Thanks

Default Testosterone Levels

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to know what everyones testosterone levels have been when they were diagnosed with PCOS.

I had blood work done, and my testosterone level was 68, however the doctor told me this was normal. I really dont think its normal. I have all the signs of PCOS (irregular period, facial/body hair, round stomach, acne, oily skin/hair).

So I'm just wondering what the level was for others, for the doctor to actually say "yes, you have PCOS"

Thanks!

Thanks

Mine was in the 80s or 90s. I had to beg the doctor to even test my testosterone levels in the first place... she said they don't ever test it for women, but I was having crazy hair loss, oily skin and hair, acne all over my face, all of this after stopping the birth control pill... so I knew somehting was wrong. She said it was normal after stopping the bcp...and said I didn't have PCOS because I was too thin (WHAT!) I knew better. So yeah, when the blood work came back she was shocked at how high it was.

The high testosterone levels led her to doing the ultrasound which showed that I did indeed have PCOS... (oops! lol)

The only thing (other than the bcp) that has brought the level down and completely stopped the acne and hair loss was spironolactone. I take a very small dose and it's enough for me.

Do not give up; if your dr doesn't think it's high enough to consider PCOS get a 2nd opinion. It took me three doctors to get there.
    Daily: 1000 mg Metformin, 50 mg Spiro, 3000 iu vit D, Cytozyme PT/HPT, Livotrit PlusHidden Content

Thanks

It is really aggravating to get doctors to give you answers. Alot of doctors dont even know much about PCOS. I have been checked by 2 different doctors (one in Canada, and one in the US) and both tell me that I dont it, even though I have all the symptoms. The one in Canada even admitted to me that she doesnt know much about PCOS, and that once I have difficulty conceiving, then I should come back and she can help me :s

I will say this much...because neither doctor could help me, and I wanted to regulate my period, I started taking vitex. Within a month I saw a difference. I got lazy about it and took it for only 3 months, but for those 3 months, I had my period every 30 days! I am thinking about going on it again, as my cycle ranges from 32-40 days, but is never consistent. I am also going to start temping to see if I am actually even ovulating - because even though I get a period every month (or so) Im not sure if I am ovulating.

Thanks for your answer!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's been so long since I was first diagnosed that I don't recall what the numbers were, but they were very high. (They're normal now).

I was on spiro for less than a year, and then on Eulexin. Back then there was a lot of controversy about women (in the US) taking Eulexin, but it worked VERY well for me, and really addressed the androgen-related pcos issues.

At the same time, I also started strength training. I figured since I had all this excess testosterone, I'd put it to work developing some nice lean muscle. Worked like a charm. I went from being a distinct 'apple shape' to just 'normal'.

And speaking of 'normal'...it took less than a year of eulexin and working out (and diet) to get my androgens down to normal, for the first time, since probably 1st grade.

Good luck in your search, and keep pestering the doctors.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think the lab my doctor send blood to uses a different measurement. My level at diagnoses was 8.5, with normal being less than 6.4

Thanks

thanks for the information everyone. If I am not pregnant by July (which I doubt will happen) I am going to go back to a new doctor and try to have them figure out if I do have PCOS or not (I really do think I have it). Im moving to a new city in the beginning of June, that is why I am giving it until July. That way I will be consistent with one doctor.

3DS + 1DD = 1 CRAZY momma sugarbug's Avatar
    Thanks

When I was tested (over a decade ago) 80 or less was normal. I was just like you- I KNEW I had it, and my 1st attempt to get dx'd was based souly on my testosterone level, which @ that time was 70-something, so I was told to just lose weight & blah blah blah... A year later I was retested and my testosterone level was over 80, so I got my dx (stupid, eh?) and then I saw my pearl covered ovaries for the first time (which sometimes clear up!)

Its important to renember that PCOS is an endocrine (hormonal) disorder, and that our hormones fluctuate. No one test can give an accurate diagnosis.

Good luck!!
    DS#1 my Hidden Content 1998 (14)
    DS#2 my miracle 2004 (8)
    DS#3 my blessing adopted in 2006 (7)
    DD!!! my surprise & my last 2012