Thanks

Default Metformin - weight - HELP

Hi- my consultant spoke to me for the 1st time about metformin and all he talked about was that it would help me loose weight. I feel frustrated because he didnt say anything else about it, so i was wondering what its other benefits for pcos are e.g does it help to bring back a period. Like i said all he said about it was the weight thing, but absolutely nothing else. If any of you could let me know how you have felt with it. i dont know about going on it as i dont have enough info however im worried as i havent had a period for a year and a half. sorry to ramble but if anyone could let me know your thoguhts and your experiences i would really really appreciate it. thank you

Thanks

Hi

I was on metformin for 5 years before conceiving with my first child. It helped me loose a small amount of weight and my periods were slightly more regular but not that good. I got some horrible side effects at first but this does pass.

I had clomid and metformin together when I conceived. I am back on metformin for last 3 years whilst ttc for baby no2. Have odd side effect and so far have been loosing odd couple of lb's in weight which has been good. My periods however are all over the place.

Dont let this put you off though as everyone responds differently to it
    Sarah (29) Hidden Content DH Adam (32)
    TTC 2002
    BFP Oct 2006
    Daughter born 24/5/07
    TTC 2008
    Clomid started 21/3/12
    BFP 29/4/13
    Son born 22/12/13

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

From what I see I think the majority of PCOSers take metformin for insulin resistance. I've been taking it since Feb 14th and currently on 1500mg. I feel a ton better. I don't have sugar crashes anymore where I would go from not hungry to omg I need to eat NOW. I try to watch my carbs and refined sugars (although not very strictly) and I've lost 15lbs since I've started it. You should google "metformin for PCOS", you should find some useful info on what the domino effect is with your hormones and why they think you should take it.

Thanks

I've been on met since 2009. Yes, starting it can give some nasty s/e, but they go away after a couple of weeks.

It did help regulate my cycles, though by "regulate" I mean they were between 25 and 40 days long. But at least they were that. Before met, it could be six or more months before AF would visit. But also, my cycles get far more predictable when I loose weight. I've seen that 3 or 4 times . It doesn't have to be a lot, but just the process of losing seems to make my body respond well.

I believe in met's ability to help sustain a pregnancy for a lot of us PCOS women, too. I mc'd my first baby when I was off it, but I've been on it this whole pregnancy, and things are going beautifully. And I've even reading a lot of cysters have better milk supply while on it if they want to bf. I hope this information is useful to you. There's a ton of info about it an PCOS on the internet though, so definitely do your research if you feel questionable about going on it.
    Melissa & Luke Married since Sept. 2006

TTC since March 2008
    Met ER 750 mg 2x daily - Aug 2010
    BFP - 11/23/2010!! MC - 12/5/10 Hidden Content
    50 mg clomid & Met Oct. 2011 - BFP 11/1/11!!

DD born July 2012 Hidden Content

Thanks

To answer the period question - yes if the Metformin is working it should help you to get AF somewhat regularly. My doctor told me I would know if it was working if I started getting my period without having to take provera. From what I've seen, weight loss is also common but that isn't really the medication's main purpose.

I just started taking it and haven't noticed any side effects so far but I am also on a low dose. I found the Wikipedia article on it somewhat helpful for answering basic questions.

Hidden Content
    Me (28) + DH (32) + DD (infant) +
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

There is some good information on WebMD: Put this into your web browser address bar: women.webmd.com/metformin-glucophage-for-polycystic-ovary-syndrome
    (I don't have enough posts yet to use links, sorry!)

There are some side effects - I was on a low dose of Metformin over 5 years ago when first diagnosed with PCOS, along with Yaz birth control pill. Both helped me tremendously! No ovary pain and I did lose some weight. My cystic acne and hairy toes/knuckles/upper lip also subsided. I took myself off Met about 2 years ago...much to my recent regret. In the past 6 months I've put on 15 pounds, acne is back, and I'm losing hair in an androgenic alopecia manner (male hair loss on women). A few weeks ago I went back on Metformin with exciting results. With healthy eating and walking 2-3 miles each day I'm getting back on track. I've lost a little weight, acne is completely gone, and my hair loss is less. I'm not and have never been trying to conceive, I just needed to deal with the insulin resistance, being overweight, ovary pain, and metabolic syndrome that ensued from not treating my PCOS.

Now --- when I very first went on Metformin the pharmacy messed up the Rx and didn't fill it with the XR (extended release) version. My side effects just from 500mg were HORRID. I mean...like...I had to have a bathroom within my vicinity for 3 hrs after taking one - even if I ate a nice whole grain meal. I found relief by taking it at night with a bowl of multigrain cheerios and soy milk.

This time - I'm on XR and popped 1000mg straight away with NO ILL EFFECTS. So - if you are not on XR, do talk to your doctor about it. I hate to see women turned off Met b/c of the side effects. If you DO have them, it WILL get better. Mainly watch what you eat --- no high fat, try to cut refined sugars, and try to eat whole grains while generally cutting carbs. I really liked the book "the PCOS Diet Book" when I first started dealing with this. It helped teach me about low-glycemic index eating and why it's important for IR/PCOS.

There are resources that abound online about PCOS and the link to IR or pre-diabetes. Come up with some questions to ask your doctor. Be sure to have the right bloodwork in 3 months to check your kidney/liver function while on Metformin. If you have "crashes" while starting Met...meaning...all of a sudden you are shaky and feel like passing out b/c you aren't used to the right insulin production/levels...do carry with you glucose tablets or a very sugary candy. I had issues when I started b/c I so messed up, I went the other way for a few weeks and needed to carry glucose tabs.

GOOD LUCK Sometimes, doctors need patients to ask questions. I know that's not always easy with some doctors. I find it helps to go in with a pad of paper and questions written down. I'll hand the doctor the paper and say, "I don't want to forgot to go over these questions before I leave or before I get too shy/intimidated to ask" THat's helped me tremendously.

Adrienne

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nebulosity For This Useful Post:

FireflyT (04-01-2012),MissyLouWho (04-10-2012)

Thanks

Oh...and on the weight loss. Metformin alone might help a little --- but really --- if you have been told you need to lose weight, then make a plan to. Eat healthier and exercise --- even if that means walking around the block for 20 minutes, it's something. For healthier eating, if you are struggling then even simple changes like "no butter" or "a serving of cereal, like choco-rice krispies replaces an evening bowl of icecream" can begin to help. It's about habit changing Then, once you can do a few little things you might have the power to do something more like Weight Watchers points or joining a gym or finding a walking buddy (Meetup is great for that! Most women's groups have walking buddy events).

GOOD LUCK
    Adrienne

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nebulosity For This Useful Post:

FireflyT (04-02-2012)

Thanks

Actually I have been noticing this "crash" type feeling you mentioned, my Doctor didn't mention anything about glucose tabs, can you buy those in store or do you need a prescription? The candy I can certainly do though. Thanks for all your input!

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    There are resources that abound online about PCOS and the link to IR or pre-diabetes. Come up with some questions to ask your doctor. Be sure to have the right bloodwork in 3 months to check your kidney/liver function while on Metformin. If you have "crashes" while starting Met...meaning...all of a sudden you are shaky and feel like passing out b/c you aren't used to the right insulin production/levels...do carry with you glucose tablets or a very sugary candy. I had issues when I started b/c I so messed up, I went the other way for a few weeks and needed to carry glucose tabs.

Hidden Content
    Me (28) + DH (32) + DD (infant) +
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

you can get them at any pharmacy - usually with the diabetic supplies - just ask the pharmacy tech

If I remember right...I read about it in the larger insert with my first Rx about it causing extremely low sugar which can make you shaky, very hungry in an "uh-oh something is wrong" kinda way.

Adrienne

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nebulosity For This Useful Post:

FireflyT (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you have "crashes" while starting Met...meaning...all of a sudden you are shaky and feel like passing out b/c you aren't used to the right insulin production/levels...do carry with you glucose tablets or a very sugary candy. I had issues when I started b/c I so messed up, I went the other way for a few weeks and needed to carry glucose tabs.
    I have had a hard time with sugar cravings since starting Met. I find that sometimes if i don't eat enough at a meal when i take the ER 500 mg pill, i will later be succumbing to something sweet and unhealthy for me. Which is really disheartening to me since i really want to be successful with weight loss and a healthy diet/exercise routine. When i have this feeling it is usually a couple hours after taking the pill and i get very tired and weak and a little dizzy. Sometimes i curb it with some peanut M&Ms but sometimes it is as bad as cheesecake or a snickers bar. Things i used to never allow myself to eat before starting the metformin. Now i just feel like my body is compelled to eat it. The satisfaction factor is always very high, it's almost like a drug, the elation i feel after eating something sweet. So i am wondering is this similar to the "crashing" you are talking about? I thought that met is not supposed to cause hypoglycemia? Is it just that my body is not used to the drug?

just curious about this "crash" you speak of.
    "Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The links in this thread may help:

http://www.soulcysters.net/showthrea...ould-I-take-it

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am sorry maybe you could be a little more specific and tell which links exactly, may help?
    "Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours."