Thanks

Default Spironolactone for my teenage daughter? Side effects, pros and cons?

My daughter (almost age 16) began having irregular periods about a year ago. They were extremely regular before that (she first got her period at age 12 1/2). The doctor diagnosed her with PCOS, but said that really at this young age it could just be her ovaries adjusting to puberty (which seems doubtful to me, but several doctors have told me this, so maybe they're right (???)

Anyway, her symptoms are like most PCOS symptoms: high testosterone, facial hair, acne, and awful PMS. Her periods have been weird. Some months she gets a short period twice in that month. And other times, she won't get her period for 2 or 3 months (and when she does it's very light).

We have been to a few doctors. I really like the latest one we're seeing. She doesn't necessarily want my daughter to go on BCP's. She wants her to trySpironolactone first. She prescribed a very low dose and wants to try it for a few months and then re-evaluate. My daughter's Ferritin is also a bit low, so she wants her additionally to take some iron. (My daughter is not a vegeterian...she eats a very balanced diet including meat).

My daughter doesn't have a boyfriend and is not sexually active yet, so there's no concern right now about pregnancy.

I am having a hard time finding information on the web about side effects of this medication. Can you gals please clue me in about the pros and cons of Spironolactone?

Thank you!

Thanks

Anyone? Please?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,755 Posts

I don't know anything about spiro - but I'll bump you and hope someone will be around that does.
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Registered User vancouverNicole's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have never taken spiro either, but the only warnings I've ever heard about it are to do with birth defects if she were to get pregnant, which it sounds like you've already thought about.
    Me (31) DH (33) - Married Sept 2007
    TTC Naturally Sept 2008-2010
    Clomid round 2 Dec 2010- 50mg - BFP... but didn't stick Hidden Content (confirmed lost at 6 weeks)
    Clomid round 5 August 2011- 50mg + Met & progesterone - BFP!
    Hidden Content Healthy DD born on her due date! May 9th, 2012. Hidden Content

Thanks

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want your daughter to take BCP to help regulate her hormones? I think a good majority of us PCOSers take Metformin as well. I've only just started taking it a few weeks ago and I feel so much better. I don't take spiro or BCP since we are TTC. But since being diagnosed (at a late age) I've done quite a bit of research. BCP may not be the worst idea at her age either. She is 16 and it could give her a chance to get used to taking a pill everyday by the time she may want it for it's traditional use. That's just my opinion of course. Please don't take any offense to it. I don't know how open your relationship with her is, but I know I wasn't real open w/ my mom about sex at that age.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi,

First I want to say it's a good thing that that you are paying attention to some of the symptoms your daughter is experiencing. At her age I had doctors and family members act as if most of the symptoms i.e (facial hair, irregular periods) were something I might just grow out of. And I can tell you know that this is a problem better dealt with while she is young.

While I'm no expert on Spiro or anything else related to PCOS, I have been taking Spiro for about 10 months now and it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. In fact if I had been diagnosed when I was your daughter's age I probably wouldn't have experienced the coarse facial hair that I ended up experiencing later in life. (I'm in my 30's now)
    If she's able to tolerate the medication with little or no side affects I say let her try it. I was told to by my doctor that if I decided to take BC I would probably experience results even quicker, but because I'm so fearful of BC I just take Spiro and deal with what has now almost turned into patches of fuzz. The body hair is basically gone. Each month it gets better for me, however everyone's experience with Spiro is different, some say it does nothing, for others it works wonders. The main thing is to do something to try to spare your daughter years of embarrassment and it seems as though you are on the right track by trying to get more informed.

This is by no means an easy condition and there are so many levels of it.

The pros of taking Spiro: Reduced facial and body hair.
    Cons: Dizziness, irregular periods, nausea, fatigue.

These are the ones that i know of.
    However I haven't experienced them.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by kerrington; 03-08-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks

I highly recommend spiro for teenagers. I started it when I was 18, and far preferred it to metformin. I was diagnosed when I was 15, but since then have managed to reverse my symptoms due to extremely careful diet and exercise. Spiro was definitely a huge help! If you want more information on teenagers and PCOS, I have written a blog about my experiences and all the things that helped me http://peacewithpcos.wordpress.com/

Thanks

If you can afford it, I would also recommend Insulite. It worked wonders for me and it's all natural. It actually reverses the symptoms of pcos instead of "masking" it. The only downside is it's pricey and A LOT of pills!
    Mindy
    DX- 2001
    Beautiful DD- 2007
    Finally! DD #2- 2011
    * Currently nursing

Hidden Content Hidden Content