Thread: Vitamins!

Thanks

Exclamation Vitamins!

Hey all!

Quick question;

I am trying to "treat" my PCOS as naturally as I can. I currently only take a daily multivitamin [Centrum for Women].

I have been reading my PCOS handbook and it says taking extra vitamins on top of your multi is beneficial?

I'm confused about how much of what is a good amount to take. I went out today and bought B50 Complex, wanting to take one a day. I eventually want to add Chromium [200-600mcg?] amongst others.

However, I'm paranoid about everything so I'm scared of over-dosing.

Has anyone else taken it upon themselves to add in extra B complex, Chromium, Omega 3's, etc?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,755 Posts

I take a pre-natal, folic acid, Calcium, Magnesium, DHA, and vitamin D. What you want to take probably depends on what it is you're trying to treat. Are you TTC? Trying to restore cycles? Treat specific side effects?
    Justine (33) Hidden Content DH (34)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "In truth, the art of baby making is not an art at all, nor even a science,
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

@ defygravity - Thanks for your response love! I'm not TTC as of yet but we plan to in the somewhat near future. I'm basically concerned that I'm going to overdose by taking a multivitamin as well as other supplements. I can't seem to find an exact "guide" of maximum intakes for vitamins.

I would say I'm trying to treat side effects. I've been feeling extremely fatigued lately, very low energy, etc. I was on the pill 2 years ago and I went off of it randomly and since then I've had my period but is there any vitamin that helps extend the LP? My period cycle is anywhere from 32 days - 37 days, so frustrating.

Hope I haven't been to confusing, lol.

Thanks

Progesterone helps with LP length - do you know for sure it's your luteal phase that is short? Normally that phase is pretty consistent in length but the follicular phase can vary. I've never tried natural progesterone cream but there are many threads here for it.

For energy, I'm not too sure about vitamins. What is your diet like? Do you exercise?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    but completely governed by the absolute nonsensical unknown that is at the heart of all existence here on earth and elsewhere." - Hidden Content Hidden Content

Transcending the Self.... soulcyster.indeed's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Till date I hav been to 4 different docs. They don seem to be open enuf. The last one I had been to asked me that who asked me to undergo so many tests when I showed him 3-4 blood reports that showed levels outside the normal range. They r nt very willing to suggest/advice if I wan to take any particular vitamin. Do you think it will be ok if I take it own my own? If so, how do I find out the name of pill coz in many multivitamins tht I hav come across, they hav lesser amt of mineral (eg. abt 50-75 mcg chromium) than I want to take ?

Thanks

I don't know much about chromium in and of itself, but same question - what's your diet like?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Transcending the Self.... soulcyster.indeed's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am a lean cyster on low GI diet. 1 tbs ground flaxseed with breakfast. 1/2 tsb cinnamon with lunch n dinner. (my blood sugar is already on the lower end, shud I b taking cinnamon?)
    I am an Indian, diet mostly consist of wholewheat roti(flat indian bread), vegetables, fruits, nuts and fruit juice (with no added sugar) at times and brown rice ocassionally...

Breakfast - Oats/semolina/finger-millets. Tulsi - green tea 2-3 times a day. Warm milk with 1tbs almond oil. before sleep. No exercise.. planning to start very soon.
    Please suggest

Thanks

If your blood sugar is on the lower end you may want to skip a chromium supplement, if it's taken at all it's taken to help with insulin resistance. It's likely that most people who take it, provided they are getting a reasonable diet, are getting enough as it is. Here's a pretty easy-to-follow article about it, non-pregnant adult women need 25mcg/day and just one egg or one apple has more than that. http://drbenkim.com/nutrient-chromium.html
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Sorry for not responding sooner. I started taking my B50 Complex yesterday after researching endless hours of the many benefits. The main reason I was worried to supplement on top of my multi is because I'm afraid of overdose. However, after reading, it seems you have to intake quite a hefty amount of B vitamins for you to actually have any adverse reactions, and they are water soluble, so excess is flushed out through the urinary tract.

Basically, the PCOS handbook says to take a multivitamin so you're getting a little bit of everything and then supplement with extra's that are proven to be beneficial to women with PCOS [BComplex, Chromium, Vitamin D, etc]

That's why I posted here - was hoping to see some of our cysters vitamin "regimens" if you will.

Thanks

I have excess androgens with cysts outside my ovaries which they suspect are causing excess androgens. I'm trying Chromium 200 and EOP 3000mg to see if it helps. The spiro was great but it caused me to have too much potassium.