Thread: Met and dairy

Waiting for our threesome dara0220's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Met and dairy

Anyone else have a really hard time with met and any type of dairy product? I've been on 2000mg a day for almost 6 months, but it seems like the last couple of months, whenever I eat dairy, I end up in the bathroom within a couple hours. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas to help with this, other than not eat dairy.
    Me-28, DH-32
    TTC since 2009. Starting femara/follistim combo, with Met, folic acid, royal jelly, Acupuncture, progesterone, and prenatals
    2nd femara/follistim combo, started Oct 2nd...BFP 14dpo (11/2/12) hcg 91! 17 dpo beta 456, progesterone 115 21 dpo beta 2026...darn thyroid, lets add levothyroxine to the mix too!
    TRIPLETS!!!!!!!Babies arrived at 27 weeks on April 9th, 2013. Doing some nicu time, praying for some positive outcomes.
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have this problem! I just started met about a month ago, so I would make smoothies and things of that sort and then throw up and have diarrhea for hours afterward. I wasn't sure if it was just me getting used to metformin or not, but then I realized it's just dairy with metformin. Cheesecake, heavy cream, and ice cream makes me incredibly sick! The weird thing is that cheese doesn't, like string cheese and shredded cheese. I don't have any ideas, but I'd like to hear some ideas too because I love cheesecake
    Reyna (25) Hunky husband (29) Hidden Content
    TTC (between deployments) since 2009.
    Currently on Femara unmonitored & Metformin.

Thanks

Cheese doesn't bother me either! I agree about everything else though...cheesecake, milk (I LOVE milk), and ice cream really bother me. I don't want to give them up, but I have already cut back on them big time. I know that when you have a baby, you change a lot of things about yourself. But I don't want to look back in 5 years, STILL not have a baby, and realized I made myself miserable by giving up all of my favorite things. Hoping someone will have some ideas!
    Me-28, DH-32
    TTC since 2009. Starting femara/follistim combo, with Met, folic acid, royal jelly, Acupuncture, progesterone, and prenatals
    2nd femara/follistim combo, started Oct 2nd...BFP 14dpo (11/2/12) hcg 91! 17 dpo beta 456, progesterone 115 21 dpo beta 2026...darn thyroid, lets add levothyroxine to the mix too!
    TRIPLETS!!!!!!!Babies arrived at 27 weeks on April 9th, 2013. Doing some nicu time, praying for some positive outcomes.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Perhaps it's the sugars in the milk (lactose). Cheesecake and ice cream are loaded with sugar from the milk but also the added sugar which will upset your stomach while on met. Maybe you should switch to a lactose free milk like Lactaid and see if your side effects change.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pbowman For This Useful Post:

ReynaAlc (04-05-2012)

Thanks

i have the issue with ice cream, but not cheese or greek yogurt. i think it's what the PP said about the sugar. if i eat any type of sugary dessert, i will hold off on taking my met (obviously defeating the purpose in a way,lol). really the only things that bother me are sugary types of things.
    Hidden Content --- and praying for a new baby!
    3 M/C, dx with PCOS-IR thin cyster, start Metformin and finally after 4 years TTC ... DD1 1/21/08
    8 Clomid cycles, trigger & TI = 1 angel baby Sarah, Trisomy 12 and 7 BFNs
    3 Femara, Dex, trigger & TI = 3 BFNs
    Follistim, Dex, aspiring, Prometrium & IUI = DD2 11/14/12 ... after 3 years TTC
    13dpo: 142 ~ 16 dpo: 518 ~ 19dpo: 1847 ~ 23 dpo: 9050

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbowman View Post
    Perhaps it's the sugars in the milk (lactose). Cheesecake and ice cream are loaded with sugar from the milk but also the added sugar which will upset your stomach while on met. Maybe you should switch to a lactose free milk like Lactaid and see if your side effects change.
    When I read the original post I thought it was interesting. I actually take my MetXR at night with a glass of milk and have not found it an issue. Then I read Pbowman's post and I realized maybe your problem is the lactose! I have always been lactose intolerant, so I drink Lactaid milk and take Lactaid pills with any milk products. Try switching to Lactaid milk and see if it solves the problem
    Me 35 + DH 35 Hidden Content DS Sept '07 & DS May '13
    Dx Jan/10 + MF . Four Inject + IUI = BFNs
    Nov/10 IVF+ICSI #1 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jan/11 IVF+ICSI #2 ET 2 blasts = BFP & two h/bs! -8wk m/c twin angels
    Jul/11 FET #1: 2 blasts = BFP & h/b! -SCH -9wk m/c angel boy
    Dec/11 FET #2: 2 blasts = BFN
    Mar/12 IVF+ICSI+PGD #3 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jun/12 FET #3: 2 blasts = BFN (2 snow)

Aug '12 natural surprise = DS born May 2, 2013

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple Blossom For This Useful Post:

ReynaAlc (04-16-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aeb121 View Post
    i have the issue with ice cream, but not cheese or greek yogurt. i think it's what the PP said about the sugar. if i eat any type of sugary dessert, i will hold off on taking my met (obviously defeating the purpose in a way,lol). really the only things that bother me are sugary types of things.
    The straining process of Greek yogurt actually takes out 95% of the lactose (milk sugars).
    Me 35 + DH 35 Hidden Content DS Sept '07 & DS May '13
    Dx Jan/10 + MF . Four Inject + IUI = BFNs
    Nov/10 IVF+ICSI #1 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jan/11 IVF+ICSI #2 ET 2 blasts = BFP & two h/bs! -8wk m/c twin angels
    Jul/11 FET #1: 2 blasts = BFP & h/b! -SCH -9wk m/c angel boy
    Dec/11 FET #2: 2 blasts = BFN
    Mar/12 IVF+ICSI+PGD #3 ET 2 blasts = BFN
    Jun/12 FET #3: 2 blasts = BFN (2 snow)

Aug '12 natural surprise = DS born May 2, 2013

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple Blossom For This Useful Post:

aeb121 (04-08-2012)

Thanks

Thank you! I've wondered if it was the lactose. I don't really eat anything other than milk that bothers me. Well, except lettuce but I've always had a problem with that since I was a kid.
    Me-28, DH-32
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I seem to have problems if I have massive doses of dairy. If I have a small bit it doesn't bother me for example a slice of cheese is fine. If I eat say pizza or something really creamy it really bothers me. I've pretty much cut dairy out of my diet, I still get my veggie breakfast sandwich from starbucks which has a slice of cheese on it but that's it. I also notice when I cut dairy out of my diet my acme is a lot better and my skin looks a lot better, once in a blue moon when I eat say pizza or something with a lot of diary/cheese I break out in pimples all over.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Everytime! Any time I have dairy..that's when it seems to upset my tummy! Any other time- it's fine!

Thanks

Lettuce gets me terrible to. Within 30 minutes of eating it, I'm in the bathroom. But that was sometimes before met too. It's all worth it for a baby tho.
    Me-28, DH-32
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I've always had problems with dairy, but ever since I started taking metformin I've realized a change, this must be it. I love string cheese but now when I eat it, I end up with an upset stomach. I never really thought about that before!

Thanks

Dairy and Met dont work for me either at allllllll lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, too recently to be proud of, I was cocky and thought the metformin wouldn't hit me so bad, because I only had cheese and carbs (though it was a lot of cheese and carbs in stromboli form!) Luckily, I made it home just in time but it was too close for comfort!! Now I know, moderation or not at all!
    Reyna (25) Hunky husband (29) Hidden Content
    TTC (between deployments) since 2009.
    Currently on Femara unmonitored & Metformin.