Thanks

Default mixed with excessive hair

Hi everyone, I went to see my doctor about the possibility of having PCOS. I have all of the classic signs, overweight, especially in my tummy area, adult acne, hair on my chin,under my lip, side burns, and also a mustache (lovely isn't it), also my periods have always been irregular, but I never really gave any thought to it. but now I haven't had a period since october. and i'm not pregnant because I have never been sexually active. Well my doctor brushed it off and said, your just hairy because of your ethnicity. well my dad is jamaican, and my mom is scottish and irish and dutch. and my mom is the hairier out of the two, so i don't think that applies here. also she told me that my periods would come back if i just lost weight ( gee doc, wish i would have thought of that).and while i know that's true, it's still hard for me to lose weight. I guess what I want to know is, that there are other people with pcos, that are mixed or are from a different ethnic background. because i know for a fact, that pcos can affect any type of women regardless of colour. i just feel defeated, and feel like I wasn't listened to. thanks for letting me rant and rave, i needed to get it out. Hope to hear from of you soon

Thanks

Hi LizzyBeth! I can relate. When I first realized my PCOS symptoms every doctor said the same thing to me as well. My decision..dont listen to them, race has absolutely nothing to do with it, however I do know being half Jamaican myself, we can get a little hairy, but thats okay there are ways to get rid of that like shaving with an electrical shaver like I do. As for weight, I would follow a low carb, no meat diet. It doesn't seem as bad as it sounds. I started a week ago, and things aren't so bad. Also, I workout 45 minutes 5 days a week by simply doing cardio. Hope I helped somewhat.

Thanks

I'm the exact same and it took years to diagnose. Find a different Dr. who is willing to listen! I am Native American and Mexican ( Spanish and Native) as well as White ( Irish, English, Welsh, Swedish, French) You literally just described me to a T. Excessive weight esp in the middle, hair growth on my chin and upper lip, acne, always had irregular periods. Then all of a sudden they were non-existent! there are other forums here for insulin resistant Pcos which is what it sounds like you have. As well as other ethnicities, you are not alone!

Thanks

There are definitely people of all races who are affected by PCOS. I'm multiracial--a very varied mix of White, Black, Asian, and potentially Hispanic (not 100% sure but a DNA heritage test indicates that may very well be the case too). I also have excessive hair, mainly under my chin. I've been told the same, that it's just a natural thing for someone of my heritage, despite the fact that everyone assumes my race and usually tends to be wrong. If you can be referred to an endocrinologist, they can test you to see if you may have PCOS. At least, that's what my primary doctor did for me because she felt she wasn't qualified enough to make that diagnosis. Best of luck to you