Thanks

Default Embryo Donation/Adoption

I am currently looking for advise on how to donate my embryos. I have very mixed feelings about the process and want to talk with someone who has done this before or advise on where to start. I struggled with infertility for 10 years and we were finally blessed with twins in 09. To give this gift to someone else would be priceless! But that's just it. I don't want to give it to just anyone. (this is why I do not want to rush to a donor center)
    Christy (34)
    Stephen (31)

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sabcab13 For This Useful Post:

Katybay (04-02-2013),rrazey (11-15-2012)

Thanks

Bumping. I'd like to know more about this process too (I like to keep my options open for starting our family) :-)
    ME (29) DH (29) <3
    5/12/13. 6#15oz & 20.5 inches of beautiful!
    4/6/14. 7#12oz & 20.5 inches of handsome!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I don't have any experience with this, but I'd suggest you start with your fertility center. Find out if they offer a program, or could recommend one. I'd be curious if you have some control (like adoption) or less control (like egg donation). Please let us know what you find out, because it could be a good resource for the rest of us

Thanks!
    Me 35 + DH 35 Hidden Content DS Sept '07 & DS May '13
    Dx Jan/10 + MF . Four Inject + IUI = BFNs
    Nov/10 IVF+ICSI #1 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jan/11 IVF+ICSI #2 ET 2 blasts = BFP & two h/bs! -8wk m/c twin angels
    Jul/11 FET #1: 2 blasts = BFP & h/b! -SCH -9wk m/c angel boy
    Dec/11 FET #2: 2 blasts = BFN
    Mar/12 IVF+ICSI+PGD #3 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jun/12 FET #3: 2 blasts = BFN (2 snow)

Aug '12 natural surprise = DS born May 2, 2013

Please, please stick baby harleymaggiemae's Avatar
    Thanks

Check out this blog. She lost her bio child at almost 23w due to an infection. She went on to embryo adoption, but if memory serves, it was more of an online form where she met the woman who ended up donating her embryos - so the mom picked ultimately, then they moved on to the legality of it all.

It was a while ago, so you may need to scroll back.

http://roadlesstraveledblog.blogspot.com/
    07/10 - Foll/IUI - bfp!, 09/11 - Natural Bfp!, 3m/c - 03/08, 04/09, 11/09
    But these things I plan won't happen right away.
    Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled.
    If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place.
    It will not be late by a single day.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I hope to one day after I have my own blessing, to donate, so information would be awesome.

Thanks

Embryo adoption is very similar to any adoption but you typically go through your fertility clinic or one that specializes in it. The potentional adoptive parents still go through the adoption homestudy process to make sure they are suitable parents. Its a lengthy process as is domestic adoption. Your fertility clinic does not just hand out embryos like they do sperm at the sperm bank It is a bit of a process! What a wonderful gift you are thinking of offering someone!
    Me - Nicole 31 and Hubby - Floyd 36
    Together 14yrs and Married 10yrs
    Three kiddos: Nathan 16, Breonna 14, and Camden 3 all by the miracle of adoption!

Hidden Content

Registered User SeattleKnitChick's Avatar
    Thanks

I've heard of people using their clinic (I think this may be more expensive to the receiving couple), using a website like http://www.miracleswaiting.org/ to connect, or I also know of some people who donated to an acquaintance/friend. There are also some really strict places that have potential "adoptive" couples complete a home study etc. I wish I knew someone who had embryos to donate to me - I've hesitated at using my clinic to do this because it's pretty expensive there and if I'm going to be spending 5-6k I think I would want to spend it on an adoption that I feel has a pretty good chance of working - not one where my fertility challenged body could mess it up!

Good luck! It's AWESOME you are considering this! Whoever receives your gift will be very lucky!
    Jennifer in Seattle
    Currently taking Armour, Prenatal Vit, Vit D and Folic Acid
    Surgery on 8/16/10 to remove a 13lb Hidden Content fibroid! Hysteroscopy on 6/24/11 to remove a uterine polyp.

3/10/11 - Femara Cycle 5mg Days 3-7 = BFN but I did O! Hidden Content
    4/9/11 Femara Cycle 5mg Days 3-7 = BFN but another O!
    6/21/11 Femara Cycle 5mg Days 5-9 = O on blocked side
    7/25/11 Femara Cycle 7.5mg Days 3-7 = BFN

A few more cycles I lost track of including the most recent Femara/Follistim combo - all BFN.

Enjoying being an aunt! YahishaTQ's Avatar
    Thanks

Christy,

I don’t have any direct advice on how to go about this process but I want to share our story.

As you can see from my signature line, my journey to become a mother has been long. We had pretty much closed the door on this idea and were trying to move on. Then early this year my RE called to say that the clinic was terminating their donor embryo program. They offered us the opportunity to select embryos before they transferred them all to a national center.

The only information I have on the donating parents is that via IVF they were able to conceive and come full term. They had decided to not further expand their family and had donated the embryos for other patients a the clink. Since the embryos were not created with the specific intent of being donated there was very limited information on the biological parents: weight, hair color, eye color, blood type, height, race (sometimes) and hardly no medical history.

The donation process is actually very simple. The physicians decide who they will offer this option to and as per my RE it is a very small number of patients that are offered this choice. It is a blind donation in which I do not know the biological parents (wish I could see their picture!). I don’t even know if they were notified that the transfer had been completed.

We completed some notarized documents that state that we accept responsibility of the donated embryos as well as understand that they are not biologically ours. Once we submitted these documents the embryos were officially transferred to our ownership. We also had to complete pysochological conseling to ensure that were we sound mind to make this decision and help work on what part of our story, if anything, we would share with friends and family.

The day that I went to the clinic and flipped through the few pages of information….my breath was literally sucked out of my body. I wept. I wept as I read the biological mother’s age, hair color, eye color. I wept when I realized the boundless generosity of this woman, of her husband. Their selflessness overwhelmed me. They have gone through the same pain my husband and I have to conceive and yet they were trusting us with this gift.

We are just about to start our FET process this month. I know that there are great risks and that a BFN is still a very possible outcome but I will be forever thankful to them for this opportunity.

Good luck with your decisions. Please feel free to contact me any time.
    Lourdes Yahisha
    me:37 - dh:44: Married 1995 / TTC since 1997
    DX PCO, Endometriosis Stage IV, DH - azoospermia
    IVF#1: Jan/Feb 2004 - canceled poor response -
    IVF#2: Mar/Apr 2004 - 7 retrieved, 1 fertilized, BFN
    IVF#3: April 2005 - ovidrel didn't take - 0 retrieved
    IVF#4: July 2005 - double ovidrel - 10 retrieved 3 transfered - BFN
    IVF# 5: April 2006 - doulble ovidrel - 15 retrieved - 3 transfered - BFN
    IVF#6: April 2009 BFN
    Rx: Glumetza, Synthroid, & Lots of surgeries

Thanks

We are currently doing IUI cycles, there is some male factor combined with my PCOS. A few days ago, we sat with our RE here in Seattle, and it looks like IVF is somewhere in our near future. While I was talking with my nurse, and signing all of the paperwork, we started discussing embryo donation. We have to make a decision now, about what will happen to our embryos should we "abandon" them, or no longer wish to use them. Our clinic is in the beginning stages of starting an embryo donation program, and according to the nurse, the process will be less restrictive, and less arbitrary than some of the private embryo adoption agencies. It is something worth considering.

Thanks

My husband and I are starting the process of adopting embryos the first of the year and from what I have gathered from my research the process varies greatly depending on where you live. You can also have different levels ofinvolvement with picking the adoptive parents. I just want to say thank you soso so much for passing on the joy of motherhood! I know how much this means tome and how much it will mean to the lucky lady/couple that receives your embryos!

Thanks

We are looking to adopt embryos!
    Hello! Yes, We are looking to adopt embryos. My husband and I have been married for 8 yrs.
    We have had such a long journey on the infertility path. We do have a son from embryos we adopted from a couple from MN.
    We have an open adoption. It is really positive and has worked out really well. We see then at least once a year.
    Otherwise we call each other. We have established a relationship that works good for us.

I would love to talk to you and tell you more about our family.
    My husband and I grew up in the same hometown in SD. We went to the same schools all the way through High School. I moved to Mpls to go to college for photography and He stay to go to our Hometown University as an art student (bronze sculptor). We are each others best friends and would not have it any other way. We love to giggle and have a million and one inside jokes.
    He was a city slicker and I grew up on a farm. His father had a wood shop that he and his friends worked in. Along with helping out at his Grandfathers paint business. He grew up with 4 brother and 2 sisters. I grew up with 3 sister and 2 brothers like I said on a farm. I learned how to drive a tractor, combine, grain truck ect.. best of all I raised and showed horses.

I would love to talk to you more and hear a response back from you!