Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Dark Spots on Skin

So I have developed dark spots in my armpit area. Not IN my armpit, but just below it where the little fatty part is right above where my bra sits. I'm not sure it it is a result of rubbing on my bra or what, but I don't like it! I used to get the same dark spots on my side where the boning of my bra would dig into me. I no longer get those, though. I have thought about skin bleach since summer is coming up. What do y'all think? I'm dieting and kinda hoping that after I lose some weight that the problem will go away. Maybe it is simple and just the bra rubbing my fat spot and making it dark....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,757 Posts

Could it be Acanthosis nigricans? It's a symptom of PCOS, not everyone gets it but it's definitely one of the more frustrating symptoms.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Agreeing with Justine.. sounds like Acanthosis Nigricans. Commonly found with woman with PCOS and or IR under the breast, behind the neck and under arms. I know some people have good luck with calming down the color with lowering or controlling IR issues.. Its also something commonly found on diabetics.
    Me: 33 DH: 29
    DS: July 2002
    DD: October 2010
    DD2: August 2012

Thanks

I had it in my armpits for a long time - scrubbed and scrubbed and it never came off. Met helped with it quite a bit.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Well, I bought different bras. It is right where my bra rubs, not in the actual pit of my arm. It could be what y'all ate saying. I read some on that earlier today and found that weight loss can help if that is a contributing factor. I'm not diabetic so I know that isn't a factor. Like I said, I had spots on my sides for a long time where the boning of my bra would rub, but that has cleared and no problem there now. Oh well, hopefully as I continue to lose weight the spots will get better.

Registered User brokenbabymaker's Avatar
    Thanks

I have dark spots in the "normal" PCOS places. I've had the dark ring around the back of my neck since I was in middle school if not before so over 20 years. My Mom always called it my "dirty neck" and asked me if I washed that nasty thing. Gee thanks Mom Anyhoo I also have dark skin in my inner thighs, and under arms. I have also heard that it is worse with people who have IR and it improves when that becomes better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freebird80 View Post
    Well, I bought different bras. It is right where my bra rubs, not in the actual pit of my arm. It could be what y'all ate saying. I read some on that earlier today and found that weight loss can help if that is a contributing factor. I'm not diabetic so I know that isn't a factor. Like I said, I had spots on my sides for a long time where the boning of my bra would rub, but that has cleared and no problem there now. Oh well, hopefully as I continue to lose weight the spots will get better.
    It could be your bra, but AN tends to be in spots where skin is moist and folded - neck, armpit, thighs, etc. Your bra could be mimicking the "fold" effect. You don't have to be diabetic, just insulin resistant and many of us with PCOS are IR.
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenbabymaker View Post
    I have dark spots in the "normal" PCOS places. I've had the dark ring around the back of my neck since I was in middle school if not before so over 20 years. My Mom always called it my "dirty neck" and asked me if I washed that nasty thing. Gee thanks Mom Anyhoo I also have dark skin in my inner thighs, and under arms. I have also heard that it is worse with people who have IR and it improves when that becomes better.
    Sounds like my mom - she used to scrub my poor sister's neck. Taking met helped quite a bit, as did cutting back on sugar.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Registered User brokenbabymaker's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh yeah she'd scrub on my neck, wipe it down with alcohol and she even tried skin bleaches. She understands now but, at the time it made me very insecure. I never wore my hair up in the back or I'd wear shirts that had collars. My husband is the first person I ever allowed to fully see it. The skin back there is really thick and has very deep ridges.
    I tried Met but, it didn't go very well. I have compromised kidney function as it is and it made it worse.

Transcending the Self.... soulcyster.indeed's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don have dark patches exactly in my armpit area, also the velvetty ones in my inner thighs, close ... cant describe it properly... it appears as if I havn cleaned them properly in months while I do every day. I wanted justed to now abt a scar,not dark patch exactly... in the area under armpit where the strap of bra cuts my skin. Like the way it happens wen u wear undersized clothings... but I believe I wear a well fitting one n nt undersized ones.... does it happens to evry1 to some extent due to the bra strap or is it me?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by defygravity View Post
    I had it in my armpits for a long time - scrubbed and scrubbed and it never came off. Met helped with it quite a bit.
    Same here. I can't stand it, and it's my one symptom that never faded,...pun intended.

I never took met, so I don't know how that would have helped.

Thanks

Not sure of the science behind it, but AN is related to elevated levels of insulin. Once the met helps reduce the impact of the insulin, it helps alleviate the skin. I still get patches now and then, mostly in my armpits, but they fade in and out. It also seemed to be aggravated by harsh body washes. I switched to Dove for a while and it seemed to help, although I certainly wouldn't call it a cure.

If you have an ill-fitting bra, you can definitely get marks from them. That's usually the first sign mine are about to need discarding, they start giving me problems in areas they shouldn't. Also, if I get one that runs a little smaller than others of the same size I can get marks. The best thing is to get yourself professionally fitted now and then for bras, but if you can't find someone to do that for you locally there are some good resources online to do it yourself. This website is a good resource I've used in the past.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Well, I bought 2 new styles of bras and my spots are fading. I figured that's what it was since I had them on my sides from the boning in the band of my bras. Idk why that faded because all of my bras have that boning. I always wore the Lane Bryant deep plunge lace bra and I noticed that it seemed like the cups came up higher on the sides than they used to. I think that was my issue. The new ones are much more comfortable, but I still wear my plunge bras now and then because they are pretty.

Thanks

I like the LB bras, and I really like Target's Gilligan & O'malley bras. They don't last as long as the LB, but they're comfy and inexpensive so I can buy pretty ones a few times a year. They don't always have all the styles in my size (I'm a 40D) but I can usually find sufficient options.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I'll have to look for those. I h e a hard time finding cute bras and panties at target. It seems like ours only caters to size 10 and below. Lol

Registered User oregoncountrygal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Baby oil works very well with this issue I have the brown around my neck and under my arm pits and it really does work well with baby oil I disocoverd with my goddaughter was waxing my armpits and it was so cool allot of the brown came off and I just put it on my neck and wipe off don't have to rub too too hard.