and let them know what BP you are seeing so they can work their black bag magic

As a result my BP has gone from the 160/110 range to 115 / 70. It really can get down!