Thanks

Default Non Classical Adrenal Hyperplasia

I'm just wondering if anybody here knows anything about non classical adrenal hyperplasia? I have been diagnosed with PCOS due to the cysts on my ovaries, but my endo is testing me for non classical adrenal hyperplasia because of an elevated 17-OH progesterone. Can non classical adrenal hyperplasia also cause ovarian cysts? I know the symptoms are very similar to eachother.
    Thanks for any information.

Thanks

I have never heard of cyst on the ovaries due to non classical adrenal hyperplasia. Maybe ask your doctor as some of the symptoms are the same as pcos.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry too much about the non classical adrenal hyperplasia testing. Many girls (myself included!) have to be tested for it to ensure that your PCOS wasn't misdiagnosed. It was so scary to read about NCAH online but NCAH is extremely rare as most people who have adrenal hyperplasia or any of the associated adrenal diseases are diagnosed at birth. I would almost bet money that your endo is making you take the ACTH stimulation test. During this procedure, you get hooked up to an IV and you have your blood tested. Then a nurse injects ACTH into your IV and waits an hour. Then she draws blood again where it is sent to a lab to be tested for cortisol (the stress hormone) levels.

I read a study once than confirms that almost 90% of girls given this test don't have NCAH. Don't sweat it- just be lucky you have an endo that has done all of her homework! =) Good luck!!
    Gym-ing (Droppin' them pounds!)
    Tanning (Getting rid of acne & HS symptoms)
    Loathing PCOS!... Well obv!
    Jersey girl for life... Born and raised =)

Currently searching for teaching job... and cruisin' the clubs for some guidos. Just kidding.
    .... Maybe Hidden Content

Meds: Met, Doxy, Fish Oil, BCP & Jagerbombs

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I think my doctor is being cautious by doing the test. The symptoms are so similar to eachother so it's hard to know what is going on. One of the things I noticed is that with non classical adrenal hyperplasia (what a mouthful) is that kids will develop pubic hair at an early age. I remember being very young, maybe 6 or 7 and having pubic hair, I only remember because my sister made fun of me about it. Maybe I'm just a hairy girl. I used to think I was like a boy, now I feel more like I'm Chewbacca.

Thanks

I have been tested for it too, and also for Cushing's, just to rule out those options before making the official PCOS diagnosis. And that even though my bloodwork didn't indicate any adrenal problem- it is just a part of the procedure. Don't worry.